Bear Can

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

liketohike
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Bear Can

Post by liketohike »

Thanks for the detailed update!
We'll be at HEL on September 15th...note to self: get a bigger carabiner!
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

Bear "wire" = cable at Gable Creek CG!

The cable is inserted into a sheath for its working part, and there are disk spacers every 2-3 feet to keep roped items from sliding together. The cables are set fairly high; more than 25 ft of rope may be needed. Bear wires call for tall trees, which might be found at lower-elevation backcountry CGs.

I took a couple of photos; may get around to posting something this winter.

After 6 miles of sucking mud, horse-poop style, my boots are off to the cleaner's. :roll:
smahurin
Gender?: Male

Post by smahurin »

mattB wrote:If I remember correctly Sperry backcountry campsites had a wire..

Also, a couple years ago they made us take a bear can when we were camping at Lake Ellen Wilson, they told us that the bear pole was broken, but when we got there it had been repaired..
Maybe it was a similar situation at Helen 3-4 years ago?
Interesting. Last year when I camped at Ellen Wilson one of the poles was pretty significantly bent and looked like it was about to break completely. But just got back from another trip across gunsight this weekend and the ellen wilson pole is new as of this year and has been relocated (just slightly) from where it was previously. Sounds like for whatever reason the pole there has issues.

I would assume if they needed you to bring a bear canister for a specific site they would have to tell you that up front (either send out an email or post that on the campsite or trail status pages, not sure what would be best?). Since its not common practice for GNP to require bear cannisters in the backcountry I would think a heads up would be necessary... unless for some strange reason the bear pole/wire broke like the week before you arrived or something and they hadn't had time to get the word out. Just my thoughts though. Maybe someone can comment on how they were informed of needing a bear can.
missguinness
Donator
Donator

Post by missguinness »

One year when we were going to stay at Helen when it just opened, the backcountry office did ask us to carry a bear canister. We happened to bring our's just in case it was needed, but they would have provided one for us.
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
~Victor Hugo
Jen

Post by Jen »

When we camped undesignated in 2012 the made us carry 2 canisters for our group of 4. They provided the canisters.
distressbark

Post by distressbark »

Jen wrote:When we camped undesignated in 2012 the made us carry 2 canisters for our group of 4. They provided the canisters.
Jen, that's always been my experience too.
- anders

"And what do the birds say? All there is to say about a massacre, things like Poo-tee-weet?"
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

Same here IF you are above tree line. If you are in the trees then they will let you get by with rope only. When we climbed Stimson 10 years ago we made base camp right at the tree line so we were allowed to just hang our food. I have a large container if anyone ever needs one.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”