Northern Loop Alternative

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

CreakyKnees
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Northern Loop Alternative

Post by CreakyKnees »

With the extended closure of Fifty Mountain campsite completing the Northern Loop would seem impossible without a 20+ mile segment between Stony Indian and Granite Park. Anyone know what the Permit Office is recommending as an alternative? I'm heading to the park next weekend, 9/6, and was looking forward to this classic hike. I'm sure any six days in the backcountry will be awesome.
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Northern Loop Alternative

Post by orin »

One possibility would be to substitute Flattop for Fifty. Stony to Flattop is still pushing 15 miles but depending on how creaky the knees are that might be an option. From Flattop you could either hike out to the Loop or if you had the energy you could make the fairly strenuous climb from the Loop back up to Granite Park. This would add about 5 miles to the entire trip. The trip over Flattop and up to Granite is harder an not quite as scenic as the Highline but it isn't bad either. (I'm assuming a counter clockwise trip but it would work about the same the other way.)

If you could make the logistics work you could also substitute a few days around GoatHaunt for the Highline and exit through Waterton. Maybe get a couple of nights at Lake Francis and dayhike Hole In the Wall. Or you could add 2 or 3 nights in the Belly River and enter or leave via Chief Mountain or over Redgap Pass to Poia Lake.

Or you could try something completely different such as Kintla to Bowman.

The backcountry office will do their best given the circumstances.
CreakyKnees

Post by CreakyKnees »

Orin,

Thanks for the response. Since the GTTS shuttle will be shutdown and we only have one car the logistics will be a challenge if not doing a true loop. We currently have permits for POI-ELH-MAN so we could do that, followed by a day hike to Grinnell Glacier and back. Then maybe relocate to Two Medicine and do Daw-Pit with an overnight at OLD. That gives us two smaller loops and a taste of two different parts of the park. Another alternative is to do an out-and-back to MOL staying at different campsites on the return trip. The scenery is spectacular in either direction!
blah1234

Post by blah1234 »

Instead of the Northern Loop, try the eastern half of the Northern Traverse: Chief Mtn Customs trailhead through Stoney Indian Pass, ending up at Goat Haunt. One of the logistically easier through-hikes to set up in the northern part of the park. I just did it as a 3 day-2 nighter 8/25-8/27; great time, even better views.

On the morning of the 1st day, drive your car up to Waterton, leave it at Tamarack Outfitters, and take their Chief Mtn Shuttle (make sure to reserve a space by telephone beforehand):
http://www.hikewaterton.com/shuttles/

You'll end up at the Chief Mtn Customs trailhead a little after 3pm, enjoy your hike at your own leisurely pace, take the boat ride out of Goat Haunt the last day (http://www.watertoncruise.com/goat-haunt.php#2), and your car will be waiting for you back at Waterton. :D

I was a little too ambitious the 1st day and set my campground at Glenns Lake Foot, thinking that 10 miles is nothing. I forgot to take into account that because of the shuttle schedule I'd be starting out at 3pm, so I was rolling into camp slightly before 8pm. That left me only 1hr to set up the campsite, cook dinner, and get ready for sleep before it got dark. Probably a less hectic plan would have been to set the campground at Cosley Lake for the 1st night.

Return to “Hiking”