1 Week, 3 Big Hikes

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

derek.larson
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 1 Week, 3 Big Hikes

Post by derek.larson »

Jen wrote:For your Many to Goat Haunt option: Have you considered starting from Goat Haunt so you don't have to worry about catching the boat? Although, I guess you wouldn't be getting an alpine start or anything. I can't remember what time the first boat leaves from Waterton but I don't think it is very early.
Jen,
I've already checked boat times, and I don't see it as an issue other than if we caught the last boat, then we might not make it back across the border crossing near Chief Mountain before it closes for the night (please correct me if I'm wrong). This is goal #3 on the list, and we just might not have the legs for this one which will require moving at more of a trail running pace. If we're really fatigued before this trip, then going from Chief Mountain looks to be 5 miles or so closer (26 vs. 31 miles, I'm estimating). Another reason for ending at Goat Haunt is so my wife and daughters can enjoy tea-time at the Prince of Wales Hotel while they wait for us to arrive (maybe a little out of my wife's element, but the girls will probably love it). Well, it sounds like it might work at least. Besides, I really want to go through the Ptarmigan Tunnel. I even had an idea to bring along a scary costume and spook a hiker, or two, who entered the tunnel. Maybe a Predator costume, or something like that? Heck, I could probably ask for a toll to pass, and then we could finance the boat trip. OK, the costume thing is a joke (BUT, it would be so awesome).
We'll make the boat...(crossing fingers)...part of the reason to finish at Goat Haunt is for this very reason, I should point out.
Jen

Post by Jen »

This is the closest I have been to the Ptarmigan tunnel:
Someday I hope to pass through it :)

I am sorry folks. I start getting antsy and photo happy 'bout this time of year :)
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

I've never seen the Ptarmigan tunnel from that perspective! Cool pic.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Thanks CT!
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

derek.larson wrote:Paul/Jen,

I'm not remotely implying that I would even consider this, BUT, if you were to do a loop including Flinsch & Rising Wolf, would you utilize Dawson Pass or Pitamakan Pass as part of the loop, and would you go up Rising Wolf first, before heading to Flinsch, or go down it at the end? Hypothetically speaking, of course. This might event be a good warm up for the Skyline Experience. Also, would doing something like that considerable increase the amount of time the loop would take, even though I imagine it would be a few miles shorter (seems pretty obvious, but I though I'd ask)?

Derek
I would use Dawson pass to access Flinsch and Rising Wolf. Flinsch is right above Dawson and the ridge to access Rising Wolf is right there as well. I would climb Rising Wolf first and then do Flinsch. You could do it the other way as well but Rising Wolf will take longer so it would be good to get that out of the way first and then climb Flinsch on the way back if you have time. Doing both Mountains this way will be a full day 10-12 hours is my guess.

You could climb Rising Wolf from the shores of Two medicine lake as well. After reaching the top you would head down the ridge and climb Flinsch. This would probably be a shorter day.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Jen wrote: I am sorry folks. I start getting antsy and photo happy 'bout this time of year :)
I like it when you get that way. :D
Jen

Post by Jen »

pitamakan wrote:
Jen wrote: I am sorry folks. I start getting antsy and photo happy 'bout this time of year :)
...and the crowd screams "Don't encourage her!"
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

Jen wrote:
pitamakan wrote:
...and the crowd screams "Don't encourage her!"
:? Really? Not me.
I was actually thinking more along the lines of cheering, :arrow: "You go, Ipasha Jen!" :arrow:

As for being "antsy and photo happy"...maybe it's time for you to resurrect the "Slow Season of Fun" thread, Jen?
That might help keep you (and all of us) busy until we can start drooling over each others' travel plans in earnest... :mrgreen:
Jen

Post by Jen »

joybird wrote:"You go, Ipasha Jen!" :arrow:
Love you for this Joybird!
Jen

Post by Jen »

Gotta love the late winter/early spring when the activity around here starts to pick back up! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Hockey Ref wrote:Why try to cram so much into such a short period? The park isn't going anywhere. Better to enjoy the hikes than try to just pile on the miles.

Daw-Pit isn't doable in 6-7 hours unless you're running. And again, why? What's the point? It's much too scenic a hike to waste it moving so fast.

I call bull**** on this sentiment. The focus required to do big mile days means you are more likely, all things being equal, to see both more and better.

If I were to recommend three mega dayhikes, they would be the following:

-Chief-Many via Lee Ridge and the Ptarmigan Tunnel (Red Gap is a perfectly adequate sub).
-Floral-Sperry-St Mary Falls TH
-Scenic Point TH to False Summit TH (highway 2) via Mt Henry and the goat trail under Bearhat and Red Crow.

The last option does involve a short stretch of mild 4th class, and some easy route finding.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

As for being "antsy and photo happy"...maybe it's time for you to resurrect the "Slow Season of Fun" thread, Jen?

All threads converge on "It's picture time!"

Awesome photo of Ptarmigan tunnel from above, Jen!
(I have been nowhere near any of it - so many closed trails!)

Apologies for the thread detour -- back to 3 Big Hikes!!
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

DaveC wrote:
Hockey Ref wrote:Why try to cram so much into such a short period? The park isn't going anywhere. Better to enjoy the hikes than try to just pile on the miles.

Daw-Pit isn't doable in 6-7 hours unless you're running. And again, why? What's the point? It's much too scenic a hike to waste it moving so fast.

I call bull**** on this sentiment. The focus required to do big mile days means you are more likely, all things being equal, to see both more and better.

-Chief-Many via Lee Ridge and the Ptarmigan Tunnel (Red Gap is a perfectly adequate sub).
-Scenic Point TH to False Summit TH (highway 2) via Mt Henry and the goat trail under Bearhat and Red Crow.

The last option does involve a short stretch of mild 4th class, and some easy route finding.
I don't appreciate the language or tone, Dave. Totally unnecessary.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
rayeraye

Post by rayeraye »

You could also consider hiking Many Glacier to Ptarmigan to the Belly River and up all the way to the Canadian Border at Big Chief Mountain Customs. My husband did it as a day hike last year and he said it was glorious. Much more doable than your planned trek from Many to Goat Haunt, which does not seem like it is doable as a day hike at all.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Hockey Ref wrote:
DaveC wrote:

I don't appreciate the language or tone, Dave. Totally unnecessary.
Can't we all just get along??

Return to “Hiking”