Red Bus question

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Snogger
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Red Bus question

Post by Snogger »

If this is posted elsewhere I apologize for starting a new topic, but my searching didn't find the answer(s). :oops:

We will be there from June 22nd to June 27th.
Since the Shuttle won't start running until July 1st, my only chance at Logan's pass (IF the road is open) is probably going to be on the Red Bus.

I'd love to at least hike to Hidden Lake Overlook, but not sure if the Red Bus stops at Logan's Pass long enough to make the hike??

We are renting a car, but my wife & daughters idea of a vacation is to do as little as possible, so driving back to Logan's Pass is probably out of the question.

Thanks for any replies!! :mrgreen:
Live by the Motto: Life is too important to be taken seriously!

Feel free to browse my images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/snogger/
Pocketlint

Re: Red Bus question

Post by Pocketlint »

Some people (the hoity-toity classes?) 8) scoff at hitchhiking in GNP, but it works pretty well imo.
If people will pick up ugly old men like me, they'll pick up most anyone.
Seriously though, I'd hitch if I were you.

pocketlint :wink:
Littlejohn Dsgn

Post by Littlejohn Dsgn »

Could always leave the wife and daughter back at camp/lodge/hotel and head up there yourself.

Also not sure about how long the stop is at Logan, I will be there just a bit after you are for our first Red Bus trip.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

I suggest you call GPI and ask them about the Logan Pass stop. In my experience the Red Bus tours stop at Logan Pass for only about 15-20 minutes, long enough for people to visit the Visitors Center there and have a bathroom break. Definitely not enough time to do any hiking including Hidden Lake.

I am not sure if you could get off one bus, do a hike and then board another bus but you could ask them. Might depend on if there was space available, which would be qite unpredictable.

Lyman
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

llholmes1948 wrote:I suggest you call GPI and ask them about the Logan Pass stop. In my experience the Red Bus tours stop at Logan Pass for only about 15-20 minutes, long enough for people to visit the Visitors Center there and have a bathroom break. Definitely not enough time to do any hiking including Hidden Lake.

I am not sure if you could get off one bus, do a hike and then board another bus but you could ask them. Might depend on if there was space available, which would be qite unpredictable.

Lyman
Agree. The red buses are tour buses with specific schedules and aren't intended to be used as hiker shuttles. The stop time at Logan probably isn't long enough for a hike anywhere in that area.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Snogger

Post by Snogger »

Thanks all for the quick replies!!

The Red bus is booked for Tuesday, June 25th with Wednesday the 26th having no plans right now.. Hopefully Tuesday's little teaser will convince them to go back up. :o

I'd drive myself, and may still do so, but fear that my gawking at the scenario will send me over the cliff.. Literally :shock:

Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

Snogger wrote:Thanks all for the quick replies!!

I'd drive myself, and may still do so, but fear that my gawking at the scenario will send me over the cliff.. Literally :shock:
I'd do the drive-self option. There are many small pullouts on Going to the Sun Road for cars (2-3 at most) to stop and take photos, gawk. You won't go over a cliff.
Or hitch. I've picked up many hitchhikers.
I would plan to be away from the family for most of the day, meet them back at the ranch for dinner. That way everybody can relax and plan their own day, and you can revel in new sights, possibly pick up another short hike in addition to Hidden Lake.
Good luck!
:arrow:
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Snogger wrote:Thanks all for the quick replies!!

The Red bus is booked for Tuesday, June 25th with Wednesday the 26th having no plans right now.. Hopefully Tuesday's little teaser will convince them to go back up. :o

Drive yourself at least one day.
My "mantra" regarding the Sun Road is :
"Go early or stay home" 8)
Staying at Apgar right?
If you get on the road early, before 0700, or preferably before 0600 if construction gates, etc. permit.
1) Traffic will be negligable, and so...
2) You'll be able to pull off at virtually all the pulloffs to enjoy the view and take photos.
3) better chance to see animals before traffic ramps up and it gets HOT.
There won't be any construction on the alpine part this year so it'll be great driving.
So roll outa the rack and get on the road early. 8)
You won't regret it.

Snogger

Post by Snogger »

Selkie wrote:
I'd do the drive-self option. There are many small pullouts on Going to the Sun Road for cars (2-3 at most) to stop and take photos, gawk. You won't go over a cliff.
Or hitch. I've picked up many hitchhikers.
I would plan to be away from the family for most of the day, meet them back at the ranch for dinner. That way everybody can relax and plan their own day, and you can revel in new sights, possibly pick up another short hike in addition to Hidden Lake.
Good luck!
:arrow:
Pocketlint wrote: Drive yourself at least one day.
My "mantra" regarding the Sun Road is :
"Go early or stay home" 8)
Staying at Apgar right?
If you get on the road early, before 0700, or preferably before 0600 if construction gates, etc. permit.
1) Traffic will be negligable, and so...
2) You'll be able to pull off at virtually all the pulloffs to enjoy the view and take photos.
3) better chance to see animals before traffic ramps up and it gets HOT.
There won't be any construction on the alpine part this year so it'll be great driving.
So roll outa the rack and get on the road early. 8)
You won't regret it.

Thanks for the replies.. Getting up early isn't an issue for me.. I get up daily at 5:15am for work and even on the weekends and vacations I am up before 6am.

Since the Wife & Daughter do like to sleep in, a drive up early in the morning maybe just what the doctor ordered..

Heck, seeing as I've seen them sleep until 9am, I could almost make it up there, do the hike, and be back before they even knew I was gone ;)

Two weeks from tomorrow I'll be on the train heading to West Glacier!! :arrow:

Return to “Road Information and Transportation”