A Hint of Light

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

RyanDyar
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

A Hint of Light

Post by RyanDyar »

Nothing groundbreaking here... Just a stormy summer sunrise from last August. I had just gotten back into the Glacier area from Portland at 3am, so I decided to hit the Logan Pass area for it's easy access to great compositions. I got lucky with the light as it shot through a small cloud break and cast a sliver of red onto Reynolds. These dark and stormy scenes are my favorite to photograph. Hope you you all like it. Here's to a late but hopefully bountiful summer wildflower season!

Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Re: A Hint of Light

Post by Hockey Ref »

Very nice! Do you have the exposure information?
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
RyanDyar

Post by RyanDyar »

Hockey Ref wrote:Very nice! Do you have the exposure information?
Sure do! This was a Canon 1ds3 and 16-35L II. Two exposures (2.5sec and 0.8sec) at f16, iso250 were blended together in photoshop for dynamic range, plus a third faster exposure at iso1600 to stop the wind blown flowers. Blend work was done by hand. Used a couple luminosty-mask selections on a dodge/burn layer to fix any haloing introduced by the exposure blending. A little more dodging was done to accentuate the soft atmosphere and then some texture increases and decreases in select parts of the image. Some selective saturation and color correction as well.

Hope that wasn't too much info :?
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

RyanDyar wrote:
Sure do! This was a Canon 1ds3 and 16-35L II. Two exposures (2.5sec and 0.8sec) at f16, iso250 were blended together in photoshop for dynamic range, plus a third faster exposure at iso1600 to stop the wind blown flowers. Blend work was done by hand. Used a couple luminosty-mask selections on a dodge/burn layer to fix any haloing introduced by the exposure blending. A little more dodging was done to accentuate the soft atmosphere and then some texture increases and decreases in select parts of the image. Some selective saturation and color correction as well.

That's a lot more PhotoShop than I know how to do!
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
RyanDyar

Post by RyanDyar »

Hockey Ref wrote:
RyanDyar wrote:

That's a lot more PhotoShop than I know how to do!
It' all fairly simple once you get the hang of it. Shoot me a message if you ever want some pointers! That's pretty much how I learned.
ND

Post by ND »

Beautiful work! I really like the light on the clouds in the upper left all the way to the flank of Reynolds. Did you look over your shoulder a couple of times checking for bears? :)
RyanDyar

Post by RyanDyar »

ND wrote:Beautiful work! I really like the light on the clouds in the upper left all the way to the flank of Reynolds. Did you look over your shoulder a couple of times checking for bears? :)
Thanks man! I was absolutely floored by the subtle yet brilliant light on this morning. And I always keep my head on a swivel for bears, but I don't worry much about them in the Logan Pass area. The bluff charge I had a few years back in the Two Med area really made me all the more cautious.
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

Wonderful photo! Your photoshopping is more advanced than mine (I only have an ancient version of Elements and just do basic things). However, I can really appreciate what you've done with this photo. :D
The mountains are calling and I must go.

Return to “Photography”