Trail Food - Your Own Bars

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Trail Food - Your Own Bars

Post by Heff936 »

We just received and taste-tested trail bars we got from www.youbars.com The cool part is that you get to pick every ingredient from a huge list of categories. Laura needs a lower glycemic index so she could choose accordingly. We both really liked them. We ordered the Medium size, which is fairly small, but will be fine for the backcountry. It's cool knowing you get your own recipe but don't have to go through the trouble of making your own. I think this will become a backpacking staple for us. Of course, I hope they kept track of what we each picked because I already can't recall half of the choices.
In Vino Veritas, In Cerevisia Felicitas
In Wine Truth, In Beer Happiness
paul
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Trail Food - Your Own Bars

Post by paul »

Hey Tim,

Did you get them yet? How do they taste?

Paul
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

Hi Paul:

They are quite good. If you go the website you'll see that you have many options. I just e-mailed you the information on the ingredients I chose and the nutritional info. Laura chose some different ingredients to keep the glycemic index lower ( less sugars). We both prefer mine from a taste standpoint, but her's is not bad either. I'd say by bar tastes at least as good as any commercial bar I've ever bought.

They also make reportedly trail mixes, cereals to order, but I didn't see that on the website. It's a pretty cool site that we'll be using in the future. It's going to be very interesting year in Glacier, to say the least.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Thanks Tim,

I just checked out the website they have some pretty good options. This might be good for the lunch meals of my trip or just for an energy boost when needed.

-Paul
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

This is really cool for someone like me who can't eat nuts. Nearly every commercial energy bar contains peanuts, almonds, or some other nut that I have to avoid. Having an anaphylaxis reaction while out on some trail could be a killer, literally!

Thanks, Tim!
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

Ref: I forgot that you had a nut allergy so this should be a good way to get around that. I hope they work for you. We are getting excited about the trip. I've been having some hip pain so it's been tough to get in good shape, but I'll get around okay. The park is going to be very interesting this year.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

Heff936 wrote:Ref: I forgot that you had a nut allergy so this should be a good way to get around that. I hope they work for you. We are getting excited about the trip. I've been having some hip pain so it's been tough to get in good shape, but I'll get around okay. The park is going to be very interesting this year.
Tim -- Just sent you a PM.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”