BC conditions report (6/30/14)

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

DaveC
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

BC conditions report (6/30/14)

Post by DaveC »

This past weekend I hiked from the Loop over Flattop, down into Waterton, up over Stoney Indian, through the Mokowanis valley, over Redgap Pass, down to Poia Lake, and into Many Glacier.

The curious spring weather has resulted in little snow below 6000 feet, but a lot above it. The Flattop trail is almost entirely clear to the Flattop campground, where it immediately transitions to 4-8 feet continuously all the way to beyond the 50 Mountain meadow. The trail up to the Stoney campground from the Waterton side is clear and dry almost all the way up. Numerous large avalanches filled in the creek bottom about 30 feet deep in the 1/2 mile below the campground, which hides the trail in a few spots. Stoney Indian Lake was 70% full of snow and debris. From the lake up to the pass was 100% snow, with crampons (in my book) mandatory. The trail east of Stoney Indian Pass was 100% snow until halfway down the switchbacks below Atsina Falls. The creek ford below the falls, which is often problematic, was no deeper than usual for this time of year (mid thigh on a 6' person for about two steps).

Above the Ptarmigan junction there are a few snow patches headed up to Redgap, while as per usual the upper sections to Redgap are clear. The south side of Redgap has a few trivial snow patches in the upper reaches, and the first stretch of switchbacks in the trees are covered 4 feet deep and difficult to follow.

If you're headed out soon for a backpack, it's probably worth calling the BC office in advance and discussing potential re-routes which may be necessary due to snow. If you have an ice axe and the associated skill, bring it.
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Re: BC conditions report (6/30/14)

Post by Stmarypete »

Wow that's one heck of a weekend trip, especially this time of year. You must travel light.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Very cool. I love it when the Dave C reports come in.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Jay w wrote:Very cool. I love it when the Dave C reports come in.

Jay
DITTO!

Return to “Hiking”