Steripen with or without filter

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

il2gnp
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Steripen with or without filter

Post by il2gnp »

My husband and I will be day hiking in Glacier for two weeks this summer. While we plan to carry water it sounds like taking a steripen along would be a good idea. Would you advise getting the one with or without the filter?
Pocketlint

Re: Steripen with or without filter

Post by Pocketlint »

I'd buy the one with the filter as you may need it somewhere else...
OR if you are sqeamish about very tiny specks of whatever 8) in your water.(I'm not)
Most water sources in my experience in GNP are pretty clear.
It's not a big deal to carry along just in case. The filter doesn't weigh much at all.

pocketlint :wink:
trevbo
Gender?: Male

Post by trevbo »

If you do go with a steripen, make sure you have a fresh set of batteries. On my unit, if the batteries are not full the unit will power up but it will crap out before you I get the little happy face on the LCD screen that indicates all is good.
mrcub14

Post by mrcub14 »

I end up using the filter more for protecting the threads of the bottle from contamination. In my experience I could get by without it, but I think it's nice to have since I'm not a fan of tiny specks. I'd echo the suggestion about having fresh, or backup batteries.
mikie

Post by mikie »

Specks in the water can block the light from sterilizing the water completely.

I have been using the Camelbak All Clear this summer. I like it better then the Steripen. It has a built-in battery that will last about a week, and the battery can be recharged on the trail with a solar charger if the battery runs low. It has a life of approximately 2,000 gallons of water.
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

I used the Steripen for 4 years and was a big fan; because of the weight and bulk advantage even with the prefilter (I hate "floaters"). However, last summer it became unreliable and it would only function properly about half the time, even with fresh batteries. I'm giving it one more chance, but it will be in the trash if it fails to perform again.
il2gnp
Gender?: Female

Post by il2gnp »

I can tell that 'with' filter is the way to go. Thanks! Barb
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

O
Last edited by Straight Arrow on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

Costco has the Steri-pen kit with filter and bottle for $50 right now, just got one last night.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

sj in cal wrote:I used the Steripen for 4 years and was a big fan; because of the weight and bulk advantage even with the prefilter (I hate "floaters"). However, last summer it became unreliable and it would only function properly about half the time, even with fresh batteries. I'm giving it one more chance, but it will be in the trash if it fails to perform again.
No floaters for you huh? :)

Recently I've had the same experience as you have with "intermittant" operation. VERY frustrating.
I've gone back to my trusty filter.

pocketlint :wink:

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”