one day hike in Waterton or goat haunt area

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

danlowery

one day hike in Waterton or goat haunt area

Post by danlowery »

So several of us will be in staying in Waterton September 10 for one night before we head southward to Glacier for three nights. What are your thoughts on some of these possible day hikes? We average about three miles an hour when we hike in glacier.

Anderson-carthew
ferry to goat haunt and hike up to brown pass--doubt we could make it to boulder and back to goat haunt before last ferry leaves.
customs station--mokawanis river-stoney indian-goat haunt--26 miles--long day but worth it?
any other suggestions?

Thanks!
ND Sol
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: one day hike in Waterton or goat haunt area

Post by ND Sol »

Crypt Lake would be my choice.
GoDucks
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by GoDucks »

If it is still being done, the International Peace Park Hike (http://www.waterton.ca/waterton-glacier-peace-hike.cfm) might fit the bill for you. When we did it a few years ago, it was only being done once or twice a week. Lots of info about the park and the flora and fauna is imparted by both the American and Canadian Park Ranger/Interpreter, with one of each leading the hike. As I recall the hike is about 9 miles and mostly relatively flat, as it follows the lake from the Township out to Goat Haunt. The boat ride back from Goat Haunt was a nice change, as well. As I recall, we also had to make the reservations for that hike a few days ahead of time. I will say that if you do not like hiking in a large group, this one is not for you. And, it is certainly not so spectacular as the Crypt Lake route.
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Stmarypete »

I would highly recommend Carthew summit and skip the trip down the valley. No transportation problems that way and Cameron Lake is a delight. Spend some time in Waterton, it is a cool place and Prince of Wales hotel is worth a stop, have a drink and enjoy the view.

Return to “Hiking”