An 8 hr video--Of a hike to Iceberg

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

An 8 hr video--Of a hike to Iceberg

Post by Jay w »

Would anyone watch it? I was listening to a TED talk today about a TV station in Norway that aired a 7 hr video of train ride from Bergen to Oslo. It was a big hit and about a quarter of the Norwegian population tuned in. Then they followed that up with a multi-day boat trip (3 days?)...it was continuous coverage and people showed up along the route to "be in the coverage." Of course part of the attraction was that this was live TV. I'm not sure it would translate to video....but it got me thinking...would a multi-hour video of a Glacier hike totally bomb? Would it get one view?

ADHD Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: An 8 hr video--Of a hike to Iceberg

Post by tibber »

Well I take a lot of video and blend my pictures into the videos which can make them rather long. For example, I created 12 videos about 15 minutes each for the Boulder Pass Backpack The analytics on my videos show that most folks don't hang in there for the duration. However, that could be a commentary about me, the subject matter, the quality, the music, etc... I don't really know. I have been told many times that my videos are too long even though you don't have to watch the entire 15 minutes at one time. Also, I used to not include the pictures but many people say they like the blend of both.
So whether someone would watch an 8 hr video... don't think so. I doubt I would even watch that much myself. I do know when I am filming on the trail and I encounter hikers or bikers I always say "smile for youtube" and they get a big kick out of it and oblige. I do tell people to grab a sandwich and a beer and come hike with me via my videos :) .
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

Tibber,
we're one of those that hung in there for your backpack up to Hole and Boulder Pass. I enjoyed your footage and especially your knowledge of wildflowers. You showed so many that we had not noticed or identified before. I had in mind to rerun your video before my next trip as a primer about the wildflowers. Very enjoyable!

Gotta say, i really enjoy those trail videos (watching almost all of Joey Coconato's 'Myownfrontier'). I certainly virtually hiked almost all of the 734 miles that Jake Bramante filmed. :D

Yeah JayW, we're probably just smitten enough with Glacier to watch a Livefeed to Iceburg. But that means i'd have to pull myself away from the Bear Den and Decorah Eagles.....
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Jay,

I think it would probably work as long as you made a special effort to try to keep the camera as steady as possible and not make us too dizzy.

On the other hand, maybe after a few beers, we wouldn't notice any problems at all.

Lyman
davidwayne

Post by davidwayne »

I think it would be excellent! I've been using lots of virtual scenery hikes on Youtube during treadmill sessions and love them. So far I have not found any from Glacier. I dont know what kind of GoPro or other camera they use, but most are not too shaky or jumpy.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

TnTammy wrote:Tibber,
we're one of those that hung in there for your backpack up to Hole and Boulder Pass. I enjoyed your footage and especially your knowledge of wildflowers. You showed so many that we had not noticed or identified before. I had in mind to rerun your video before my next trip as a primer about the wildflowers. Very enjoyable!

Gotta say, i really enjoy those trail videos (watching almost all of Joey Coconato's 'Myownfrontier'). I certainly virtually hiked almost all of the 734 miles that Jake Bramante filmed. :D

Yeah JayW, we're probably just smitten enough with Glacier to watch a Livefeed to Iceburg. But that means i'd have to pull myself away from the Bear Den and Decorah Eagles.....
I'm glad you hang in there. I do love the wildflowers and have spent hours learning what they are since I did the hike to Iceberg in 2010.
I watch other hiking videos as well especially last year in preparation for the Boulder Pass backpack.

davidwayne wrote:I think it would be excellent! I've been using lots of virtual scenery hikes on Youtube during treadmill sessions and love them. So far I have not found any from Glacier. I dont know what kind of GoPro or other camera they use, but most are not too shaky or jumpy.
Well I use a pretty good camera with pretty decent stabilization and then I use youtube's stabilizer to help with the shaking but then sometimes the scenery bounces around a tad; however the saguaros look pretty cool when they dance :wink: . Here is the link to just my Glacier Park playlist: I have tons of other hiking videos from Arizona, and various other states.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

That's quite a list!

Most of my videos (all 10, hah), have about 30 views, but one has 300 views.

No sure why, but I'll blame on Randy's music (good friend of the family). It was all shot with a Go Pro on the Gunsight Pass hike.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
davidwayne

Post by davidwayne »

tibber, you have made my day!!! :D :D Those look awesome and just what I was looking for!
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

I would watch a video like that. But probably not the whole thing in one sitting. And I might fast forward through some of it. But I think it would be great for watching while on the treadmill or some other mindless piece of cardio equipment. And it would be a way for people with physical limitations to virtually hike the trail and enjoy the scenery.
ND

Post by ND »

I might watch it (in pieces), but sure as heck wouldn't want to make a an 8 hour video! That is way too much work for a lazy guy! :lol:

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”