Grand Teton BC Trip

Have you visited another National Park, you would like to share, although most are Glacier Fanatics, we love to visit any National Park, let us know about your experience here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

smahurin
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Grand Teton BC Trip

Post by smahurin »

I'm curious if anyone has some experience doing the teton crest backpacking trail. In addition to my numerous glacier day hike trips, likely 2-ish bc trips, I'm trying to squeeze in the teton crest trail next summer. I've done a decent amount of searching on the internet, but haven't found a ton of information other than: "its awesome".

Mainly I'm looking for campsite recommendations. Last year for kicks and giggles I logged on their opening lottery day to see what was available and half went through the process of reserving but found it is surprisingly less intuitive than you'd think for a online application. The problems I kept coming up with were some of the sites/areas were only for groups >6 and some of the areas weren't even listed in their on-line system (not that they weren't available... they weren't even listed?). Maybe this was just a funky thing with last year as I believe it was the first time they had done the online only app process but I could be wrong.

Just looking at the map I was thinking of 3-4 day trip with stops in Death Canyon Shelf, and north fork cascade (and possibly picking up a night somewhere else to break up the distances better). But the problem I found at least last year when looking was that South and North Fork Cascade were only available for Groups (which seems wrong as while there is a designated group site within the camping zone I wouldn't think the entire zone is group only, as both look like the areas should had additional capacity for non-groups but I know nothing. And for some reason last year neither of the paintbrush group sites were even listed in the on-line app. Maybe this is because the paintbrush camping is listed as an open camping zone?

Anyways so I was curious who's been there and done that, and if anyone has suggested sites, or just in general any information or suggestions.

Thanks!
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator

Re: Grand Teton BC Trip

Post by isleroyaleguy »

I have never been. Yet.
I will be planning a trip for late August 2015. I will share all the info I have once I'm into hardcore trip planning mode. I should have my map soon. Just like GNP the permit system is a drag.
Hope to hear from you.
IRG
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

I've done most of the teton crest trail three times recently, turning back from Paintbrush Divide each time, twice for snow and once for family issues. I didn't have the issues with the reservation system you mentioned. Death Canyon Shelf and the sites below Hurricane Pass are must stays for me! Marion Lake is very nice, but over-used (i.e., good luck finding an unused place to dig a cat hole). Let me know if you have any questions.
Steve
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

Awesome, thanks sj in cal. I just browsed over to rec.gov and while they aren't accepting permits yet obviously I can at least browse the mountain camp zone sites... and it looks like all the options are there. Not sure why last year when I got on, some of the spots "didn't exist?" in the system... I could just be dumb. I'm sure it was somehow user error. As when I tried last year, North Fork Cascade only had a groupsite option (no non-group slots) and neither of the paintbrush camping zones existed.

Again, I'm sure it was user error. I'll try for reals this time tho!

EDIT: Also a question for you. I realize its entirely dependent on the winter/spring... but realistically how quickly do the passes in GTNP melt out? I realize the rule of thumb in glacier is end of july/beginning of august, obviously tho that depends. I'm wondering if GTNP is really any different in that regard, IE maybe melting out a few weeks quicker than glacier? My fam snagged a Sperry reservation already for first weekend of August. And ideally I'd like to snag a week long trip glacier trip that will hopefully be sometime in august and I'd like to give as much flexibility for that. I'm wondering if I shoot for the teton crest around July 20-ish if that will be pushing the season. Any advice/guidance/experience from people who've spent more time in that neck of the woods than me?

Return to “Other National Parks”