Hockey Ref hike with two cars?

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

raddr
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Hockey Ref hike with two cars?

Post by raddr »

I really want to do the Hockey Ref hike from the Logan Pass trailhead but after reading all the threads here it looks like I would not get to the trailhead before 9 or 10 AM even taking the earliest shuttles. I will have a friend meeting me for the hike so we will have two cars. I am staying at the Swiftcurrent Inn and he will be at St. Mary's Lodge. We are both serious photographers and want to to get a very early start since the light is better then, we can take our time, and it will be cooler. My thought is to have him pick me up at Swiftcurrent real early - like 6 AM or so - and then drive to Logan Pass to begin the hike. At the end I would drive us from Swiftcurrent to Logan to get his car. I realize that this is a lot of driving but the alternative is either to deal with shuttles and start late or do the reverse Hockey Ref and catch the shuttle from Logan to St. Mary's at the end. We could get an early start with the reverse Hockey Ref hike but after reading here it sounds like it the climbing might be too difficult for two guys who are not real sure of their hiking/climbing abilities. Thoughts?

Also, as far as water, I assume we would be able to get some at Granite Park Chalet. Are there any other water sources along the way? I have a water purifier.
PeteE

Re: Hockey Ref hike with two cars?

Post by PeteE »

raddr wrote:I really want to do the Hockey Ref hike from the Logan Pass trailhead but after reading all the threads here it looks like I would not get to the trailhead before 9 or 10 AM even taking the earliest shuttles. I will have a friend meeting me for the hike so we will have two cars. I am staying at the Swiftcurrent Inn and he will be at St. Mary's Lodge. We are both serious photographers and want to to get a very early start since the light is better then, we can take our time, and it will be cooler. My thought is to have him pick me up at Swiftcurrent real early - like 6 AM or so - and then drive to Logan Pass to begin the hike. At the end I would drive us from Swiftcurrent to Logan to get his car. I realize that this is a lot of driving but the alternative is either to deal with shuttles and start late or do the reverse Hockey Ref and catch the shuttle from Logan to St. Mary's at the end. We could get an early start with the reverse Hockey Ref hike but after reading here it sounds like it the climbing might be too difficult for two guys who are not real sure of their hiking/climbing abilities. Thoughts?

Also, as far as water, I assume we would be able to get some at Granite Park Chalet. Are there any other water sources along the way? I have a water purifier.
I would schedule a light(er) day for the day after you do Hockley Ref. You'll see why below.

I'll let someone else advise you on the pros and cons of the hiking direction from a "photographic" point of view.
I will say having gone both ways to Granite Park that morning light will probably present more good photographic opportunities on the Highline than walking up the Swiftcurrent trail.
Going down and back the Swiftcurrent trail should have the sun behind, or over the shoulder as you walk back to Swiftcurrent. The sun sets somewhat north of west and the trail heads basically east.
But...I'm no photographer. I take snapshots. 8)

I would begin at Logan now that you have two cars.
I would consider getting picked up at Swiftcurrent earlier than 0600, especially if it's a weekday.
The flaggers will begin controlling traffic in the East side construction area(s) at 0700.
You want to be through the construction before flagging begins if at all possible---in my opinion.
So leaving Swiftcurrent at 0600 is probably not early enough....assuming ~45 minutes to St Mary.
Prior to 0700, they usually have the unmanned traffic lights controlling traffic on a timed basis.
There's no way to know until virtually the day before, if then.
If you have access to this chat while visiting, someone may post current info--maybe me :)

And then in the afternoon/evening when you return to Logan...
You should consider hanging around for sunset and animal opportunities around the pass and the Hidden Lake trail.

Why waste the drive over there?
The construction stops at 1700.
So...Go after to avoid the flagging, etc.
Stop at Two Sisters,located on US 89 between Babb and St Mary. You can't miss it.
Or Johnson's in St Mary is good also.
Have a good dinner before driving up to Logan Pass to retrieve the car.
The light should be nice.

Water shouldn't be a problem on the Highline to Granite Park.
See my video later tonight or tomorrow.
You can buy water at the chalet, but it is very spendy at $7.00/liter.
You can also walk down to where the chalet guests get water. You are not supposed to take water from the tanks for guests.
However, there is a creek that's just a few yards past the new 5000 gallon tank where you can get all you want for free.
Flip a coin with your friend to see who gets to do that walk. 8)
If you fill up at Granite Park, you should have plenty until you get to the first source on the east side of the pass.

Hope this helps

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
raddr

Post by raddr »

Hi Pete, that is immensely helpful - thanks! One more question: do you think leaving Swiftcurrent at 5:30AM would be early enough?
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

raddr wrote:Hi Pete, that is immensely helpful - thanks! One more question: do you think leaving Swiftcurrent at 5:30AM would be early enough?
Yes, 0530 should be early enough to get through before flagging begins...
Keeping in mind that construction areas and problems can change on a daily basis.

Another benefit of going early is you may get a chance for a good animal shot on the way to Logan Pass.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

The hike can be done from Many Glacier up to Swiftcurrent Pass then to Granite Park and out to Logan Pass. Obviously there is a lot more climbing in doing the hike that way. The elevation of Logan Pass and Granite Park Chalet are almost the same - however there is a lot of elevation change between the two. People I have hiked with seem to think that hike is easier to do from Logan Pass to Granite Park rather than the reverse.

I like starting at Logan Pass. Much of the Highline Trail in in shade until 9:00 or 9:30 in the morning. The temperature is cool and the vegetation is wet. I think it is wonderful hiking in cool shade. For pictures close up things like plants and animals will be in the shade but the mountains across the valley are in the sun. Then you walk down from Swiftcurrent Pass in the sun later in the day. The last part of the hike is relatively flat but can get hot and dry.

Return to “Hiking”