September 17th near Glacier

Even though Glacier is the focal point, the Flathead and the surrounding area presents boundless activities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Talusman
Donator
Donator

September 17th near Glacier

Post by Talusman »

I have to fly to Kallispel on Friday, September 17th to pick up my car and then drive back to Oklahoma on the 18th and 19th. What would you do on the 17th if you found youself in this situation? I will arrive in Whitefish to pick up my car around 2:00.
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: September 17th near Glacier

Post by toddnick »

If I found myself in that situation, I'd spend the 17th figuring out how to change my plans so that I have at least a week in the Park!!!!!!!

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

You might want to drive up to Polebridge along the North Fork....although maybe not all the way depending on time.
Maybe include the Camas Road on the way back...time it for "dark+-30min to an hour". Better animal movement att imo.
Nice time of year for a ride up there. Maybe see those elk that hang out just South of Polebridge on that private land...the parcel with miles of very expensive wood rail fence. I saw a VERY nice whitetail buck on that land around August 1st. He'll be a MONSTER buck by Sept 17th. He'd be a great sight if you got lucky. There's nice animals to be spotted in that area. They move back and forth across the river to and from the park.

And after dinner maybe ride up Big Mountain Rd to the ski resort. Great views of the Flathead from up there if the weather is nice....even if it's dark.

pocketlint :wink:
Talusman
Donator
Donator

Post by Talusman »

That might be ironically appropriate because the reason I have to pick up my car in Whitefish is that's where it's being repaired after I nailed a five-point buck while returning from Alaska. I'm usually in or around Glacier in July and August. It'l be interesting to be in that area in September.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Talusman wrote:That might be ironically appropriate because the reason I have to pick up my car in Whitefish is that's where it's being repaired after I nailed a five-point buck while returning from Alaska. I'm usually in or around Glacier in July and August. It'l be interesting to be in that area in September.
That's a bummer about hitting the deer. It's a common problem around here as well. Body shops get a lot of that sort of damage.

I hit one with my trailer couple years ago coming up through the Swan on winter morning. My trailer is looked kinda cattywhompus ever since then.

September is usally pretty nice though. Hopefully it will be for you too. The North Fork and Camas roads should be a nice drive in the limited time you have. I'd still try it if I were you.

pocketlint
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by mattB »

I think Pocketlint's suggestion of a drive up to Polebridge is excellent! If you're at Whitefish around 2PM, that should give you plenty of time to drive up to the Northfork, and maybe even time for a short hike from Bowman, or possibly Huckleberry Mtn Lookout, and still get back to Whitefish at a reasonable time!! Or if the weather's not great, or you don't have time, just a coffee and bearclaw at the Merc would be good!

Actually though, Toddnick's idea is probably the best one!! :-)

Return to “Areas Surrounding Glacier”