Tent Stakes

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Pocketlint

Tent Stakes

Post by Pocketlint »

This comes under "and Such" since some of these you wouldn't want to be "Backpacking" anywhere!! :mrgreen:

All this is my NON expert "opinion"....as I'm sure there some out there who can make the little "pin" type stakes work in virtually any situation. I ain't that good so I own, and use a variety of stakes depending on the situation. The size and weight of tent stakes is not a factor for me when car camping.

I thought about this as a subject after camping overnight this weekend at Many Glacier with my new "car camping" tent.
Glacier National Park, especially the East side can be very windy. Winds over 30mph are not unusual. Some campgrounds are more open than others. I've learned from experience that staking your tent out "tighter than a nun's bunn" is a good idea.

Weather and wind conditions in Glacier Park can change dramatically in a matter of hours...if not minutes! So when car camping, I stake my tent assuming the worst conditions will prevail.

I used my new car camping tent for the first time this past Friday night at Swiftcurrent camp ground. There was a just a light breeze when I arrived, but I knew that would change later...and the wind did pick up some time early Saturday AM.
I used the stakes that came with the tent for the four corners of the tent. I used my "sand-hogs" for the four corners of the fly.

Here is a picture of some of the tent stakes I own along with some line, a hammer, and my blaze orange tackle box I carry that gear in. Tape measure for perspective.
From Left to right.
Sand-hogs--12" long and 10oz. Steel rebar and flange mean once pounded in, they aren't going to move. I use these a lot because I have them :)
Orange stake-- Aluminum 9" long and 3oz--OK but lack a "hook". Wide and hold well in soft earth.
Unpainted steel stakes-- 9" long and about 3oz. I use these frequently. I can pound these into hardpack gravel and not worry.
The last two are "wire type" aluminum pin type stakes that are the type usually sold these days. 7" long and reasonably sturdy. Difficult to bend when pounded with a steel hammer or a handy "rock". The ones with the black arrow came with my new tent. The ones on the far right came with my Tarptent.
The problem with the slender "wire" type stakes is that in soft earth they simply won't hold well....if they hold at all.
The small wire type work OK in the backcountry with my tarptent with its low profile. Most of the sites I have camped in have fairly hard packed tent pads. And if the ground is too soft, I can always anchor my tarptent with big rocks.
Car camping tents are a different story. Many have much larger profiles and are more susceptible to wind loading...and therefore require much more substantial stakes...in my opinion.
Over the years, I've seen more than one tent have its fly blown away, or worse, because it wasn't staked down well. If you don't have your tent staked down tightly, the wind will cause it to "flap" and it will continue to loosen up the lines...and can eventually pull the stakes out of the ground....and then you have a problem.
So I like to use stakes that when I rig the lines I can put a LOT of tension on them. When your tent and fly are rigged tightly initially, then the wind will have a much more difficult time working things loose...and you cannot put the tension required on the lines if the tent stakes aren't anchored well in the soil/rock. So bigger is better sometimes when it comes to tent stakes.

And don't buy those "plastic" tent stakes. They aren't worth spit imo. And neither are the cheap aluminum stakes. They'll bend too easily if you try pounding them into hard pack. If you buy aluminum, buy the high quality rigid aircraft grade stuff. I prefer a steel hammer for pounding stakes, but a good rubber mallet will work for most people.

pocketlint :wink:

Maybe I did this because I'm bored while I wait oin the US Open coverage to begin!! 8)
pitamakan
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Tent Stakes

Post by pitamakan »

I'm impressed ... pretty much every tent stake I buy ends up looking like a bent-up corkscrew after the first camping trip, after I hit an underground rock while trying to pound it in. :)
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

What kind of tent is that??

What do you think of it??
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

I'm impressed ... pretty much every tent stake I buy ends up looking like a bent-up corkscrew after the first camping trip, after I hit an underground rock while trying to pound it in.
Thanks :) I've had those three sets of stakes on the left for 20+ years. I've beat the daylights out of them.
When I bought the dozen sand-hogs, I paid $1.00 each for them at Army-Navy in Newport News VA.... and thought they were "expensive LOL!!!

Todd: that is an Alps Mountaineering Edge 4 tent. I bought it on sale for $99.00 here in WF at Sportsmans Skihaus a few months ago.
It's on sale in a lot of places
http://www.bobwards.com/ALPS%20MOUNTAIN ... Tent-82094

I'm not sure why it's been sold so cheap lately. Maybe they're going out of business. REI sells them too.
The big question, as always, will be how well it holds up over time.

My REI dome tent I've had 20+ years is in good shape but needs to have all the seams resealed. I need a good sunny hot day for that. I got this one as a sort of backup until I get those seams done. The REI is "bombproof"--having been in many a storm with never a problem!! :)
That said, I like this Alps tent because it has more room.

It has plenty of room, more headroom than my REI Dome dent which is nice. The vents on the sides might be an issue if you get a hard, wind driven rain.
I'm thinking of adding a couple extra velcro straps to secure those vents better in a hard blow....but that may be overkill.
Access is good. Identical mesh doors on either side. The fly flaps are easy to zip closed and open from inside the tent.
All in all it's a good value for $99.00.
I do use a good poly tarp under it to help protect the floor from abrasion.
And I put an old fleece blanket on the inside to take the chill off the floor and keep stuff from sliding.

Last edited by Pocketlint on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deb1741
Gender?: Female

Post by Deb1741 »

The ALPS tent for $99.99 was a great deal! Braeden and I were out at Big Bear Sports today and they have it on sale there for $179 :shock: .
Deb
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

It looks very similar to my Eureka Apex tent (except for color) that has been great for me (also about $90).....

I did throw out my first one after 100 nights of use over 4 years in 2010 when the zippers on the fly broke....
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

I made a mistake!!
That tent is the Alps mountaineering Edge 4 tent, NOT an Edge 2.
It's bigger than an Edge 2, but 4 people? They better be close friends is all I can say. :mrgreen:
Sorry!! :(

Here's an ad for it if you want specs. etc.
http://www.bobwards.com/ALPS%20MOUNTAIN ... Tent-82094
Deb1741
Gender?: Female

Post by Deb1741 »

Pocketlint wrote:I made a mistake!!
That tent is the Alps mountaineering Edge 4 tent, NOT an Edge 2.
It's bigger than an Edge 2, but 4 people? They better be close friends is all I can say. :mrgreen:
I've always thought that must be a whole lotta spoonin goning on in the tent factories when they decide on how many people can be in a tent. The tent that my grandson and I have been using for years is supposed to be a 6 person tent. Well, I could see 3 people in it and maybe 4 if all the gear was stored in the car.
Deb
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess
Tiz
Gender?: Male

Post by Tiz »

I tried many tent stakes. This one made me happy:

http://hilleberg.se/product/y-peg

It's not the lightest one. It's not cheap. And you can still destroy it if you really want. But it's the best compromise I found so far.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”