What are you carrying?

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

northshorehiker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by northshorehiker »

Just to get in on this thread...

Pack: A very heavy, but exceptionally comfortable Gregory Wind River. There's no load it can't handle, and rides like an absolute dream. A previous poster made the excellent point that a lighter pack doesn't automatically make it a good thing... although if I could find a lighter pack just as comfortable, I'd snag it in a heartbeat.

Boots: Vasque Sundowners

Tent: MSR Zoid 2, which shaved a few pounds off the Eureka Timberlite XT.

Bag: 15-degree polyfill North Face, long

Stove: MSR Whisperlite

As far as water purifying goes, I use the Nalgene to fill the Platypus bottles, and then use the tablets to purify and then the others to remove the 'iodiney' taste. Works like a charm a weighs next to nothing.

Food-wise, we've gone the freeze-dried route and bring flavored tortillas to use as plates, and eat them like burritos with no clean-up. We do the gorp/jerky/Cliff bars deal for lunch, and oatmeal for breakfast with some dried organic cherries or blueberries mixed in. Also, a package of Reisen chocolate treats, which inevitably leads to the comment... "I need a Reisen (reason) to keep going..." Just never gets funny. =^) Also, a seperate Platypus bottle is used for mixing tropical punch Gatorade, which is a tasty treat on the trail. Enjoying everyone's comments on this thread!

==
Chris
http://www.cbimages.com
Neil

Post by Neil »

I hope its ok to ask questions on this thread. What are camp shoes and why do you use them?
dorf

Post by dorf »

Imagine wearing your work boots around the house after laboring on the job for 8 or 9 hours. That's why.

Sandals are probably the preferred camp shoes because they can double as water shoes---i.e. something you wear to cross streams
So many mountains, so little time.
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

On one of my northern travers trips I spaced my sandals and had no other camp shoes. What a misery that turned out to be. I love the sandals, but my Chaco Z1's are very heavy. I also have to tape my heels to account for consistent boot problems. The sandals tend to tear up the tape as I put then on and take them off. We are going to try a Saolom water show called the Tech Amphibian. They are lighter than the sandals and while they have a back, the back fold down to wear if you like. They seem like they will work well in camp and for stream crossings.
traderdon

Post by traderdon »

Have you tried on a Vapor Trail? The hipbelt makes that pack. God knows it's not the extra long collar that always gets in the way or because it's top loading only
Haven't tried the vapor yet, both stores I went to here didnt carry it. Dorf what did you think about your Forester, I got a buddy of mine tryin to sell me his.

Also what do you guys do about rain gear....
I know I know..... .. I ask too many questions

Thanks

TD
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

I bring an ultra light rain jacket and that's it. To tell you the truth I've very rarely seen any rain on trips in Glacier. My jacket is a Mountain Hardwear Epic and I'm very happy with it. It has nice features and weighs next to nothing. My wife has a Marmot Precip jacket that she also really likes. Both are waterproof breathables using proprietary fabrics. This just means they are much cheaper and lighter than Goretex but will have shorter life.
dorf

Post by dorf »

Dorf what did you think about your Forester
You know, I don't think anything of it. I mean it's there if I need it, but that's about it. I can't see using it much in the future though I might have to use it on my 7-night Wind River trip.

I've also got a Precip but never seem to use it for rain. I'm considering dropping the rain pants from my kit as I have good luck with no rain as well.
GuloGulo

Rain pants

Post by GuloGulo »

Before you decide to exclude the rain pants consider the possibility of walking through wet brush. I haven't been to the Winds so I don't know if wet brush is a problem there. I've carried rain gear many times without having to use it. Last year the week before Labor Day I hiked from Poia over Red Gap to ELF and out Ptarmigan and then went up the North Fork To UPK. I'm glad I had the rain pants. I would have suffered hypothermia without them. Between the rain, hail and wet brush we got into a lot of wet cold stuff. I've also used them to block the wind.
balou44
Donator
Donator

Post by balou44 »

Raincoat-Cabela's Gore-tex. Pants- REI Mistral
dorf

Post by dorf »

Before you decide to exclude the rain pants consider the possibility of walking through wet brush.
Winds=above timber line.

I suppose if I didn't have them along I'd be wishing I did. I've had my current pair since '04 and used them twice: once for warmth (too lazy to zip my pant legs on) and once at a soccer game played in 35* rain. The soccer game wasn't played in the backcountry, however, just in case you're curious. Maybe some short gaiters just to keep my boots dry when busting through GNP's brush?
july gal
Donator
Donator

gaiters

Post by july gal »

Yeah! They've worked for us both with wet brush, scratchy brush and to cover sunburn on the back of your calves but... the kind we have make your shins and calves a sweaty mess... no breathability at all... but i'll take them any day over the PVC non-breathable rain pants I have... those are for car camping only! (i'm sure there are lightweight fancy ones, but we don't have them)
Jeff E
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Dont Drop you Rain Pants too quickly

Post by Jeff E »

You have been very lucky not have not run into much rain. I have only been to Glacier as an adult twice. Both times, it rained almost the entire trip. We had to make a choice, either stay in the hotel or get out on the trail in the rain.

We bought our rain gear at the campstore in St Mary. Spent way too much money, but worth every penny when you consider the other option would have been to stay in the hotel.

We are hoping for blue skys this year.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

depends on the time of year. before mid july full rain gear a must, later in the summer definitely optional. very little weight however in the grand scheme of things.
old_hiker

Rain Gear

Post by old_hiker »

For anyone out for only a trip or two---Get yourself a couple large green garbage bags work pretty good ..I have an old cheap poncho that I use as a groundsheet, rain jacket ..Replace this every 3-5 yrs.
Tents I have used an old second hand Jerry 2 man (floor leaks) cheap tent from Cndn Tire $30.00. 8 x 12 plastic tarp..
The biggest thing is to get out & enjoy Good Hikin John
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Gggggeeeearr! Love the stuff.

Tent: Currently I use my MSR Hubba for summer trips - Fantastic little tent. Pitch the fly only for ultra light (bug free) hikes. For winter excursions, I still use an older Sierra Designs 2-person, though I’m shopping around for true four-season.

Backpack: I have several hanging in my gear room, though my favorite is a Lowe Alpine Contour 3. A little heavy for short jaunts, but it’s so comfortable I hardly know it’s there. To satisfy my cravings to go ever lighter, I’ve got my eye on the Gregory Z55. At 3lbs it’s not super light, but the materials are more durable than silnylon and it has plenty of pockets and lash points to comfortably carry 30-35lbs of oddly sized gear.

Sleeping bag: On summer trips to Glacier I take along my Marmot Atom. A one pound beauty that keeps me warm and cozy all night long. If the weather is a little cooler I pack my Marmot Sawtooth and during the wetness of winter, I have the North Face -35 synthetic Tangerine Dream. I could sleep right on top of the snow in that thing.

Stove: MSR Whisper light, MSR Pocket Rocket, JetBoil. The JetBoil is my number one choice right now since I tend to fuel myself on dehydrated meals, but the other two are superior in colder weather or for simmering dinners for a larger group. There are of course some lighter weight options out there, which I may be trying out this summer.

Water Purification: Still using my PUR Hiker. Pumps super fast and I trust its abilities, though I may be going the tablet route soon…at least for alpine treks where the water is already crystal clear.

Flashlight: Petzel headlamps. I use a dual halogen/LED version for beefier trips or for night travel, but I usually carry my little Petzel LED headlamp with the retractable cord (can’t remember the name). It’s not only super light, it can also be attached to my hip belt buckle or to a tent zipper pull, which is actually more useful than is sounds.

Boots: La Sportiva Glacier. Yeah, the name alone was reason to buy them, but they’ve proven to be indestructible and waterproof after two years of tough travel. If my route keeps me on a maintained trail I opt for a lightweight pair of Nike canyoneering shoes. They fit me like a glove and have soft, sticky outsoles.

Clothes: For a-typical Glacier weather, I pack a Sierra Designs lightweight shell; Convertible pants (slightly waterproof), fleece layer; one long sleeve and one short sleeve synthetic shirt (Nike); synthetic Left / Right socks from Nike (these rock); hiking socks and a hat for sun and rain.

Food: Backpacker’s Pantry and Mountain House freeze dried (ProPak); gel packs; Cliff bars; jerky; blueberry bagels with my own super concoction smeared inside; sesame seed treats (potent); oatmeal with dried fruit and added protein powder inside of an old (and since cleaned) ProPak package (better than zip lock); drink powders; chocolate.

Those are the main things. I always hike with trekking poles and a first aid kit and I use collapsible water bladders and canteens (camelback/platypus) to carry liquid. Last year in Glacier I hauled a Bear Vault around too (NPS requirement for the hike I did), which is essentially a giant Nalgene bottle that weighs over two pounds.

Bryan

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”