Glacier Photo Contest in Facebook

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

fmcdonald
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Glacier Photo Contest in Facebook

Post by fmcdonald »

Glacier Facebook Friends are being asked to upload Glacier "water" pictures. The winner's photo will be used as their profile plcture. There are lots of wonderful photos - I couldn't begin to pick just one.

http://www.facebook.com/GlacierNational ... rk?sk=wall
Jay w
Gender?: Male

Re: Glacier Photo Contest in Facebook

Post by Jay w »

I threw a photo up there. "Like it" if you like it.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

My photo is buried in the weeds by now, so here it is:

Like it? Like it....on Facebook.

Acutally, I couldn't find the rules, so I don't think the number of "likes" makes any difference.

Jay
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

I do "like"...if no other reason it has a "dead tree" incorporated in the picture :wink:

I'd go vote for you but I don't "do" Facebook...apparently I'm the only person in North America that isn't on Facebook according to my friends here in Whitefish.
Serious though, I really like your pics Jay. I wish I had just a wee bit of talent and knew how to use software. :(

pocketlint :wink:
Farmgirl
Donator
Donator

Post by Farmgirl »

Sorry Jay, my "like" went to the Bowman lake pic...it's werly good :arrow:
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Pocket,

The dead tree comment got a chuckle out of me. Facebook is simply linking to people and then following what they post. You can join without saying anything.....in fact, that's about what I do.

Farmgirl, you're dead to me. :D

Hell, I don't even know if my photo is in the contest of if "likes" count.

Jay
Farmgirl
Donator
Donator

Post by Farmgirl »

haha!!! Jay, didn't even see your photo---sorry, I have a short attention span and need instant gratification. Not only do I love Bowman Lake but it was on the first page :oops:

Some 450 photos were submitted....

and the winner....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 911&type=1
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor

Post by mattB »

Interesting selection of the "winning" photo's...? Not sure what their criteria was but I think I've seen a lot of better water photo's right here on this site! A couple of the "winning" photo's seemed a little bit too-enhanced for my tastes!.
the first-runner up was my favorite.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

mattB wrote:Interesting selection of the "winning" photo's...? Not sure what their criteria was but I think I've seen a lot of better water photo's right here on this site! A couple of the "winning" photo's seemed a little bit too-enhanced for my tastes!.
the first-runner up was my favorite.
I agree Matt. Some of the pics look like some moron on acid went wild with his Photoshop LOLOL!! :mrgreen:
That's the trouble with many of these so-called "contests". Who knows what the criteria were?
This reminds me of the Coke contest for "best National Park" I think it was.
Some obscure park in Minnesota "won". Yeah right, the "best" National Park is in Minnesota? Nothing against Minnesota but that's just dumb...as was that "contest". It's like Dancing With the Stars...another one of these phoney contests with no clear criteria for judging. those are "popularity contests...imho.
Americans eat this junk up though, so who am I to "judge" :wink:

pocketlink :wink:

PS

As an aside a Question for you real photographers out there:
Is it possible for knowledgable, professional photographers to tell if a digital photo has been doctored in any way from the original picture? I'd like to see a true contest consisting of undoctored pictures.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Yeah, I agree. The shot of St. Mary and the one of Goose Island made over-the-top photoshopping look subtle. I also liked the B&W, and then the ice shot.

As for telling if a shot has been Photoshopped, that's a serious question that comes up in forensics. People want to be able to verify that nothing has been done to a photo, but I don't know if this area of research has gone anywhere. I think they rely on the word of the person taking the photo (and if it looks pretty normal.) One thing to remember it that every photo has some "interpretation." Different films have different looks. Velvia was a very saturated film that really didn't look like reality, more like Disney. In comparison, color neg film has a very realistic look, but a wedding film (of old) like Vericolor was even more bland and realistic looking.

Even a shot straight out of a digital camera has an "interpretation" made by the camera. So my camera has a million settings to produce that basic jpg. I usually shoot a raw and jpg file, and you should see the options to convert the raw to jpg. It's simply staggering, and every time the camera does that for you, someone made those default settings. So even before you get into Photoshop, things aren't real. Of course Photoshop makes it very easy to really do some crazy things, as shown by a couple pictures in the contest.

Jay

Return to “Photography”