My 39th - 43rd Days Backpacking - This time back in the Bob

Even though Glacier is the focal point, the Flathead and the surrounding area presents boundless activities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

My 39th - 43rd Days Backpacking - This time back in the Bob

Post by Ear Mountain »

I really enjoy backpacking. Especially when I'm able to find solitude. The Bob Marshall Wilderness provides greater solitude than the backcountry sites in Glacier. I took 6 trips in the Bob this year and on only one did I encounter more than just one or two other folks. The shortest trip was 3 days and the longest 8 days.

Between trips in the Bob and in Glacier I've spent 43 days backpacking since late May. Add to that a whole bunch of day hikes and climbs and I can definitely say I had a good summer.

Here's the story of my latest adventure.

Wednesday through Sunday Jim and I went over Headquarters Pass, down to the North Fork of the Sun River and the up to the Red Shale Meadows. We went into winter and back three times.

We began our adventure last Wednesday on a beautiful fall day. The sun was shining and it was warm. A rainbow in front of the mountains, however, indicated we might encounter something a little different.

A rainbow predicts some wet weather on the Rocky Mountain Front in Montana.

It was a mix of snow and rain at the trail head at about 6,000 feet. We hiked up about 1,800 feet to Headquarters Pass where it was snowing lightly. A strong cold wind kept most of the snow in motion.

Jim, descends in the snow just after crossing Headquarters Pass at 7,743 feet.

Moving quickly across the pass, we descended about 1,700 feet in seven miles to the North Fork of the Sun River. The ground was bare and plenty of fall color still decorated the valley. We camped along the river and enjoyed a fairly warm evening under a full moon.

Gates Lake west of the North Fork of the Sun River in the Bob Marshall Wilderness.

Our second day featured a 7 mile walk up Red Shale Creek. That stream begins at the Continental Divide. We planned to camp 1,800 feet higher than our first night. Winter began to take over as we approached the head of the valley.

We did manage to find a nice relatively snow free camp spot. It was quite a bit colder but we were still warm in our good sleeping bags.

The following morning an elk bugled and his call echoed from the cliffs above camp. After trying to photograph the elk with only partial success, we decided to hike toward Sock Lake, about 500 feet higher on the divide.

Around noon, as we approached the lake, it began to snow. Little fluffy flakes at first. Then a little harder. Visibility began to deteriorate so we headed back to camp. The light snow continued through the afternoon and into the evening.

Overnight it warmed up and rained for several hours pounding a steady beat on the tent. But by 3 am it was quiet. We thought the rain had stopped and the snow of the previous day would most likely have melted.

I woke around four and looked into the vestibule of the tent. Hmmm, the roof was sagging! It did indeed stop raining! It was quiet in our tent because it was now covered in new snow. Snow, the heavy wet variety had replaced the rain. We shook the ceiling of the tent to get the snow to slide off and went back to sleep.

Daylight came slowly and the snow was still falling lightly. Our plan for the day was to hike back down Red Shale Creek. Leaving camp it was definitely winter.

I'm leaving camp on our fourth day. Inset: Our tent. Photos by Jim Utsler.

But once again, as we descended the valley, we returned to fall. The sky cleared and the sun felt very good.

Once more down by the North Fork of the Sun River. Evening light casts a warm glow across the marsh.[/size]

Our last night we featured a deep freeze. This made for a slow start in the morning. My frozen boots didn't feel very good on my feet. It took a couple of miles of hiking before my toes came back to life. As the trail miles slipped past we approached winter one more time. We had to traverse Headquarters Pass before reaching our trailhead. And once more we climbed into winter, only to descend back into fall.

I'm punching through the snow heading back up to Headquarters Pass.. Photo by Jim Utsler.

This trek was a challenge. But it provided a chance for me to get right with winter. I know the cold will come. I'm looking forward to the change of seasons. And I'm really looking forward to getting on skis again.

During our five days we saw only one other person on the trails. And we didn't see him until within 90 minutes of the trailhead. We saw that big bull elk below Sock Lake but no other large animals came into view.

We were not alone however. The trails were filled with tracks. Elk, moose, deer and bears, both grizzly and black, were on the move. We knew the bears were close at times by the freshness of the tracks and the scat. Still we saw no bears.

Grizzly Tracks and a boot print. The left track is a fore foot and the right track a hind foot. Superimposed on the hind foot is the track of my size 13 boot.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: My 39th - 43rd Days Backpacking - This time back in the

Post by tibber »

looks like quite the trip. Looks like you had to hike thur some pretty steep snow and in some cold temps.

Wonderful photos too! The one that jumped out at me was the one with the long red coat...it reminded me of the paintings Paul Calle does of the hunter-mountain man.

Growing up the BOB has always seemed so mysterious so thx for sharing just a little piece of it with us. We have a guy on HAZ that is planning a trip next summer: http://hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtopic.p ... all#p75469
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Thanks tibber.
The red coat is an LL Bean Gortex rain coat in the long version. I really like how it covers the gap between chest and rain pants. It has a two way zipper so will zip open from the bottom to allow sitting etc. And it has its own pocket into which it stuffs when not in use.

The Bob has a lot to offer. Miles and miles of trails that receive very little traffic. And huge trail-less areas where one can roam. No designated camping places and none of the camping amenities that designated sites in Glacier have. Not as many regulations as Glacier either. To really experience the Bob once needs to plan well, have plenty of time and be a fairly experienced wilderness traveler.

There is more horse use in the Bob and that bothers some folks but not me. One other aspect that some have problems with is that the geology of the valleys is different than in Glacier. Because of that there is more mud. Glacier has mud in a few valleys like the Belly River but in wet seasons you will definitely deal with mud in the Bob. But if you don't like mud then plan a trip off trail. :wink:
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Wow. Snow and deep snow. Cool report (pun intended.)

I'm so unprepared for winter. It was a cold motorcycle ride yesterday and today I just covered the air con unit and turned on the heat for the first time. (Current temp is 44 F) This weekend I'll be in high 80s, so that'll screw up my perception of winter arrival.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Jay w wrote:Wow. Snow and deep snow. Cool report (pun intended.)

I'm so unprepared for winter. It was a cold motorcycle ride yesterday and today I just covered the air con unit and turned on the heat for the first time. (Current temp is 44 F) This weekend I'll be in high 80s, so that'll screw up my perception of winter arrival.

Jay
I always feel some trepidation at the arrival of winter. It seems so cold. But this trip helped me through that stage I think. Real snow has a way of doing that. Heat's been on several weeks now. Even with days in the 50s and some 60s the nights on the plains are cold. 28 F last Saturday according to my recording thermometer. But I still have some outside painting to do so am looking forward to a few more warmer days.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Nice trip report Ralph! :) I like the looks of that area.
Your friend Jim's pack truly looks like a "house on his back" :shock:
I've been hunting and hiking a little in the edges of the Bob, but never done a backpack in there. Dunno why. Lazy I guess.
Reading your reports and looking at your site has convinced me I may want to try backpacking in there some time. I like to wander as I call it....especially in places where there aren't a lot of people.
I ain't going when the snow is flying though :)

pocketlint :wink:
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Jim's pack is an old Camp Trails frame pack that he has modified many times over. He likes making his own stuff. The pack isn't really any bigger than the one I used to use in the way back but the rain cover he made for it makes it look like a house. He carries a lot of "just in case" stuff that I personally would leave behind to save weight. But to each there own I guess.

Pete, you live in Montana man, the snow flies here in more months of the year than not. You just gotta go out and play in it or winter will drive you crazy. Ski, snowshoe, camp, climb, whatever. It helps you stay in shape. Just look at Jay and you'll know what I mean. :mrgreen:

Return to “Areas Surrounding Glacier”