One noteworthy pic: Moose

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Mike W.
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

One noteworthy pic: Moose

Post by Mike W. »

I didn't take very many pics in the 2+ days we were there in July, only about 400 or so. Seems like more were of the lodges than the rest of the park. Regardless, I think there is one worth sharing. A Moose cow and you can barely see the calf at the bottom. I may have been closer than I should have been, maybe 5 feet off pavement, though others were closer. Mom didn't look real happy. I made a point not to disturb her too much and turned off the flash. Still got the evil eye. :lol: Maybe I'll cull out a water pic or two later, but here this is for now.

Pocketlint

Re: One noteworthy pic: Moose

Post by Pocketlint »

Nice picture. :)
How far away were you?
A close encounter with a moose cow with a calf is just as risky as a bear encounter imo.
In '02 I video'd a bull from about 15-20 yards. First one I saw out here. I've was within 4 feet of a moose bull once back in October of '04. I could have poked his eye with my rifle at the time. And last September 11th.. maybe within 15 feet at Many Glacier. Bulls, so far, have not given me any problem...although I wouldn't want to push my luck too much. :wink:

Cows are bad news, especially when they have young with them. Personally, I'm far more worried about encountering cows than bulls....so far.

pocketlint :wink:
Mike W.
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: One noteworthy pic: Moose

Post by Mike W. »

In retrospect, perhaps closer than I should have been, although I wasn't alone and was just off the road. Others were closer, but I was perhaps 15-20 feet away. Lots between us really in terms of trees and brush. And I was at about 6X zoom and cropped the pic too, so I wasn't quite as close as it appears.

Ironically, a little later that evening there was a guy almost holding court, sounded like he had a lot of time at Glacier, had a big scope on the deck in back of Many Glacier showing people a bear in the distance and he was talking about how he had never had a bear problem, but had been charged by Moose a couple of times. Bulls, and said the secret was to find a tree and keep it between them until the Moose got tired of it and left.

Like I said, I was just off the road and turned off the flash, unlike some others. :roll:

Return to “Photography”