Trip Review Sept 16 - 22 (long)

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

KristinMN
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Trip Review Sept 16 - 22 (long)

Post by KristinMN »

Hi - Our Trip Review

One week in GNP (Sept 16 - 22). First two nights on the E side at Jacobson's Cottages. Second 2 nights in the Many Glacier area at Swiftcurrant Motor Inn. Third two nights on the W side at the Village Inn in Apgar. Only one and a half day of good weather, the rest was overcast with rain and snow showers :(

I just want to point out that this was our first trip to GNP and thanks to all on the message board, I've picked out some of the easy hikes for us to try. I also have sore arms and hands from clapping so as not to surprise any animals as I was a little scared...lol.

After getting our rental car from Alamo (nice, quick service) at the Kalispell airport we picked up a few groceries and decided to head straight to Going To The Sun Road...good decision because it was closing the next day (earlier than expected) because of the weather and construction. The drive was beautiful. It was snowing at Logan Pass and I wasn't dressed for it just wearing the clothes I got off the plane with...oh well. We still got out and took many amazing pictures. The clouds really add a lot, but I would prefer a clear day. We didn't see any critters that day, but we also didn't know how to spot them yet either.

The next day we checked out the Two Medicine area. Running Eagle Falls, Appistoki Falls, Scenic Point (wow, we just decided to venture onto this one without looking at what kind of hike it was, as it gained over 2300 feet...wow) saw a moose track up there too. We also did Paradise Point off of Two Medicine Lake, we saw moose tracks and there was some kind of a grouse in the middle of our trail, it wasn't afraid of us until we started to walk around it, it just move to the side of the trail. It was there where we ran into some nice people from the area that spotted mountain goats and bighorn sheep...after talking with them we became able to spot animals easier.

Jacobson's Cottages were Very clean, just like I read about. Suzann at the office was just as nice as could be. We really liked it there and recommend it. Plenty of room for us as the sink counter/mirror was not in the bathroom but in the bedroom part. I've read a lot of good reviews of Serrano's restaurant, Suzann also recommended it and I couldn't wait to eat there. We arrived just in time, there was one table available and after that the line started. This was late in the season and the place still packed in the people. I now understand why. We both started off with a margarita, it was the best one I've ever had! The servers were very kind, they offered us habanero paste with our chips and salsa since we've asked for our dishes to be prepared "hot and spicy". Wow, the food was delicious and just as we ordered it...we just had to come back the next day to sweat some more. Also, it was our 1st year anniversary, so they gave us a couple free margaritas! I highly recommend this place, and if you like your food hot like we do, ask for the Pollo Picado "hot". We had breakfast at the Whistelstop, delicious huckelberry stuffed french toast...got there just in time as this was their last day for the season.

Enroute to Many Glacier we toured the east side of the St. Mary area. Baring Falls, St. Mary Falls, Sun Rift Gorge, and the Sun Point nature trail are all worth visiting. We stopped at the Park Cafe for pie...it was very good (my husband thought the slices would have been bigger because of the rave reviews...lol), I had the banana cream and he had the pecan.

Arriving at the Many Glacier area we spotted a grizzly sow and one cub about 2 miles or so east of Swiftcurrant lake on the side of a mountain. They were over 1000 yards away, amazing, my first bear(s)! After watching them for a while threw the binoculars we drive on about a mile to see more cars stopped on the side of the road as there is a black bear and two cubs eating on the hillside right near Many Glacier Lodge only 200 yards away from the road. This was the place to be!

We then check into our room at the Swiftcurrant Motor Inn; small room, one double and one twin bed. The shower head was very low, no TV, but it had the basics and was in a very good location. We decide to head down the Swiftcurrant Pass trail to Fishercap lake, we could walk to the trail head right from our room (I learned from someone on the message board that there were regular moose sightings here), my husband is a big 'moose' fan. We're about 5 minutes down the trail when he spots a moose. It crossed our trail, then another appeared as we were still walking, it ran across too, less than 50 yards away! It was a cow moose and her calf, we watched them as they entered the lake and were eating ...what a sight that was! A deer appeared at the lake and the little moose calf ran after it and scared it off...lol. After watching them for a long time, we drive to Many Glacier Lodge, the black bears were still on the hillside and we could see them from the deck at the lodge. We both decided that we would stay at the Many Glacier Lodge because of the huge, gorgeous lobby and fireplace with the amazing views (also beer is cheap at the convenience store). We spotted mountain goats there as well.

The next day we did the Many Glacier boat tour that took us across Swiftcurrant lake, a short hike to Lake Josephine, onto another boat to the hike to Grinnell lake led by a ranger. I really liked this one! I felt much better being in a big group of people. My husband spotted a grizzly from the boat with his binoculars, but it soon went into thick brush where it couldn't be seen by anyone else. Grinnell lake was very pretty and we spotted a bear track, old bear scat, more mountain goats and learned a lot from the ranger.

When we drove out of the Many Glacier Lodge parking lot, we noticed the black bears were still in the same area as we drove to our hotel for another ranger led hike to Red Rock Falls. Our ranger was sick, but he was very informative and led us to Fishercap lake before going back to his cabin to sleep. It was just fine as we had about 10 people in our group and the falls were pretty. We had dinner at the Swiftcurrant Motor Inn Restaurant, fabulous pizza! After that we decided to drive the road past Many Glacier Lodge to see if we could spot anything again. Sure enough, a grizzly...no cub this time. This was an amazing place!

The next morning we wanted to check out Fishercap lake again. We heard that a bull moose has been spotted there in the mornings...as we walk to the parking lot we see a couple with a huge telescope. (There are also deer in the motel area amongst many other little critters.) They've spotted two grizzly bears on the side of the mountain behind our motel and let us take a peek...amazing! They told us that the grizzlies looked to be two yung bears that have only been on there own for about a year...but, they looked huge to me! As we head to the lake we see many "fresh" signs of moose...and I'm getting nervous. Down by the lake we're told that we just missed the bull moose. Good for me as I was paranoid about the bull (husband was bummed) and also thinking the grizzlies maybe getting thirsty and heading for the lake. So we're off to West Glacier.

It was a long drive from the Many Glacier area to West Glacier due to the Logan Pass area road being closed. Along the reservoir, I spot some bear tracks, cool, but no bear. We saw lots of open range cattle either just on the side of the road or in the middle of it...they're not in any kind of a hurry to get out of our way. We ran into a guy that said he saw a grizzly and two cubs near the reservoir area and then 7 cattle got together to run AT the bears ...the grizzlies were chased off by the cattle...that would have been a sight to see!

We finally make it to the Village Inn at Apgar. Every room overlooks Lake McDonald which was nice...again, I wish it wasn't raining but, at least we came prepared. The room here was even smaller yet, we couldn't believe it...lol. Just one double bed this time, still no TV, but we had the basics, the shower was just right and we had a nice view. The W sideof the park is lower in altitude than the Many Glacier area and the mountain sides were all treed so there were no mountain goats or sheep to watch for.

I had made reservations for a Lake McDonald boat ride so we left early to check out the Lake McDonald lodge first before we depart. It was smaller that I thought it would be, we liked the Many Glacier Lodge lobby and area much better. The boat ride was OK, very informative and we did see a bald eagle.

Had dinner at the West Glacier restaurant, I didn't care for it but thought the breakfast might be better. At breakfast, the blueberry pancake was good (and huge) but the coffee and sausage weren't good at all. Oh well...off to hike.

We headed to the Trail of the Cedars, then to Avalanche lake...loved it! We wanted to do the ranger led Highline hike after that but, due to the 3 inches of snow on the road, it was closed about 2 - 3 miles before Logan's Pass. On the way back down, we took more beautiful pictures and spotted about 4 piles of bear scat on the side of the road. We got out at one of them, when my husband noticed it was "fresh" I quickly jumped back into the car again. We had time for one more small hike before dinner so we did the Johns Lake loop, the 2nd half of that one is along McDonald creek which was pretty.

Our last day was short as our flight was at noon. I wanted my picture taken by the GNP entrance sign so we parked and walked accross the street, only to scare a deer that was right there which in turn scared us until we found out it was only a deer. Pretty thing and it didn't run far.

To sum up - This is a beautiful place! People are very friendly. We loved the Many Glacier area the BEST and we will stay at the Many Glacier Lodge next time, not in September though. We saw 9 bears (3 black, 6 grizzly), two moose, mountain goats, big horn sheep, deer, a bald eagle, many other birds and little critters.

Thanks for reading!! :)
Rose
Donator
Donator

Post by Rose »

Kristin... I loved reading your trip report. My only regret is that I wasn't there with you. It's pretty amazing to remember my own feelings the first time I visited Glacier. Your report just makes me want to be there even more now and our next visit is 11 months away from today.

Thanks for posting and I am so glad you had a wonderful trip.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Hockey Ref »

Kristin --

Glad you had a good time despite the weather. Many Glacier is indeed a great place to be for spotting wildlife. I saw eight grizzlies in a signle day around Many Glacier back in early August.

Here' another look at those moose at Fishercap Lake...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v700/ ... =imgAnch25

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v700/ ... d112e3.jpg
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
KristinMN

Post by KristinMN »

Thanks for the responces and pictures of the moose (my husband is still bummed that he missed the bull). I'll hopefully be able to post some pictures soon as well.

:D
Kathy
Donator
Donator

Very fun trip report!

Post by Kathy »

Sounds like you had a GREAT trip!!! AND....it also sounds like you're a "Glacier Addict" like the rest of us?? :D Goin' back next year? :D Like Rose said - it's especially fun to read a first timers trip report....it does indeed remind ya of the first time ya discovered that incredibly special and magical place called Glacier!

Thanks for the report!
Ed35
Donator
Donator

Great Report!

Post by Ed35 »

:D Thanks for the taking the time to write such a detailed report. For those back east it brings back great memories. Wish we could get more posted here!
GoDucks

Now, that was a great read!

Post by GoDucks »

I love it when people take the time to give us their full experience the way you did. One of the things that is really noticeable, and which the the numerous mainstays of this site, such as Kathy, HockeyRef, Judy, squilax, JulyGuy, et al, and especially Founding Father Dave Parker really ought to take pride in, is how clearly your account, and most other detailed accounts show that the most valuable tool in planning a visit to Glacier is none other than This Site! It certainly was for us this summer and I love seeing how others' trips also seem to be shaped by the information they have gathered from posters on this site. Thank yous to everyone!
July Guy
Donator
Donator

Post by July Guy »

Aw geez, what a nice thing to say. I like to think of myself as an unpaid travel agent. :D But seriously, as many have stated, glacier is really beyond words and once you feel it is "home" you have reached a point of no return. We've always kept a detailed journal of almost every day spent in the park and look forward to helping when we can (especially newbies). By the same token, although i've been to the park countless times, i've gathered tons of great information from this site. I'm always impressed by the depth of knowlege that is out there, and the generosity with which people share it. Three cheers for the site! (now....how am i going to make it through the winter?)
Kathy
Donator
Donator

Yeah, thanks, Ducks!

Post by Kathy »

I echo July Guy. I think anyone (at least it's true for me) who has experienced the magic that is Glacier, wants to.....almost needs to share it with others - it becomes "home" to your heart. :D And it's so fun to get excited with, excited for, and share the excitement with others who understand. A HUGE thanks to Dave Parker for setting up this forum to connect with others who "understand."

As for how to make it through the winter.....hmmmm.....well.....we have this site - - - AND- - - - how 'bout a trip to Glacier to snowshoe?!?! :D
Stevo

Re: Yeah, thanks, Ducks!

Post by Stevo »

Kathy wrote:
As for how to make it through the winter.....hmmmm.....well.....we have this site - - - AND- - - - how 'bout a trip to Glacier to snowshoe?!?! :D
I'd be game, considering that our past couple of winters here have been dry/mild.
senja7

How many nights in each section of the park

Post by senja7 »

Loved reading all the posts especially Kristen's. It's given us many ideas for our trip.

We're planning a trip to Glacier next July and read many who recommend staying at Many more nights or all. Please tell me if this was a first trip how many nights would you stay in each location. We're flying I think into Kalispell. We will hike each day about 4-6 miles or so if that helps with my question. Also we'll be there between 8 - 10 nights. Has anyone gone white water rafting while at Glacier?

Thanks.
July Guy
Donator
Donator

Post by July Guy »

Senja7

If you are going to be in the park 8-10 days, you could easily experience the west side and the many glacier area. If you are day hikers, you will really get the most bang for the buck in many glacier.

Are you campers or staying in lodges etc? If you are campers, you should consider a couple nights in the two medicine area- lots of good hiking there. If hiking is your big thing, try making a list of the hikes you really want to do, then let the locations fall around that. We are day hikers, and usually plan our trips that way (with a top ten list of hikes for example).

We have rafted a few times there. There is glacierraftco and a couple other good companies. Your experience will depend on how high/fast the river is running during your stay. If you do a lot of white water rafting you could be let down....if you have never done it, you could be thrilled- it all depends on your background.

You will find answers to almost any questions you can think of here, so keep them coming.
senja7

Post by senja7 »

July Guy,
Thanks for responding. We are just day hikers and are not going to be camping. We would like nice scenery and any location where there are nice trails and places where others have enjoyed their hikes. With that information, how many nights would you suggest in Many and has anyone been to Canada's Waterton Lakes National Park. Would you include that also. If we fly into Kalispell how would you link the lodges as you travel to cover the park?

As far as white water rafting. I have only done a Class 2 in Cody WY last summer so I'm not going to be disappointed if it's not much higher than that.

Thanks everyone!
dorf

Post by dorf »

Here's what I'd do if i was looking for shorter dayhikes and staying in the lodges...

Get a room in the small motor inn at Apgar for your first night. You're probably going to be a little tired which is why you should get settled then hike up to Avalanche Lake. Can't remember the mileage but it can't be much more than 4 miles and about 500' elevation gain. That will give you a taste. Also in the area is Sacred Dancing Cascade and McDonald Falls---both basically right off the GTTSR. spend a relaxing night in Apgar at the beach on Lake McDonald.

Day two head on up the GTTSR to logan Pass and hike up to the hidden Lake overlook. Another 500' climb and a chance to mingle with goats and sheep up close and personal. The view isn't bad up there, either. While you're at the pass, hike north on the highline for a bit for some more great views.

While over on the west side, this would be a good time to consider heading up to the Northern Lights in Polebridge for dinner and snacks from the bakery that night. Get enough to last you a few days. Trust me on this. If you have time, make the drive over to Bowman Lake. you'll be driving a rental car so don't worry about the rough road. :twisted:

Day 3,4,5 and 6 at Many Glacier Hotel or Swiftcurrent Motor Inn. Tons of hikes up there, but to get to the good stuff you'll have to be willing to exceed your 6 mile plan. You'll find tons of info on these alternatives on this board. There are also ranger-led hikes if you're a little squeemish about running into large predators

Day 7 and 8 at East Glacier which gives you access to Two Med. Glacier Park Lodge is OK, but not worth the price of a room IMO. Can't tell you about other alternatives down there.

And don't forget to spend a day on the GTTSR. Lots of places within a couple of minutes of the road to explore.

Some pics...

http://www.dorfworld.net/glacier_2004/galleries.html

http://www.dorfworld.net/backcountry/gn ... eries.html
So many mountains, so little time.
GoDucks

Waterton

Post by GoDucks »

Some may disagree, but, based on our experience last July, I would suggest that you only give Waterton a day trip, unless you are set on one of the all day hikes, as we were. We did the Intl Peace Park Hike & boat ride with an American Ranger and a Canadian Ranger and, while it was fun, it was not nearly as spectacular as our GNP hikes - and even that one could be done as a day trip from many or St. Mary.
The Crypt Lake hike, which we did not do, is supposed to be spectacular (best day hike in all of Canada according to some books), but, like us you will be there in July & that one is a lot of sun exposure to do in July unless you are VERY serious hikers - the folks we saw coming in off that trail looked half dead. Our disappointment in Waterton had to do with the low quality of the rooms for about $100 and lack of air conditionining - it was over 100 degrees for our two days there and very uncomfortable. Unless you wanted to spend a lot of money, the food options were also not so great - no great deals like The Park Cafe or Serranos in Waterton. The Townsite Campground is quite nice, but a real hassle to get checked into in July. I would say to do a day trip through Waterton Townsite and give Many &/or Two Medicine any extra time you can.

Return to “Trip Reports”