Sperry Chalet to Glacier

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

poky5mom
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Sperry Chalet to Glacier

Post by poky5mom »

Does anyone know how far it is from sperry chalet to the glacier? When we stayed at the chalet a couple summers ago that was the year of the extraordinary snow so we never could make it to the glacier - we are hoping for a night at the chalet next summer & then a hike to the glacier!
Kim
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Sperry Chalet to Glacier

Post by toddnick »

It is 4 miles with about 1,500 feet of gain (one way)...exceptional hike!!!!
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by isleroyaleguy »

4 miles one way and we'll worth it. It's one of my favorite spots in GNP...my avatar is Us out on Sperry Glacier. Hope you get the chance to do it this year.
IRG
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

In 2012, I got it at 7.50 miles with 1,979 AEG

Here is a nice desc of the hike with photos to help ID sites along the way: http://enjoyyourparks.com/GlacierParkSperryGlacier.html

and of course, I have 3 movies from the hike that maybe can tide you over til next summer:
Part 1 is from the Chalet to the top of Comeau Pass -
I put a link in the info section below the video that will take you to the Glacier part of the hike.
Part 2 is to the Sperry Glacier and part way back -
Part 3 is the rest of the hike back including the encounter with the young goat that couldnt' decide where he wanted us to hike -
sperryKev

Post by sperryKev »

If you are visiting GNP with a specific destination or hike in mind, such as the Sperry Glacier, I would suggest plan your visit for late in the summer. Not earlier than August 1, late August is better, September is even an excellent choice. When planning a year in advance, there is no humanly possible way to guarantee snow conditions will let you visit certain high country locations any earlier in the season. (We can save the late season forest fires and smoke for another discussion.)

If you can take a more happy go lucky attitude and foster the ability to adapt to the current climate and conditions, Glacier will reward you with adventures and vistas that 90% of park visitors will never see or do. July is an amazingly beautiful time to be in the park with both wintertime snow conditions up high and springtime waterfalls, flowers and growth down lower. The trade off is that some places, like Sperry Glacier, Gunsight Pass, even the Highline Trail, may not be accessible.

This year, right now, July 17. A handful of people have made it to Sperry Glacier this year. There is still ample snow on the trail that can be crossed with caution. The glacier itself is not visible, it remains under a blanket of snow.

That said, your question has been accurately answered above. Fast hikers can get from the chalet to the glacier (one way) in about 2 hours. Slow hikers can take up to 4 hours. It's a beautiful trail and I hope you get a chance to enjoy it.

Kev
danlowery

Post by danlowery »

Tibber-- thanks for that fantastic video! When did you do that hike? We are planning on doing it September 9 or 10, weather permitting. Couple of questions:

-- once at comeau pass, is there an endpoint so to speak for the hike and will there likely be footprints over snow to guide us?

-- are there steep ledges near the snow and ice we should be aware of?
-- do you hike on sperry glacier itself?
--what is the approximate driving time to start of trail at lake mcd lodge from mg area?

Thanks!
Jay w
Gender?: Male

Post by Jay w »

End point? Not really. There are signs, but I think the signs end well before you're "on" the glacier. I think you can climb up to the right (as you're hiking)and get "on" the glacier, but there's no real point. (It's fairly steep.) You can also cross a boulder field heading straight forward and get on the glacier (without much pitch), but again, there's not much point except just exploring around, which kind of is the point. So go for it.

Steep ledges? Yeah, but you should be able to see them. As for crevasses, late in the year I think they should be visible since the snow is gone. If you actually want to hike on the glacier, you should read about our hike (Todd and I) from last year. In other words, bring something like spikes or at least Yaktraxs for the feet. Poles are a minimum.

Driving time? It takes a while. If you're driving at 6 am, it should go pretty quick. If you're driving at 10 am, you'd sooner be sleeping with the devil (to quote Cotton).

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
trillerud

Post by trillerud »

Just hiked to Sperry Glacier (Aug 25). 4 miles to the pass (from chalet), then the sign says 1km to glacier.

But ... be warned .. the 1 km is not easy ... it is up and down steep, bumpy moraines, and over snow. You have
to follow the cairns and it is not always obvious which way to go. You can not see the full glacier at the pass.

Robin
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Just hiked to Sperry Glacier (Aug 25). 4 miles to the pass (from chalet), then the sign says 1km to glacier.
Robin,

Did you stay at the Chalet the night of the 24th? If so, I was there, too.
trillerud

Post by trillerud »

No I did not stay at the chalet ... camped at the campground on the 25th.

Return to “Hiking”