Hiking times for best photos?

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Hiking times for best photos?

Post by Jay w »

Ref, don't feel bad. I headed for Fisher Cap with the same idea and the moose were on the trail. I got the camera out of my backpack, hit the shutter, and "Beep, beep, beep." The self timer was on from the last shoot, and it wasn't the 2 second but the 10 second. Forunately, the moose (family) just looked at me with a "you dumb ship" kind of expression.

How to post pictures

1. Take picture
2. Put picture on Photobucket or equivalent
3. Copy direct link to picture
4. Past direct link into post
5. Highlight direct link (in post)
6. Click "Img" above the post. That puts a {img} before the link and a [/img] after the link.
7. It's kind of the same deal for bold, italics, etc.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

That's my buddy "Bullwinkle" !!!!! 8)

Taken with a "disposable camera" September 11th 2010 about a hundred yards off trail....not far from where Jay's picture was taken. Bullwinkle was pretty close(25-30ft?) since these disposable cameras have a pretty wide angle lens. He was kinda shy though. I had to yell at him to get his head turned to the camera.

pocketlint :wink:

ImageImage
Not too bad a shot for a "throw away camera"
Taken the morning of 9/11/2010 as I was driving over to Many Glacier(Bullwinkle pictures were later that afternoon). The sun was just coming up. Not a great photgraph and would be totally unremarkable except for the date 09/11. The clouds and impending bad weather at Logan Pass, the "mood" of the moment sorta felt like that date to me...so I snapped this one with my lil toss away camera. I was surprised I got a picture at all.
Heavy Runner

Last edited by Pocketlint on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Close. Real close. Nice.

Jay
MYK

Post by MYK »

Thanks. Let me see if this works.

If somehow this works the first time I describe here.
Taken in Banff last summer. I was driving up and down a mountain road early in the morning. Almost dark. I rounded a bend and saw something black about a hundred yards away. I drove up right beside it and started to shoot. I opened the car door and stepped out but jumped back in when it growled at me. When it went down the hill I drove around the next bend and it walked out right beside me.

Taken at 1/200sec, f6.3, ISO6400

MYK

Post by MYK »

My fault. Send try.

MYK

Post by MYK »

Success!!!

Forgot to mention. Shot with my Canon 15-85 lens at 67mm. Not cropped.
MYK

Post by MYK »

pocketlint,
I guess the noise is because of the high quality camera.

I just ran it thru noise reduction and look at the difference.

Nice shot!!!

Jay w

Post by Jay w »

That looks like a CTM (charge to maul) time of about 1.5 to 2 seconds. Nice. That's plenty of time for you life to flash before you, no problem.
:)
Jay
lava0079

Post by lava0079 »

So is setting out on the Grinnell Hike around noon a completely stupid thing to do then?
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

lava0079 wrote:So is setting out on the Grinnell Hike around noon a completely stupid thing to do then?
What time of year will you be doing the hike?
All depends on how fast you can hike and how much time you want to spend up there.
It's about 6 miles up there and 1500ft of elevation rise.
So if you can make 30 minute miles going up with that sort of elv change, it would be 3 hours up and probably something less than 3 hours back down plus whatever time you spent up there....so maybe 6 hours total round trip time....depending on time you spend stopping on the way up and down taking breaks, pictures , etc.
Or a little more conservative estimate might be 45 minute miles going up for 4.5 hours going up and maybe 3 hours down plus 1/2 hour taking pictures, eating, whatever. for a total of about 8 hours....plus breaks etc.
If you're hiking from mid July to mid August, you should have enough daylight to get it done before dark if starting at noon.
That said, many people don't recommend hiking around that last hour of daylight since it's a time period when many animals tend to move around.
And you really don't want to be hiking after sunset anywhere in the park.....sooooooo
Personally, I would recommend you start earlier to give yourself a cushion in case "stuff happens"...like a thunderstorm.

pocketlint :wink:
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

lava0079 wrote:So is setting out on the Grinnell Hike around noon a completely stupid thing to do then?
Agree with the above. The entire length of the Grinnell Glacier hike is prime bear habitat, and bears and other animals often are more active in the late afternoon/early evening hours. Plus, the latter portion of the hike on the return takes you through forest and thick brush where spotting a bear from a safe distance isn't feasible. If I was going to do the hike late in the day, I'd want to make sure I was with a group of people instead of alone or with just one other person. And don't forget to make plenty of noise!
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

As pocketlint said, it depends. If your goal is to take wonderful photos of the Glacier, I am not sure that I would want to go that late. The glacier is going to get good sun in the morning to mid-afternoon and then it will get more and more in the shade.

However, other views may be spectacular. On the hike back late in the afternoon, the sun will be at your back and shining on the Many Glacier Valley. That can offer some stunning photo opportunities. We noticed this in 2002 when we were hiking back from Iceberg Lake about 8 P.M. with the valley brightly lit by the setting sun.

Lyman
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

llholmes1948 wrote:
As pocketlint said, it depends. If your goal is to take wonderful photos of the Glacier, I am not sure that I would want to go that late. The glacier is going to get good sun in the morning to mid-afternoon and then it will get more and more in the shade.

However, other views may be spectacular. On the hike back late in the afternoon, the sun will be at your back and shining on the Many Glacier Valley. That can offer some stunning photo opportunities. We noticed this in 2002 when we were hiking back from Iceberg Lake about 8 P.M. with the valley brightly lit by the setting sun.

Lyman
Very true!
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

One time i left on this hike at about 6 pm. I was curious to see how it looked up there for sunset, so I hauled along a couple flashlights and some photogear. Basically everything was in shadows, but it was interesting because it was different. It wasn't good light for photos, but what the hell. i did a quick search through my files for the photos I took. I remember doing a couple of 4x5 sheets, maybe it was 120, that needed stitching and I didn't have software that would do the stitching. (Interesting.) Hopefully I get to that little project soon.

So, leave on the hike when you can leave. A day on Grinnell is better than a kick in the teeth or a day in the office.

Jay
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I found the photos from that evening up at Grinnell. This was two 4x5 shots that I finally combined in photoshop.

Jay

Return to “Photography”