Hiking Prep Comments - Footware Traction and Insect Preventi

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

ncwitz
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Hiking Prep Comments - Footware Traction and Insect Preventi

Post by ncwitz »

Hi,

Our park trip is scheduled for August 23-31. Current hikes include:

* Grinnell Glacier
* Gunsight Pass to Sperry Chalet (2 night stay)
* Sperry Glacier
* Sperry trail to Lake McDonald Lodge

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions on the following 2 questions...

1. Are boot traction devices (Kahtoola microspikes / Yaktrax) needed/recommended for these hikes in late August? I already have them but was wondering if I should bring them along.
2. Any concerns with insects at this time (ticks, mosquitos)? Should I pretreat clothing with Permethrin? Is DEET needed for skin protection? Mosquitos may be a nuisance but I hate ticks.

Thanks for the comments!
debbyn
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Hiking Prep Comments - Footware Traction and Insect Prev

Post by debbyn »

You will not need the traction devices. there still might be a snow field to cross below Gunsight Pass but all you really need are good hiking boots. Bugs should not be too much of a problem since it will have been cooler at nights, killing remaining mossies. I have never gotten a tick in Glacier but somebody on this forum may have. No need to treat your clothes.
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

The first three hikes you have listed are all among my favorites in the entire Park; they are all spectacular...though Grinnell Glacier will be crowded if you don't get to the trailhead early....

Sperry Chalet to Lake McDonald not so much....but much better doing it downhill than uphill...

You should be fine as mentioned with hiking boots by late August...

There may still be some mosquitoes...they usually disappear for the season in early September...ticks don't seem to be an issue from what I've experienced/heard...
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Ear Mountain »

Ticks are an issue in Glacier but usually only in the spring. By July they are mostly gone. In over 40 years of hiking in .glacier I've only seen one tick in August and that was when hiking in dense brush.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.

Return to “Hiking”