Swiftcurrent Mt.

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

ND
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Swiftcurrent Mt.

Post by ND »

The Highline Trail was the first hike we did this year on our Glacier trip. We hiked to the Granite Park Chalet and stopped there to eat our lunch. We decided to hike another .9 to Swiftcurrent Pass to get a look at the chain of lakes in the Many Glacier Valley. While up at the pass it was another 1.4 miles to reach the summit of Swiftcurrent Mountain. I had never been up to the fire lookout so we went for it. From now on I will judge all switchbacks against the ones going up this mountain. It was tough! We wanted to quit, but since so much sweat had already been invested, we had to finish. Going back we intended on taking the Loop Trail back down to the highway and catch a shuttle to our van parked at Logan Pass. This would have saved us about 3.5 miles. However, we found out it would be too late for the the last shuttle and decided to hike back to Logan Pass. It dang near killed us! :shock: For the day it ended up being almost 20 miles of hiking including 2550 elevation gain to the mountain top. I have never been so happy to reach our vehicle. We started about 9am and got back round 9pm. This is me at the top of Swiftcurrent. I'm still looking fairly fresh at this point. 8)
Tsmith

Re: Swiftcurrent Mt.

Post by Tsmith »

Nice ND! We chose this route from Logan Pass down to the Swiftcurrent trailhead via the Pass our last day. The Grinnell Glacier Overlook and Lookout above the Pass were cloud socked in so we passed on those climbs. It was a beauty crossing Swiftcurrent Pass on the descend down into the valley.
Visit my Glacier NP Photo Gallery and leave comments if you like, thanks!
poky5mom
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by poky5mom »

ND this was the first hike we did in the park this year! We had never been to the firelookout before - we have done the glacier overlook - the climb to the lookout is tough! But we did the LOOP on the way out! NEVER AGAIN! My knees were killing me! We met some guys on the way down the loop & they asked us about the switchbacks to the lookout - according to their map there were only 7 - I said I"m pretty sure the map isn't drawn to scale! I think this was one of the hardest hikes we have ever done - We had to wait for the bus at the loop & then catch the bus at Logans Pass to St Marys - next time I would park my car at Logans Pass & Then you wouldn't have to worry about the bus! We got rain &hailed on on the way down the lookout!
Kim
ND

Post by ND »

ND this was the first hike we did in the park this year! We had never been to the firelookout before - we have done the glacier overlook - the climb to the lookout is tough! But we did the LOOP on the way out! NEVER AGAIN! My knees were killing me!
Yup, I thought after that hike I was finished for the week. :oops: I had no desire to hike again. Of course, after a good night's sleep I was ready to go again the next day. I was tired and stiff... but no blisters so I came out of it pretty well. The thing about the lookout was that the first few switchbacks seemed pretty run of the mill and I thought it wasn't going to be too bad. However, those last few were short and steep without much 'switchback' to them if you know what I mean. I think my body was leaning forward at about a 30 degree angle with my face virtually inches from the ground. :lol: At least that's the way I remember it. I really felt like giving it up, but I'm glad we persevered and made the top though.

Return to “Photography”