Help plan my next trip!!

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

mxfuel
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Help plan my next trip!!

Post by mxfuel »

Looks like we are going to be back to Glacier this summer with some of the wife’s family. The good thing about an extended family vacation is that we will have the in laws there for babysitters when we want to hike some longer hikes. (our girls will be 6 yrs old & 16 mnths old).

These are the hikes we have done: Hidden falls, Virginia falls, St. Mary falls, Grinnell Glacier, Hockey ref hike, Avalanche falls, Baring falls, Running Eagle falls, Appistoki falls, Astor Overlook, Upper Two Medicine lake, Gunsight Lake with Florence falls, Cracker lake, Piegan Pass, Apikuni falls, Mt Oberlin summit, Siyeh loop, Dragon’s back, Pitamakan/Dawson pass loop, Ptarmigan tunnel.

1.Looking for some advice on what hikes you think we should do next. I am leaning towards Mt Reynolds summit, Cobalt Lake, Scenic Point. Opinions?

2.What hikes should I do with the kids-Virginia falls & maybe Avalache falls?

3.I don’t know anything about some of these other lakes that I see on the map like Poia lake, Otokomi lake, & Red Eagle lake. Do you have any opinions on these?

4.How about Triple Divide pass?

5.How about Grinnell Glacier overlook?
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Help plan my next trip!!

Post by toddnick »

Some of the best that you haven't done, in my opinion...

1. Lee Ridge/Belly River Loop (17 miles, 3,000 feet)
2. Angel Wing (14.7 miles, 3,500 feet)
3. Huckleberry Lookout (12 miles, 2,600 feet)
4. Two Medicine Pass (above Cobalt Lake) (16 miles, 2,600 feet)
5. Medicine Grizzly Lake (12 miles, 1,100 feet)
6. Triple Divide Pass (14 miles, 2,800 feet)
7. Firebrand Pass (10 miles, 2,000 feet)

I'd avoid Poia Lake and Otokomi lake which I rank below all of the above...I'm not a big fan of Scenic Point, but many are...
joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by joybird »

Some excellent choices, Todd. All winners.

Still, consider me a Scenic Point fan. :wink:

Although I know Toddnick can crank out 10-12 miles and still be back in camp by lunchtime, Scenic Point (as an out-and-back) is my favorite truly half-day hike in the park.

Just over 3 miles (2250') of mainly out-in-the-open-with-striking-views trail brings you here:

And from there, the 3 miles back is all downhill! :mrgreen:

Make sure you wear a hat, though...and preferably one that won't blow off. 8)
mxfuel

Post by mxfuel »

Todd:

Looks like I am going to have to do some research. Most of the ones you listed I have never heard of.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I'll give you a vote for Angelwing. I think it adds(one way) another 0.8-1.0 miles, and an additional 900ft of elv gain, to the Grinnell Glacier hike.
Terrific views. Looking back towards Many Glacier in this pic I made with a disposable film camera.
Well worth doing if the weather is nice...as it was here on September 12th, 2010.
Who dat man in blue? 8)
YeeeeHawwww!!

pete :wink:

"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

1.Looking for some advice on what hikes you think we should do next. I am leaning towards Mt Reynolds summit, Cobalt Lake, Scenic Point. Opinions? I like Scenic Point - fairly short but going up is certainly strenuous. There are great views from most of the trail. Cobalt Lake is also a nice hike with Rockwell Falls along the way. Consider going beyond the lake to the pass. You may do just fine climbing Mt. Reynolds but this is a mountain climb - I think it is more of a challenge than what I think of as a hike.

2.What hikes should I do with the kids-Virginia falls & maybe Avalache falls?
St. Mary Falls should work, Virginia Falls adds some uphill. Trail to the Cedars would be great, then go up along the Avalanche Creek Falls.

3.I don’t know anything about some of these other lakes that I see on the map like Poia lake, Otokomi lake, & Red Eagle lake. Do you have any opinions on these?
Red Eagle Lake is a nice low level hike. There is not much overall elevation change but there are a lot of ups and downs. Most of this area burned in 2006 so it is a hike through a regrowth area. Otokomi Lake is mostly a hike through the forest to a lake set in the mountains. There are not many views. I have not been to Poia Lake.

4.How about Triple Divide pass? I think Triple Divide Pass from Cut Bank is a great hike. The trail starts out fairly level but climbs steadily after the Medicine Grizzly Lake junction. There are great views from that point to the pass.

5.How about Grinnell Glacier overlook? The Grinnell Glacier Overlook from the Highline Trail provides a spectacular view of Grinnell Glacier and the surrounding area. It is a very steep climb even thought he sing at the trail junction says the overlook is 1 kilometer away.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

My advice is to look at the trail reports. There's lot of info and pictures in there. If you don't see a hike mentioned, I'd skip it on your initial hikes (2nd, 3rd trip). You can do them later when you're curious what's over that ridge.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned doing Gunsight Pass. It's a fairly long dayhike, but easily one of the best in the park ... and this would be a good trip for you to do it since the in-laws could drop you off at the trailhead and then pick you up at the end, eliminating the need for a shuttle.
lucygp
Gender?: Female

Post by lucygp »

The trail starts out fairly level but climbs steadily

Return to “Hiking”