Chat Room: Opening links in a chat post

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Chat Room: Opening links in a chat post

Post by mattB »

Would it be possible to change the preference for the Chat Room so that when you click a link in a posting that it opens in a new tab, or a new window?

I often like to open links, but then would like to go on reading chat messages, and go back to checkout the link later.. Its pretty easy to just do a cntrl-click on the link which opens it in a new tab. But it might be better to change the preference so that it would automatically open in a new tab.

Just curious, if its possible and which people would prefer.

Matt
PeteE

Re: Chat Room: Opening links in a chat post

Post by PeteE »

dpratt wrote:I looked at what tools I have available as a moderator and don't see anything along those lines. I'll let Dave chime in.

I just right-click the link and choose "Open in new tab". Same thing as Cntrl-click, but you can do it while sipping coffee with your non-mouse hand. 8)
Precisely what I do. 8)
It'd be cool if you could have links open as Matt suggests.
Is that a "browser" option with some browsers?

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

It is not an option on this version of the software, so I just right click open in a new tab. I do know that depending on which browser you are using, you can configure it to open links in a new tab or a new window. That said, I am using the latest version of this particular chat software and if I want to upgrade it, I run a strong chance of loosing the database that is where everything is stored because the developers of this software changed how the database interacts with the software.

So right now, I am not willing to take the chance to loose all these years and start over! :shock:

But again, most modern browsers can be set up to do that function by the way you configure them.

Thanks, let me know if you have anymore questions.

Dave
mattB

Post by mattB »

Thanks for the info! It's a pretty minor inconvenience, but I thought I'd ask!
I'll just have to practice my coffee sipping and right-clicking technique!! :) :D :) :D
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Post by NDjason »

If you use Chrome for your browser, there is at least one available plug-in you can install that will do it automatically - called, amazingly enough, "Open in new tab." You just set the domain of specific sites you want to do it for and it will automatically open links in a new tab. Although take this with a grain of salt, because I've never actually used it.

Instead, I have a programmable mouse with a clickable center wheel. I've set the click on the center mouse to automatically open links in a new tab.

So there are options!
~ jason

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”