Looking for Ride from Kintla to Bowman- Mid September

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

SuperMoose
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Looking for Ride from Kintla to Bowman- Mid September

Post by SuperMoose »

Hello everyone! I'll be out in Glacier with my girlfriend in mid-September to backpack the from Bowman to Kintla lakes. I wanted to be able to leave our rental car at Kintla so we had a ride when we finished backpacking. Unfortunately, I'm coming up a little short in trying to ascertain exactly how to do that. I'd like to be able to have a solid plan in place before arrival rather than trying to put something together at the last minute.

Anyone have suggestions on how to accomplish that?

Thanks!
Jay w

Re: Looking for Ride from Kintla to Bowman- Mid September

Post by Jay w »

My answer is to also rent a mt bike. The ride between Bowman and Kintla is not too bad. So drive the car to the finish and ride back and camp. The other suggestion would be make friends with your camping neighbors and figure out a similar plan. Money and alcohol may help.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
SuperMoose

Post by SuperMoose »

Jay w wrote:My answer is to also rent a mt bike. The ride between Bowman and Kintla is not too bad. So drive the car to the finish and ride back and camp. The other suggestion would be make friends with your camping neighbors and figure out a similar plan. Money and alcohol may help.

Jay
Except we're backpacking from Bowman to Kintla....so the bikes would end up sitting where?

I have no problem paying someone for a ride. That isn't the issue. The issue is finding someone to do it, it appears.
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

I'll be in the Park in September...I might be able to help you out but only on September 10th or 11th when I'll be in that part of the Park...
SuperMoose

Post by SuperMoose »

toddnick wrote:I'll be in the Park in September...I might be able to help you out but only on September 10th or 11th when I'll be in that part of the Park...
:( September 18th is when we start. Thanks for the offer.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

SuperMoose wrote:
Except we're backpacking from Bowman to Kintla....so the bikes would end up sitting where?
Where you park it....and you only need one bike. I did the same thing, but the reverse direction. Since Kintla is a small campground, I talked with Lyle (the ranger at Kintla) and arranged to park my bike out of the way under some trees.

So, just to paint the picture, I dropped my pack at Kintla, drove the car to Bowman with the bike, and road the bike back to Kintla, and the car was at Bowman (my exit) when I finished my trip. The main road has "large gravel" so you'll definitely need a bike with wide tires (e.g. 2"). It's about a 25 mile ride (as I recall) so I can understand not wanting to do it, but for me it was necessary.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
SuperMoose

Post by SuperMoose »

Jay w wrote:
SuperMoose wrote:
Where you park it....and you only need one bike. I did the same thing, but the reverse direction. Since Kintla is a small campground, I talked with Lyle (the ranger at Kintla) and arranged to park my bike out of the way under some trees.

So, just to paint the picture, I dropped my pack at Kintla, drove the car to Bowman with the bike, and road the bike back to Kintla, and the car was at Bowman (my exit) when I finished my trip. The main road has "large gravel" so you'll definitely need a bike with wide tires (e.g. 2"). It's about a 25 mile ride (as I recall) so I can understand not wanting to do it, but for me it was necessary.

Jay
Yea, that's a bit too much. I have a friend or two that lives in the area that I'm going to ping about this. Maybe they'd be willing to run us up there and spend part of their day in the park.

Return to “Road Information and Transportation”