Hiking with a GoPro?

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

pitamakan
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Hiking with a GoPro?

Post by pitamakan »

I've just treated myself to a GoPro camera as an early holiday present, and am hoping to use the thing to document my hikes and backcountry adventures next summer ... perhaps by creating time-lapse videos. I'm wondering if any of you folks have tried this, and have tips to share, or videos to show off -- either time-lapse or real-time stuff.

I've played with mine just enough to realize that there's a very different skill set involved with those things, compared both to still photography and conventional video work -- both because of the very wide-angle lens, and the lack of a traditional viewfinder. But it could be interesting, especially in high-exposure places like Glacier.

Here's a link to the one video I've tried so far ... not spectacular by Glacier standards, but it shows that there's some potential to it all:

http://youtu.be/2QBPiYcsIC4?hd=1
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Re: Hiking with a GoPro?

Post by Ear Mountain »

Looks like you have a good handle on getting to know your GoPro. Your video does have that rocking motion caused by your walking rhythm but it's not too bad. I once saw a movie that cross country skier produced and showed in a big movie theatre. Mo than a few folks got nauseous and had to leave the theatre. Looking forward to seeing some Glacier shots,
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Yep, the image stabilization issue is the big one, I think ... I'd like to smooth out that back-and-forth motion a little more, but I'm not sure how or if that can be done. (I've already applied some software-based image stabilization to that video.)

Unless I fall off a mountain or something, I'm sure I'll never be moving fast enough to make an audience nauseous ... a good thing for all concerned. :)
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

I think you did a great job with this movie! Fun to watch and we'll put together. It should work really well hiking in Glacier.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

[quote="pitamakan"] I'm wondering if any of you folks have tried this, and have tips to share, or videos to show off -- either time-lapse or real-time stuff./quote]

Congrats on the Go-Pro 3. My 2012 trip report has some Go-Pro video (if you didn't see it). You can follow the links to so xc ski race video. The Seeley Hill Classic seems to be the most popular one I've uploaded.

Jay
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Thanks, guys ... it was a fun first effort.

And Jay, I most definitely remember your CLASSIC trip report ... I just must not have been thinking in GoPro mode back then. I'll go take a look!

Mark
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

well done. looked like a 'sunday morning' video.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

The Gunsight Pass video (hike) was all with the Go-Pro. It was kind of an interesting hike since I left behind my normal anchors (large cameras). My youtube stuff is under mnhoser

http://www.youtube.com/user/mnhoser?fea ... sults_main

I think the only video on there that is not with the Go-Pro is the Moose stuff at Fishercap.

Jay

Return to “Photography”