fishing around Whitefish, village Apgar, Many Glacier

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

adamshatch
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

fishing around Whitefish, village Apgar, Many Glacier

Post by adamshatch »

Hello all, I will be visiting with my family the first week of July, I will have a fly rod and a spinning reel. Not sure exactly what tackle to pack. Was looking for options for fishing in the above locations. I also have a 10 and 13 year old the will be with me at times. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thank you for your time.
Jodie
netresult

Re: fishing around Whitefish, village Apgar, Many Glacier

Post by netresult »

I did not flyfish when we were in the park. However, I did catch some Westslope Cutties at the outlet at Kintla Lake and along Lake McDonald at a couple different pull off's from shore. Small spinners,spoons and Jake's lures all caught a few fish. Also caught a couple of small Bull Trout from shore in Hungry Horse Res. We were there late August thru Labor Day.
adamshatch

Post by adamshatch »

Thank you so much for the info. It is really appreciated. Hoping to get my children into some fish! :)
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

I think there are some fishing stores in Whitefish and Kalispell so if you are passing through there you might want to stop and get some further information. You may also be lucky enough to find a ranger at one of the visitors centers who is a fisherman and get give you some advice as well.

hope you have a great time and will post a report of your trip.

Lyman
Tara
Gender?: Female

Post by Tara »

Upper Two Medicine Lake !
jtdan1

Post by jtdan1 »

Probably a late reply as I'm a new member.
Fishing around Whitefish, hike into Hole in the Wall Lake and Finger Lake, or try Dollar Lake and Little Beaver Lake. All these lakes have good trout populations.
Apgar, Lake McDonald is not the best fishing lake but Rocky Point Trail is only 30 minutes hike to the point from the campground at Fish Creek and you can catch lake trout with spinning gear if you use large spoons 3/4 ounce or 1/2 ounce and change speeds reeling in.
Quarter Circle bridge is great fishing this time of year because the lower McDonald Creek has luke warm clean water mixing into the cold snowmelt of the Middle Fork. MT fishing license required.
Also could head up to Howe Lake on the Inside North Fork Road and fly fish for small cutthroat. A better place for birdwatching than fishing.
Camas creek at the closure of the Inside road can be decent also for small cutthroat but the mosquitoes are thick.
Many Glacier has a lot of options, Lake Sherburne has northern pike if you want a good pike fishing lake. Swiftcurrent lake can be ok for trout.
Almost everything else is a decent hike out or closed to fishing.
You are probably already out there fishing some spots but if you want some more tips and info, you can message me or post on this thread and I'll be more than happy to give more ideas.

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”