Triple Falls Update

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

MYK
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Triple Falls Update

Post by MYK »

I just returned from Glacier with a short stop in Banff and Jasper. I was travelling with a friend.

On August 10th we decided to try for Triple Falls. Thanks to toddnick for the instructions. The directions were right on but the distances were somewhat different.

We turned left in the parking area at the very bottom of the stairs to the Visitors Center. We passed the back of the new bathroom (no sinks in the new or old bathrooms - I guess it's a good thing there are water fountains just outside the old bathrooms) and continued to walk in a straight line. Somehow we missed the small, low chain fence and sign indicating this area is out of bounds.

After a quarter of a mile we got to Reynolds Creek and turned upstream (right). The scenery was beautiful as you have mountains with falls and stream coming from the left, straight ahead and the right. You can see how a triple falls would develop. But where are they?

We walked about a half mile and decided we couldn't go over the mountain straight ahead. That would result in the end of our walk.

Suddenly I noticed an odd shaped redish rock formation. I then noticed the falls. They don't go up. Rather they go down and are not all that big. Also, for the angle of view it would have been better had we been on the other side of the creek.

In order to take photos I almost had to hang over the rock on one side of the falls and snap with one hand and my arm extended. I wasn't looking thru the viewfinder and started with sky and eventually got a few with the falls. We then walk a few more yards to the point where the water goes over three sides and down.

Of course, the next step was to find a spot to go to the other side of the creek for a better and easier sight of view. There are good spots to cross earlier in our hike along the creek but we didn't know.

After about 10 minutes we heard some voices calling. I turned around and saw two rangers coming our way. One worked at the Visitors Center and the other was an enforcement ranger with stun gun and revolver, etc. She was not happy having to walk a mile to track us down.

After calling in our drivers license numbers she told us we'd be joining the Hidden Lake Overlook trail about halfway along the boardwalk. That was great as I then would only have to walk half of those stairs.

In an effort to inject some humor I asked if I could take her picture.

After reaching the boardwalk we decided to continue with that hike. Knowing what to now look for, I recognized the redish rock structure from the trail. There's really no way to tell what it is from up there.

Once I go thru over a 1000 photos I'll post some that are representative.

I really believe they should either make a trail or boardwalk to that area. The scenery of the water coming down from three sides is spectacular.
Jay w

Re: Triple Falls Update

Post by Jay w »

I think I was lucky when I went to the falls. One day I hiked back there and a couple days later when I went to return, signs were up indicating the areas was closed. I was able to walk quite a bit of it on either rock or snow, but I can certainly see why they close the area.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
MYK

Post by MYK »

The ranger told us you can walk there if it's snow covered.
Tsmith

Post by Tsmith »

I have this on my bucket list to capture on an early morning sunrise. Ranger told me this trip they don't encourage the short hike up but certainly wouldn't stop someone interested in venturing up the creek for a photo op.
Visit my Glacier NP Photo Gallery and leave comments if you like, thanks!
MYK

Post by MYK »

There's a small chain fence and a sign indicating off limits.

The next day I stopped there to take a picture of the fence and the sign and was told we can't go there. I told them I wasn't going but just wanted a picture of the sign and was permitted to go that far.

The Logan Pass ranger told me you're only permitted to go there when there's snow on the ground. They don't want to damage the growth.

It's all really too bad. I think they should make either a trail or boardwalk as it's something to see the water come down from three sides and end in one spot with a triple waterfall.

Return to “Photography”