Logging Creek

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Tara
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Logging Creek

Post by Tara »

Does anyone know why Logging Creek cg still shows up as "closed" on the status page, when it is supposed to be open according to the report on opening dates? Was there damage or something? Pete, have you been up there lately? I know you said it was open last year.
pitamakan
Gender?: Male

Re: Logging Creek

Post by pitamakan »

There's been some flooding up in that area ... Logging Creek is apparently working on finding a new channel for itself near the North Fork road, though I don't know how directly it's impacted the campground. Since I'm in Polebridge part of today, I'll see if i can find out any news.

Mark
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Talked to a friend who's an NPS seasonal at Polebridge tonight, and he said that the Logging campground had been flooded earlier this summer, but the water was now out of the campground. It'll likely open later this month after its dried out.

There's still water running across the inside road at Logging, though, and work hasn't started on fixing that. Sor the inside road will probably stay closed for a while. :(
Tara

Post by Tara »

Darn....thanks for looking into it for me. With tomorrow's forecast I doubt things will improve. Thank you!
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Park at Logging Creek and hike back in there on foot??
Sullivan Meadow is only about a mile or so.

pocketlint :wink:
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

pitamakan wrote:There's still water running across the inside road at Logging, though, and work hasn't started on fixing that. Sor the inside road will probably stay closed for a while. :(
At least the road will not be dusty at that location.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Here's what they're facing at Logging Creek.
I took this video June 21st 2011.
About 90 seconds, very brief for me. Maybe I felt poorly that day 8)

http://youtu.be/kYhZ8BcQSJc

I'm sure it's frustrating for them to have to keep rebuilding the road.
Up around Anaconda Creek is a bad spot too for damage.

pocketlint :wink:
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

I was up at Logging yesterday and talked to Ken and Rita, the long-time rangers there.

There's still a small amount of water running across the road, and a washout maybe 20 feet long and three feet deep beyond that. There's apparently also a small washout at Anaconda Creek, and a number of downed trees along the road. The Park Service hasn't started doing any flood-repair work on the road yet, but once they get around to it I can't see it taking more than a couple of days to fix.

The campground damage is actually a little more severe. Maybe a third of the campground loop road became a temporary streambed during the flooding, and is eroded away ... they'll have to dump a fair amount of material there to get the road built back up, and so it might be a while before that happens. I hope the Park Service decides it's worth the trouble.

Regardless, the park really needs to just bite the bullet and do some channel work in Logging Creek, both to protect the road and the ranger station area ... otherwise, this is going to keep happening every spring.
Tara

Post by Tara »

We ended up camping at Bowman...next time, hopefully Logging! Pete: We did drive the inside road a ways down. After a road I was on in "The Yaak", the inside road is no longer a problem at all. Thanks for the info. I love the north fork...want to spend more time there!
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Post by wnysteve »

Today the NPS Glacier website shows LoggingCreek campground as open. This is a recent change, since I check the status about every other day and it had been closed. NF Inside Road is still closed from Fish Creek to Logging. Can anyone "on the ground" confirm either of these two statements?

Return to “Camping”