All the Short Hikes: June 2017

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

paul46038
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

All the Short Hikes: June 2017

Post by paul46038 »

I was in Glacier with my wife Cheryl and my son Isaac from June 18 to June 26. I’m going to keep this simple since our idea of hiking is more low-key than much of what gets discussed on this forum.

Before/During Resources: This forum, the one-page NPS trail maps, Jake Bramante's Day Hikes map, HikingInGlacier.com.

Lodging: In between flights to/from Missoula, we stayed one night in Kalispell, three nights at Apgar Village Inn, five nights at Swiftcurrent Motor Inn, and one night back in Kalispell. It was all good.

Provisions and support: Rented a Subaru Outback at the airport (5 miles on it when we got it, layers of dirt on it when we returned it), hit up Walmart in Kalispell (cooler, ice, simple breakfast/lunch fare, snacks, bug spray), rented bear spray from Glacier Outfitters in Apgar, re-stocked groceries at IGA in Browning, did laundry at Swiftcurrent. Thumbs up to all.

Dinner: Jammer Joe’s, Eddie’s, ‘Nell’s, Swiss Lounge, Two Sisters. Ranged from fine to great but ‘Nell’s has to get massive points off for being ridiculously understaffed – parties of two, once finally acknowledged, were leaving after being told there would be a 30 minute wait in a less-than-half-full restaurant. On the other hand, the name has two apostrophes which is cool.

Trails we hiked: Upper McDonald Creek, Trail of the Cedars, Johns Lake Loop, Apgar Lookout, Sun Road beyond vehicle blockade at Avalanche, Rocky Point, Apukini Falls, Bullhead Lake and beyond including Fishercap Lake and Redrock Falls, Aster Park Overlook including Paradise Point and Aster Falls, Twin Falls, Running Eagle Falls, Swiftcurrent Lake Nature Trail, Grinnell Lake including Hidden Falls including boat shuttles one way, Sun Point, Baring Falls from boat tour, St. Mary Falls and Virginia Falls. Plus lots of walking around and exploring at various overlooks, picnic areas, etc.

Wildlife: Grizzly (from car, crossing Many Glacier Road near Sherburne Dam), black bear (from car, lumbering down Sun Road not far from Avalanche), bald eagle (near Apgar Village Inn), ptarmigan and mountain bluebirds (Apgar Lookout trail), deer everywhere.

Boating: All the historic boat tours plus kayaking on Swiftcurrent Lake.

Favorite waterfall: Apukini Falls (according to Isaac and Cheryl, I’m undecided).

Favorite hiking: Grinnell Lake (according to me and Cheryl, not much of a workout, just a beautiful day and everything was gorgeous; Isaac would probably vote for Apukini Falls because he really, really liked the falls).

Favorite restaurant: Two Sisters, hands down (according to me and Cheryl, Isaac doesn’t get a vote because he’s a picky eater).

Favorite boat tour: St. Mary Lake (not only beautiful, but we had wonderful weather, the boat was less than half full, and our teenage skippers/guides were a lot of fun).

No access: Sun Road opened two days after we left, Avalanche Lake trail closed due to aggressive bear activity.

Weather: Fantastic. Warmer than expected but not too warm. A little light rain now and then. Our boat tour guides at St. Mary said we got a very rare calm, beautiful day.

Skeeters: Thanks for the warning. We wore long sleeves mostly and the bug spray did the rest.

Conversation: Couple from Hawaii on our Sun Road hike who took a bunch of picture of us with our camera, older couple from Flathead Lake area on top of the Aster Park Lookout who were enormously knowledgeable and entertaining, guy at the Spiral Spoon who probably uses the same lines over and over but was fun and funny nonetheless, lady from the Swiftcurrent laundry who re-introduced herself after watching me play the piano at Many Glacier Hotel.

Souvenirs: Normal stuff like T-shirts plus an unmatched cherry spoon and spatula from the Spiral Spoon.

Most repeated joke: “Lichen is a symbiotic relationship between algae and fungi and, like a lot of relationships, sometimes it’s on the rocks.”

Realization: Guided walks and ranger-led stuff are informative but too slow and crowded for us. Also, enough with the lichen joke.

Did I say I was going to keep this short? *checks* No, I said simple. I’m still in compliance.

How about some photos? About half are from the cell phone.

There was a light rain when we first arrived. Lake McDonald from near the Apgar boat ramp.

Our practice is to get up semi-early and get going. We were first up and had the Apgar fire lookout to ourselves.

Too far away for a good shot, so I took a bad one.

Fun musical interlude one night in Apgar. It’s an alpine horn (or alpenhorn or alphorn).

Cheryl and Isaac pose with their favorite waterfall. I kept getting the name wrong until I came up with this dad joke: What does the convenience store owner on The Simpsons wear to the beach? An Apukini!

The Sinopah on Two Medicine Lake.

Two Sisters waiter: “Have we made any decisions?” Dude eating with his family: “Yes. I’m going to live here the rest of my life.”

This is what we look like. This is also what Swiftcurrent Lake and Grinnell Point look like.

He didn’t want to paint me taking a photograph so we did it the other way around.

Interior of the newly-remodeled Many Glacier Hotel with just a hint of the double-helix staircase.

Chief Two Guns on Swiftcurrent Lake.

Path to Lake Josephine on my favorite hiking day. The weather and scenery couldn’t have been more gorgeous.

Looking into the morning sun from Sun Point.

It’s not quite in the park, but I love this sculpture.

And that's kinda it, I guess.
Last edited by paul46038 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
brindledog
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: All the Short Hikes: June 2017

Post by brindledog »

Great trip report. Thank you for sharing.

Format: Love
Pictures: Great. I zoomed in and got a closer look at the eagle. He's a beauty.
Lichen Joke: Very funny the first 10 or so times. Then I can definitely see where it might wear on you.
Variety: Looks like you had a good mix of food, hikes, and activities
Many Glacier helix staircase: Dying to see in person

Next trip: I hope you and your family liked Glacier enough to come back.
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

Beautiful pictures! And great trip report!

It's the easy hikes that get you hooked (in my opinion). I'd love to hike the GTTSR before it's open - how far did you go? It might be cool to walk to the west-side tunnel, but that's quite a haul from Avalanche.

I need to hike Apukini one of these days. My favorite waterfall my first trip was Red Rock Falls, but it's less impressive later in the season as the flow tapers off. Virginia Falls is a contender for favorite - it was very "moody" the day I visited.

Sorry to hear about the issues at 'Nell's. I've enjoyed their food the last several years, but the service is always hit or miss. I've never noticed seating issues, but I'm usually the one eating dinner at 4pm...
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Nice report and I loved the pictures. Glad you had great weather and enjoyed the park.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Ditto on a nice report and good pics.
Is that sculpture the one on US 89 just up the hill from St Mary?
It's very cool.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
paul46038

Post by paul46038 »

brindledog wrote:I hope you and your family liked Glacier enough to come back.
We had a great time. I can't imagine not going back. Maybe a September trip in a few years when we're no longer bound by a high schooler's schedule.
al_in_al wrote:I'd love to hike the GTTSR before it's open - how far did you go?
We went about three miles past Avalanche. We didn't know the geography well enough to know if there was a good reason to keep going "just past the next bend", but we never really had a good reason to turn around either. As I recall, we stopped to admire a particularly nice view and decided that was as good a turning-around spot as any,
al_in_al wrote:Virginia Falls is a contender for favorite
I agree. And St. Mary Falls on the same trail was an otherworldly shade of turquoise.
PeteE wrote:Is that sculpture the one on US 89 just up the hill from St Mary?
It's by the Blackfeet Nation welcome sign just south of East Glacier Park.
Carol Lynn

Post by Carol Lynn »

Paul, thanks for a terrific trip report (you covered all the bases) and gorgeous photos!
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Great report and photos and thanks for posting them. Glad to hear that you had such a great trip and great weather from the looks of it.

As I recall there is a similar sculpture on Route 89 just after the junction of the road from Valier (whose number I don't recall) and route 89 where 89 enters the Reservation. There is also a monument near this location to the victims of the failure of the Swift Dam on Birch Creek in 1964,

Lyman
KyCindy

Post by KyCindy »

Great report! We liked Nell's. I think it was my husband's favorite restaurant of our trip. He had spaghetti and meatballs and two Moose Drool's after our Grinnel Glacier hike. It was crowded but we snagged two stools at the bar. I had the Turkey Reuben. We have found there is a hunger element that bumps a restaurant up a level. We needed carbs and beer. I thought Two Sister's had the best huckleberry pie. i will add Apukuni Falls to our wishlist for net time.
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Post by brindledog »

KyCindy wrote:We have found there is a hunger element that bumps a restaurant up a level.
Very true! Years ago, after hiking Grinnell, my husband and I ate a bag of Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies from Heidi's in the basement of Many Glacier. We thought they were the best cookies ever. Then, back at work, I got some from the vending machine. Somehow, it wasn't quite the same...

Return to “Trip Reports”