Apgar Village Lodge

General Lodging information.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

calicotraveler
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Apgar Village Lodge

Post by calicotraveler »

Apgar Village Lodge is now taking reservations for the 2013 season. If you know that far in advance that you'll be going to Glacier and would like to stay in one of their cabins for the 2013 season you can make your reservations now. I did, as it was difficult to get the cabin we wanted for 2012 when we tried to make the reservations in August for July 2012. Here's the link: http://www.westglacier.com/
The mountains are calling and I must go.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male

Re: Apgar Village Lodge

Post by Hockey Ref »

They probably started taking reservations earlier this month. I made my August 2012 reservations for Swiftcurrent on March 1, 2011.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

I didn't know about the cabins and motel rooms in a separate area, on the Flathead River. Looks nice there.
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

It is quite nice.....

I stayed there in September, along the outlet to Lake McDonald.....

A wonderful place to "hang out" and appreciate the beauty of the Park.....

Not quite the views of Village Inn but right next door....
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Post by brindledog »

The Village Inn (which has rooms with balconies that overlook Lake McDonald) is managed by Glacier Park Inc.

The Motel beside Eddie's and the cabins are managed by West Glacier Village. They also have a motel in West Glacier, beside the restaurant. There is a map on their site that shows location of cabins and motels.
http://www.westglacier.com/west_glacier_motel.php

I mention this because I was confused about who managed what the first time I visited Glacier.

I have stayed in Village Inn and cabins - both are nice options. Some small cabins have fridge and small table, some have a kitchen and dining table. As Toddnick mentioned, there are some really nice cabin options that are right on Lake McD.
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

I was confused about this too at first. Now that we've been to Glacier 10 times we've stayed in the Apgar cabins and the cabins at West Glacier. Never have stayed at the Village Inn though. The VI has a wonderful view but considering that it is right next to the cabins at Apgar Village and that the same view is available by walking 50 feet or so, we've always gone with the cabins. What we've noticed is that over the years that reservations have to be made earlier each year to get a cabin. Especially when we like to stay for about 2 weeks. Reservations opened this year March first, and that is when I called. :)
The mountains are calling and I must go.
rail freak

Post by rail freak »

This will be my 1st time there! I was told to book a room at the Village Inn but, was only able to get a room for 2 nites. So I booked a cabin at the Apgar Lodge for 1 nite & will move to the Inn for the remaining 2 nites!?!? ( just doing what I was told ) Since I'll be traveling by Amtrak & don't drive, I may have a problem with my Duffle Bag, as the Lodge told me they cant hold my bag for the day til check in time, as I try to play tourist (rent boat,shuttle, etc.)! Any suggestions???
Thanx :?:
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

Check with Apgar Village lodge. Tell them what your problem is and ask them if they might be able to store your bag for you until you can check into the Village Inn. I have found that in the past the people at AVI are very helpful. Good luck with this. You are going to love Glacier!
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator

Post by isleroyaleguy »

We had that same problem last year coming off Amtrak we had an extra bag of travel pillows and clothes for ride home that we didn't want to haul around backcountry for 2 weeks. So I asked the AVL folks but they couldn't help us. We ended up hanging it in a tree out of site for that time. Worked great. Heard from some others that they had stored stuff in the bear box at the hike/biker site at campground. It worked for them.
Just a thought
IRG
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator

Post by isleroyaleguy »

Also. I don't know which way your coming in on Amtrak but if you are coming from east you won't get to West Glacier till very late and its a ways from depot to the Apgar area. You might need to arrange a shuttle.
IRG
rail freak

Post by rail freak »

I'm coming in from the west, scheduled to arrive around 8am (have a reservation for shuttle). Apgar Lodge check in is 3pm & they told me they couldnt hold my bag for me til 3pm, while I do what ever. The next day I'm checking into the VI, so I may have the same problem!?! The 3rd day I wont have the problem & have the Red Bus Tour booked.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

rail freak wrote:I'm coming in from the west, scheduled to arrive around 8am (have a reservation for shuttle). Apgar Lodge check in is 3pm & they told me they couldnt hold my bag for me til 3pm, while I do what ever. The next day I'm checking into the VI, so I may have the same problem!?! The 3rd day I wont have the problem & have the Red Bus Tour booked.
So as I understand it, you are arriving at West Glacier on the eastbound train at 8:16 A.M. (if on time), going to Apgar and then babysitting your luggage until you can check in to your room at the Apgar Village Lodge at 3 P.M. Sitting around a picnic table at Apgar is not the worst situation by any means (not sure what you do if it is pouring rain) but it sounds like this puts a serious crimp into your visit to Glacier.

If I were you I would call the Village Inn to see what their policy is. If they are accommodating, keep calling to try to get a room there. There are always cancellations.

If that doesn't work, you may want to try the Glacier Highland Resort for that first night. They have kept luggage for us when we stayed there in the past and went to Sperry Chalet for a couple of nights. If you do that you could hopefully walk or catch a ride to the transit Center in Apgar and then take a park shuttle to Lake McDonald Lodge, Avalanche area or Logan Pass and see some of the park on your first day. The Glacier Highland is not at a very scenic location but since you are a rail freak, you can watch a lot of trains from there ("Trains at your doorstep" as one reviewer in the Trip Advisor once wrote). It is right across the street from the station.

The other suggestion would be to see if Lake McDonald Lodge would store your luggage if you stay there. If so, see if you can get a room there for your first night.

As you come in on the morning train, I would suggest that you get up early (around Libby, Montana at about 5:30 A.M.) and go to the lounge car and watch the sunrise. It is a beautiful run from Libby to the Park and of course you also go through the Flathead Tunnel between Libby and Whitefish. The trip by train between West Glacier and East Glacier is also very scenic. If you come to the Park from the east by train and detrain at East Glacier or if you come to Park from the west by train and detrain at West Glacier, you miss the best scenery.

Hope you have a great trip and will post a report of your trip.

Lyman
rail freak

Post by rail freak »

Thanx, I've been thru GNP several times on Amtrak & it is one of my favorite scenic Amtrak routes in the country. I'm from Florida, doing another cross country trip, & am gonna hop off in West Glacier to get a closer look at the Park. I don't drive so I'll be using the shuttle & Red Bus Tour, & neither one of those allows luggage, as I understand it. So, I'm trying to figure out what I can do with my duffle bag while I go check things out.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

rail freak wrote:Thanx, I've been thru GNP several times on Amtrak & it is one of my favorite scenic Amtrak routes in the country. I'm from Florida, doing another cross country trip, & am gonna hop off in West Glacier to get a closer look at the Park. I don't drive so I'll be using the shuttle & Red Bus Tour, & neither one of those allows luggage, as I understand it. So, I'm trying to figure out what I can do with my duffle bag while I go check things out.
I am sorry to hear that you have had so much trouble finding a place in the Apgar area that would be willing to store your luggage while you enjoy the Park. Perhaps someone on the Chat has some suggestions.

The only suggestion I would have would be to re-consider your options and consider detraining at East Glacier and staying there. There are a number of accommodations at East Glacier and I would think that one of them could accommodate your luggage. Perhaps the Mountain Pine or the Circle R. You could then take the full circle Red Bus tour from East Glacier to West Glacier then on the Sun Road and return to East Glacier. The accommodations would not be a scenic as Apgar unfortunately.

As I assume you know, West Glacier is not a staffed station and there is no checked baggage to and from there. East Glacier is a staffed station with checked baggage service.

Lyman
rail freak

Post by rail freak »

Well, the Village Inn had a cancellation, so I now will be staying three nights there. I talked to the manager & he said they could watch my bags, if needed. So, I'm set now & eagerly awaiting this trip to GNP!!!
Thanx

Return to “Lodging”