Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Concession for in-Park chalets open for bidding

Post by Selkie »

The concession for Granite Park and Sperry Chalets is open for bidding. The new 10-year contract takes effect January 1, 2015:
http://www.nps.gov/glac/parknews/solici ... ession.htm
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Concession for in-Park chalets open for bidding

Post by llholmes1948 »

Selkie wrote:The concession for Granite Park and Sperry Chalets is open for bidding. The new 10-year contract takes effect January 1, 2015:
http://www.nps.gov/glac/parknews/solici ... ession.htm
A bit worrisome I would say given what has happened with these concession contracts recently in Glacier and in other parks. I hope there will be no change.

Lyman
Jen

Post by Jen »

Glad I am finally staying at Sperry this year before any potential changes. :arrow:
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by Stmarypete »

Sperry Chalet was a real treat last Summer for our family and friends group. The service was great, the employees delightful and the food wonderful. The housing building is cold, dark and noisy. Would recommend a second floor room with a view to valley if possible, ear plugs, and a good sleep medication.
mikie

Post by mikie »

I hope there will be no change.
The listing for the bid has this statement:
...The Director, pursuant to 36 CFR, Part 51, has determined that the existing concessioner is not a preferred offeror for the Contract. Any proposal, including that of the existing concessioner, must be received by May 19, 2014...

My interpretation of this statement is that the existing concessioner is unlikely to get the contract. I guess we should be prepared for more disappointments from the NPS.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

mikie wrote:
I hope there will be no change.
The listing for the bid has this statement:
...The Director, pursuant to 36 CFR, Part 51, has determined that the existing concessioner is not a preferred offeror for the Contract. Any proposal, including that of the existing concessioner, must be received by May 19, 2014...

My interpretation of this statement is that the existing concessioner is unlikely to get the contract. I guess we should be prepared for more disappointments from the NPS.
That's actually just boilerplate language, inserted in all of these NPS solicitations ... there was a revision to the federal law governing concession contracts a number of years ago that mandated the disclaimer, ostensibly to set a level playing field for all bidders. It's no reflection on the current operator, at all.
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

I generally liked GPI and was disappointed that they lost the contract to Xanterra...

But I really like how Belton Chalets has managed Sperry and Granite Park Chalets during my visits...I will be VERY disappointed if they don't win the contract...
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

toddnick wrote:I generally liked GPI and was disappointed that they lost the contract to Xanterra...

But I really like how Belton Chalets has managed Sperry and Granite Park Chalets during my visits...I will be VERY disappointed if they don't win the contract...
Same here. The Luding family has been operating the chalets for 60 years now, and they've done an outstanding job of it. They deserve to be able to continue.

But that seems to matter little to the NPS bureaucrats, and even even though Xanterra is a pretty unimpressive company they definitely know how to say the things the NPS seems to want to hear. So I'm worried ...
Jen

Post by Jen »

pitamakan wrote:
toddnick wrote:I generally liked GPI and was disappointed that they lost the contract to Xanterra...

Same here. The Luding family has been operating the chalets for 60 years now, and they've done an outstanding job of it. They deserve to be able to continue.

But that seems to matter little to the NPS bureaucrats, and even even though Xanterra is a pretty unimpressive company they definitely know how to say the things the NPS seems to want to hear. So I'm worried ...
Yes. Exactly.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

The Grand Canyon South Rim contract, currently held by Xanterra, is also up for bidding:

http://www.nps.gov/grca/parknews/busine ... l-park.htm
As is a contract to offer Oversnow Vehicle Tours in Yellowstone.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Here is a link to an article in the Hungry Horse News:

http://www.flatheadnewsgroup.com/hungry ... f887a.html

I am a bit puzzled by the statement that potable water is available in Sperry Chalet rooms because I don't recall seeing it.

Lyman
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Yep, the statement about potable water being available in the individual Sperry Chalet rooms is in error, though potable water is available at the restroom building and the kitchen.

Water was available in the Sperry rooms historically, and the old sinks are still in place, but the water line to the dorm building was disconnected many years ago.

Mark
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

pitamakan wrote:Yep, the statement about potable water being available in the individual Sperry Chalet rooms is in error, though potable water is available at the restroom building and the kitchen.

Water was available in the Sperry rooms historically, and the old sinks are still in place, but the water line to the dorm building was disconnected many years ago.
Yes I remember those disconnected sinks in the dorm building. Must have been a leftover statement from the 1920s.

Lyman
rhughes
Donator
Donator

Post by rhughes »

I know the guy who manages Sperry Chalet and he is a great guy. He's been associated with the place most of his life and loves the place. During the season he hikes from Lake McDonald to the chalet about once a week to see how things are going for the guests. When guests made their introductions at dinner he was at our table and didn't even mention that he was the manager.

I doubt that another concessionaire could provide the high quality service of the current one.

Having personally experienced how Xanterra deals with long-time park vendors, who had a fantastic relationship with GPI, I certainly hope that they don't get the concession.
Roy Hughes, Artist-in-Residence Glacier National Park, 2005
Author of North Cascades Beautiful: An Artist's View
Author of 100 Beautiful Views of Glacier National Park
Jen

Post by Jen »

rhughes wrote:I know the guy who manages Sperry Chalet and he is a great guy. He's been associated with the place most of his life and loves the place. During the season he hikes from Lake McDonald to the chalet about once a week to see how things are going for the guests. When guests made their introductions at dinner he was at our table and didn't even mention that he was the manager.

I doubt that another concessionaire could provide the high quality service of the current one.

Having personally experienced how Xanterra deals with long-time park vendors, who had a fantastic relationship with GPI, I certainly hope that they don't get the concession.
Is that Kevin?

Return to “Lodging”