Need transportation from Logan's Pass to Apgar

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

brookes
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Need transportation from Logan's Pass to Apgar

Post by brookes »

Hi!
I've got a trip to Glacier planned for 9/1 - 9/15. My start is at Two Medicine and I come out on Logan's Pass so it doesn't make sense/is not feasible to use a rented car. I figure I can use Flathead Glacier Transportation to get me from the airport to Two Medicine at the start of the trip. However, Flathead is not allowed in the park and the Glacier NP shuttle stops on 9/3, so when I exit at Logan's Pass I am kind of stuck. Is there anyone who would be willing to shuttle me from Logan's Pass to Apgar on 9/14? From there I can use Flathead to shuttle me to the airport the next day. I can compensate for gas, park entry, and the inconvenience.
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Need transportation from Logan's Pass to Apgar

Post by toddnick »

Just so you know, Two Med Campground area (where you would probably start your hike) is in the Park several miles (unless you plan on doing the trail from the entrance to Pitamakan Pass)......not sure if you looked at this for your arrival....
brookes

Post by brookes »

I will be heading up through Pitamakan Pass so I could start from the park entrance, assuming I can pick up a permit there. If not, maybe I can hitchhike into the campground ranger station. I think my bigger concern is getting out from Logan's Pass though.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

I think your best bet might be hitch hiking from Logan Pass to Apgar.
9/14 is the last Friday for West access. My guess is there will be a lot of West bound traffic over Logan Pass.
If possible make a lil sign "Apgar".
So, I think your chances of getting a ride will be very good 9/14 if you get to the pass at a reasonable hour.
Hitching for old geezers like me is pretty safe....and it probably is for women too.
Be careful just the same.

pocketlint :wink:
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

The trailhead for Pitamakan Pass and on to Morningstar Lake???? (ur 1st night maybe)is a LONG walk from the park entrance.
Where does your transportation leave you the morning of your first day on the trail?
Sounds to me you need a ride, or walk from that point to the Pitamakan TH at the Two Med Campground.
You can get permits at the Two Med ranger station...until mid Sept? or just through Labor Day?
Someone will know or you can call the BC Office and ask.
Do you have a reserved itinerary now?
Or are you still planning?
Page 4 fine print below the map too 8)
http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/u ... -Guide.pdf

pocketlint :wink:
brookes

Post by brookes »

Actually I misspoke below (it's late here), my real hiking starts on 9/2. I did get a permit already, and the start / end is below:

8/31 Fly into Kalispell, shuttle to East Glacier
9/1 Shuttle in @ Two Medicine, camp @ campground
9/2 MOR
9/13 FLA
9/14 Out at Logan's Pass, shuttle to Apgar Village Lodge
9/15 Taxi to airport, fly out

I was looking at the GPI website and there's a shuttle from Glacier Park Lodge to Two Medicine so I can take this into the park. At the exit, if the Flathead shuttle can't go in to Apgar Village Lodge, looks like there is a Belton train station shuttle out of the park and Flathead can pick me up at the train station. I guess I'll be making some calls tomorrow to try and make this work.

Is hitchhiking pretty well accepted up in Glacier? I'd prefer to arrange a ride from Logan's pass to Apgar ahead of time but can keep hitchhiking in mind as a backup.

Also do you know if bear spray/fuel is sold at Two Medicine?
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

brookes wrote:Is hitchhiking pretty well accepted up in Glacier? I'd prefer to arrange a ride from Logan's pass to Apgar ahead of time but can keep hitchhiking in mind as a backup.

Also do you know if bear spray/fuel is sold at Two Medicine?
Hitchhiking is well accepted but is not allowed within one-half mile of an entrance station.

Bear spray would be available at Glacier Park Lodge and at the Two Medicine Camp Store and other places in East Glacier. Not sure about fuel at Two Medicine.

I think the Trading post at East Glacier would sell fuel. You could give them a call.

Lyman
pitamakan
Gender?: Male

Post by pitamakan »

It would be good to have everything you need before leaving East Glacier, I think. The campstore at Two Medicine closes for the season in early September, and so the stock is likely to be fairly picked over by the time you get there.

Park Service staffing levels at Two Med will be dropping by then, too ... the station there isn't always continuously staffed, so it wouldn't hurt to confirm that there will be someone available to issue your permit.
brookes

Post by brookes »

Thanks everyone for the info! The support and community on this forum is absolutely wonderful.

Return to “Road Information and Transportation”