Divide / Henkel

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Siyeh

Divide / Henkel

Post by Siyeh »

Hi folks - If there are any locals or early-season travelers out there - would be interested to know the conditions if anyone has been up Divide Mtn. or Mt. Henkel so far this year. Or for that matter, any other condition reports on "early season" peaks (and trails) would be welcome.

Looks like snowpack is above normal this year, and the trail status reports make it sound like most of the trails are still snowed in up high, but was guessing that Divide Mtn. (if the logging roads aren't too deep in mud) and Mt. Henkel might be clear enough of snow to scramble to the top without ice axes etc. Thinking of heading to Glacier at the end of the week, and knowing the conditions from someone who has seen the area firsthand always helps.

Thanks...
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Divide / Henkel

Post by Ear Mountain »

Don't know snow conditions personally but a friend in Babb told me there's still plenty of snow in the MG valley. Also the Henkel Altyn area is usually closed in spring for Mountain Sheep birthing. Check the closures page here:

http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/i ... osures.cfm
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

afriend said he was doing divide last week but didn't speak w him afterwards. lots of snow on the neast slope but looked doable up the spine to the hut. beyond was clear near the ridge.
Siyeh

Post by Siyeh »

Thanks for the information, gentlemen... here's to another good season in Glacier.
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

I just returned from the east side last night. The Mt Henkel/ Altyn closure is in effect to allow goats and sheep to give birth unmolested, so the regular routes are off-limits. Crowfeet and Apikuni are open if you are interested in either of those peaks.
The regular route on Divide mtn is snow free, but the road is not. You can drive a little over a mile then there is a drift that will take a week or two to melt out. (there are several more drifts beyond that one) So if you don't mind the extra walk Divide would be an enjoyable day. Amazingly the lookout has stood through another winter. That is one stubborn building.

Happy trails
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

I wish somebody would figure out a way to save the Divide lookout building. It's the coolest.
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

I like that building as well Pitamakin. The building always makes me think of Gordon Edwards. There was an informal memorial to him for several years inside the lookout. Here is what it looked like last summer-

ImageDivide Mtn Lookout by jkmnomads, on Flickr

ImageDivide Mtn Lookout by jkmnomads, on Flickr

I won't even go inside on a windy day any more, and it's almost always windy up there.
Siyeh

Post by Siyeh »

Thanks for the local intel about the road to Divide Mtn., Chewy. Walking an extra mile or two doesn't sound bad. Helps to know in advance about the drifts, appreciate it.

Nice pictures of the lookout, too. It is a lot more... tilted... than I remember it. Only saw it from afar before, though - went straight up the east side of Divide Mtn. some years back, and didn't go past the lookout. Will have to try the lookout ridge this time, though. Remember reading that there is a pullout before the quarry from which you can head up the ridge. Haven't tried that route yet.

Thanks again.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

I got stuck in one of these divide mtn road drifts back in '99 early one sunday morning. had a rental and tried to blast thru it. bad idea. I had hoped to get some nice sunrise shots. had to walk out w/out bear spray, a little freaky at the time. waited over an hour on 89 for a car to come by. the guy that picked me up turned out to be a locksmith and ended up doing the knobs and locks on our cabin.
Siyeh

Post by Siyeh »

Thanks for the cautionary tale, Scott... Cured me of any desire to blast through snow drifts! That road always feels like a messy place to get stuck.

Return to “Hiking”