Johnson's Campground - Review

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Tara
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Johnson's Campground - Review

Post by Tara »

We tried a night at Johnson's this year...arriving far too late to get a site at Many Glacier. While the tent sites are, for the most part, decent sized, it was EXTREMELY mosquitoey (is that a word???). Maybe the RV areas aren't as bad but our tent area was surrounded by very tall weeds. I also thought the bathrooms were REALLY in need of an update, or at least repairs. The doors on the showers are very small and cover only the middle of your body...it is quite strange. There was also a hole in the wall behind one of the toilets...like a big hole. In my experience at other places, that usually means rodents and bugs, esp. when you go in the middle of the night. The bathrooms at Swiftcurrent (and the shower house there) are cleaner and much nicer. And there is no comparison with the bathrooms at the KOA. Also, we had to pay extra for our 15 y.o. and 16 y.o., who they count as adults. You have to have a shower token, which is included in the price, but they only last 6 minutes...not enough when you're a lady with long hair to wash! It ended up not being much cheaper than the KOA would have been. So anyway, hopefully this is helpful. I don't like to be critical but had I known a lot of this I probably would have camped at the St. Mary campground in the park, or at the KOA (wanted to be not too far from Many Glacier in order to get a site the next morning). Oh, and my other concern...this is bear country adn their garbage dumpsters - every one of them - were overflowing and left wide open...that is trouble waiting to happen.
elscout198
Gender?: Male

Re: Johnson's Campground - Review

Post by elscout198 »

Thanks Tara, we were considering this place may have to look for more reviews online
(I have a trailer but still ...)

Did you get cell service there?
At least it has a nice view.

Is a Trip report coming with pictures ? and where did you camp going to and back from home.
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark"
(Eclipse by Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon)
Tara

Post by Tara »

Hi! Yes, trip report coming...it will be on my blog. We went to the remote Pryor Mts. in south-central Montana first, then through Yellowstone and Bozeman and Helena to Glacier. It was a fast trip. Our only other camping was in the Pryors for 3 nights...blissful and beautiful but horrible roads, you could never get a trailer up there! And then we were at Many Glacier for a few nights.

I would have felt better about Johnson's had the fee not been so high considering what you get for your $$. I can rough it (camping in the Pryors is BLM land...no water, no pit toilets, nothing...you find and filter water and dig a hole in the woods for a bathroom). But at that fee I expected no holes in the bathroom walls, unlimited (or at least longer) showers, etc. We got a cell signal there if I remember right...I'm pretty sure my daughter called me from teh campsite when I was doing laundry. But if I had to do it again (which would only be to be in St. Mary to get up early to get a site at Many Glacier) I would stay at the KOA or at the park campground.

I'll let you know when my report is up!
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Three nights in the Pryors! Excellent. :)

Anyhow, thank you for posting that review. The last sentence is the one that's the most important, I think, because it highlights a problem that's been characteristic of most of the businesses east of the park for decades. Johnson's is no better or worse than many of the others, and things vary at many of the places from season to season, but the fact is that there's often a prevailing local disregard for the fact that St. Mary and Babb are in the middle of bear country. It's not good for the bears or potentially the visitors, and it really makes me hesitant about camping east of the park.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Tara wrote:I would have felt better about Johnson's had the fee not been so high considering what you get for your $$.
Tara,

Thanks for posting your review and it should be very helpful to others.

Do you recall what the fee was? It might be helpful to know that as well.

Lyman
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

oops see below
Last edited by Pocketlint on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Tara wrote:We tried a night at Johnson's this year...arriving far too late to get a site at Many Glacier. While the tent sites are, for the most part, decent sized, it was EXTREMELY mosquitoey (is that a word???). Maybe the RV areas aren't as bad but our tent area was surrounded by very tall weeds.

I was at Johnsons for 2 nights just after you. You'll almost always have more mosquitoes around when camping near vegetation, especially thick stuff. I thought everyone knew that about skeeters. That's why I asked to camp down in that meadow where it was more open. I set my tent up out in the open for that reason. I didn't have many mosquitos

I also thought the bathrooms were REALLY in need of an update, or at least repairs. The doors on the showers are very small and cover only the middle of your body...it is quite strange.

Obviuosly I can't speak to the "ladies room" 8) The mens room and showers that I used were ok with me. The shower had a door similar to what you described. I could look over the door but I'm 6'4". I don't remember how close to the floor the door went, 12-18" or so. The shower had a curtain. Bottom line is the shower was nearly identical in construction to those at Swiftcurrent. So I'm not sure what you complaint is unless the ladies showers are radically different. Maybe I should photograph the mens romm next trip over. People can judge for themselves :)

There was also a hole in the wall behind one of the toilets...like a big hole. In my experience at other places, that usually means rodents and bugs, esp. when you go in the middle of the night.

The hole might be a problem. Did you tell them about it?

The bathrooms at Swiftcurrent (and the shower house there) are cleaner and much nicer.
Maybe, maybe not. I've been in the shower house at Swiftcurrent when it wasn't so nice. And the bathrooms in the Swiftcurrent camping area suck. They frequently smell bad. I have to clean bathrooms occasionally for my current job and I can tell you that the bathrooms in the Swiftcurrent camping area are NOT cleaned like I would clean them.

And there is no comparison with the bathrooms at the KOA.
The bathrooms at KOA are nicer than Johnsons in my experience. Maybe because it's a chain and has better standards?

Also, we had to pay extra for our 15 y.o. and 16 y.o., who they count as adults.
Treating 15 and 16 year olds as adults is not unusual in my experience.

You have to have a shower token, which is included in the price, but they only last 6 minutes...not enough when you're a lady with long hair to wash!
Frankly I don't remember exactly what the timer in the men's room shower said. I thought it was 8 minutes? The two times I showered it was plenty long enough for me and had good hot water. I will admit though that my hair, what's left of it, doesn't take long to wash 8)

It ended up not being much cheaper than the KOA would have been. So anyway, hopefully this is helpful. I don't like to be critical but had I known a lot of this I probably would have camped at the St. Mary campground in the park, or at the KOA (wanted to be not too far from Many Glacier in order to get a site the next morning). Oh, and my other concern...this is bear country adn their garbage dumpsters - every one of them - were overflowing and left wide open...that is trouble waiting to happen.
Bears are everywhere. They can smell garbage in a dumpster open or closed. Johnsons has no "rules" like GNP. I've never heard of bear problems at Johnsons although I'm sure bears have been around at Johnsons at some time or other...just as they frequent Swiftcurrent, Rising Sun and other GNP campgrounds. The idea that GNP campgrounds are "safer" than Johnsons or KOA because GNP CG's have all their "rules" is a real stretch in my opinion... especially when GNP arbitrarily enforces their rules, e.g. GNP says no coolers in your tent, but apparently it's OK to leave a cooler in a pop-up camper. The bears can smell food in a tent but can't smell food in a pop-up? That's absurd imo
My stay at Johnsons was $53.50 for 2 nights.

I haven't stayed at KOA St Mary yet this season, but advertised rates for an adult(17+) and 2 kids (13-16) is
$39.95 per day. Kids 0-12 are free.

So would you have saved money at KOA?

pocketlint :wink:
Tara

Post by Tara »

Pete,
Obviuosly I can't speak to the "ladies room" 8) The mens room and showers that I used were ok with me. The shower had a door similar to what you described. I could look over the door but I'm 6'4". I don't remember how close to the floor the door went, 12-18" or so. The shower had a curtain. Bottom line is the shower was nearly identical in construction to those at Swiftcurrent. So I'm not sure what you complaint is unless the ladies showers are radically different. Maybe I should photograph the mens romm next trip over. People can judge for themselves :)
There is a definite difference, in my opinion, in the doors of the Johnson's showers vs. Swiftcurrent. Also it is more of an issue because you walk in and they are right there to the left...whereas in the women's showers at Swiftcurrent they are way in the back and its a narrow hallway, people walking in the door can't basically look into the stalls without wanting or trying to do so. I noticed this and it was the first thing my daughter said when she came back. There just isn't enough coverage, its weird and a bit embarrassing.

No, I didn't tell them about the hole...we left before the opened and there is no way they don't know it is there...it is pretty big.
Maybe, maybe not. I've been in the shower house at Swiftcurrent when it wasn't so nice. And the bathrooms in the Swiftcurrent camping area suck. They frequently smell bad. I have to clean bathrooms occasionally for my current job and I can tell you that the bathrooms in the Swiftcurrent camping area are NOT cleaned like I would clean them.
I think the showerhouse at Swiftcurrent has improved over the years. I'm going by the last few trips since 2009...it is definitely much nicer, at least the women's side, than the bathroom at Johnson's. As for the campground bathrooms, yes, they sometimes smell bad but they are cleaned daily and there are no holes in the wall. There's no not water, which you do get at Johnson's.
The bathrooms at KOA are nicer than Johnsons in my experience. Maybe because it's a chain and has better standards?
I avoid KOA's when possible because you pay more for what you get, generally, but sometimes it is the best or only option so I've stayed at quite a few. They all have individual owners who pay a franchise fee. I've seen a big degree of variation in their bathrooms. The KOA in St. Mary and the one in Great Falls have the nicest ones. But I've seen some KOA's that have bathrooms on par with Johnson's.
Treating 15 and 16 year olds as adults is not unusual in my experience.
True...but not in all campgrounds.
You have to have a shower token, which is included in the price, but they only last 6 minutes...not enough when you're a lady with long hair to wash!
Frankly I don't remember exactly what the timer in the men's room shower said. I thought it was 8 minutes? The two times I showered it was plenty long enough for me and had good hot water. I will admit though that my hair, what's left of it, doesn't take long to wash 8)
They told us it was 6 minutes and the time said 6 minutes. I would agree that for men and boys it is probably fine but for girls with long hair, who also may want to shave their legs, it is NOT enough time.
It ended up not being much cheaper than the KOA would have been. So anyway, hopefully this is helpful. I don't like to be critical but had I known a lot of this I probably would have camped at the St. Mary campground in the park, or at the KOA (wanted to be not too far from Many Glacier in order to get a site the next morning). Oh, and my other concern...this is bear country adn their garbage dumpsters - every one of them - were overflowing and left wide open...that is trouble waiting to happen.
Bears are everywhere. They can smell garbage in a dumpster open or closed. Johnsons has no "rules" like GNP. I've never heard of bear problems at Johnsons although I'm sure bears have been around at Johnsons at some time or other...just as they frequent Swiftcurrent, Rising Sun and other GNP campgrounds. The idea that GNP campgrounds are "safer" than Johnsons or KOA because GNP CG's have all their "rules" is a real stretch in my opinion... especially when GNP arbitrarily enforces their rules, e.g. GNP says no coolers in your tent, but apparently it's OK to leave a cooler in a pop-up camper. The bears can smell food in a tent but can't smell food in a pop-up? That's absurd imo
Regarding bears and garbage. I agree that they can smell it whether open or closed. The difference is, bears can obtain food from an open dumpster. Once bears obtain human food, that is the problem. They will return to where they obtained the food before and bears do not forget...their mothers teach them a food source once, and they have to remember. These bears become problem bears and could become more aggressive in obtaining more human food. That is the problem. That is why I disagree...I feel that the park campgrounds, where food storage and the dumpsters are supervised as much as possible, is safer. Bears there probably have not obtained human food. As for coolers, I think it is stated that they are not supposed to be stored in a popup camper. When we use our popup all food and utensils are stored in containers that can be removed and put in a vehicle at night. I think the camp signs, etc. specifically state that they should be stored in a hard-sided vehicle.

I believe we paid $38 for one night. It would have been a little more at the KOA but I would have paid it to have unlimited showers in nicer bathrooms.

I know others may really like Johnson's. This is just my experience and my opinions.

Pitamakin:
Three nights in the Pryors! Excellent. :)

Anyhow, thank you for posting that review. The last sentence is the one that's the most important, I think, because it highlights a problem that's been characteristic of most of the businesses east of the park for decades. Johnson's is no better or worse than many of the others, and things vary at many of the places from season to season, but the fact is that there's often a prevailing local disregard for the fact that St. Mary and Babb are in the middle of bear country. It's not good for the bears or potentially the visitors, and it really makes me hesitant about camping east of the park.
It was indeed excellent...and not nearly enough time! I LOVE it up there!!!!

I agree about it not being good for the bears or potentially the visitors. I noticed an open dumpster at the Park Cafe too, not sure if they close it at night but the dumpsters at Johnson's were definitely open at night because they were too full to close! I did worry about it. I plan to talk to them about it, just haven't yet.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Hey Tara! :)

Thanks!
We can disagree on thsi stuff.
I know that the ladies usually have higher stardards than men for these things 8)
6 minutes is clearly "minus" in the shower category. Weird, because I could swear my shower ran much longer than 6 minutes.
I was prepared to use my 2nd token if I had to since I was really beat from hiking, but I didn't use it...and I genreally like long showers :)
Anyway, I may be staying there again this weekend.
I will take a much closer look at the bathrooms. I'll take pictures if I can, including inside the ladies room... if possible. That is if NObody is around.

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Pocketlint wrote:I will take a much closer look at the bathrooms. I'll take pictures if I can, including inside the ladies room... if possible. That is if NObody is around.
I can just see the newspaper headline on that:

"Whitefish man arrested in women's bathroom - Claims he was just doing research project on campgrounds" :shock:

Lyman
JustMike

Post by JustMike »

llholmes1948 wrote:
Pocketlint wrote:I will take a much closer look at the bathrooms. I'll take pictures if I can, including inside the ladies room... if possible. That is if NObody is around.

"Whitefish man arrested in women's bathroom - Claims he was just doing research project on campgrounds" :shock:

Lyman
Here's the horrible vision that I had after reading Lyman's comment:

(Headline with an above the fold photo)

Whitefish man arrested in women's bathroom
- Claims he was just doing research project on campgrounds

:shock: :lol: (Sorry Pete, it was just too easy. :twisted: )
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

JustMike wrote:
llholmes1948 wrote:

Lyman
Here's the horrible vision that I had after reading Lyman's comment:

(Headline with an above the fold photo)

Whitefish man arrested in women's bathroom
- Claims he was just doing research project on campgrounds

:shock: :lol: (Sorry Pete, it was just too easy. :twisted: )

ROFLMAO!!
I needed that today. Too funny 8)
I knew that shirt would get me in trouble one day!!!
You and Tammers are the BEST. I'll see y'all in a couple weeks. :mrgreen:

TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

:lol: :lol: My ribs are hurting! :lol: :lol:
joybird
Donator