Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Glacier Guides Lodge opens July 1, 2010

Post by Selkie »

This is a new facility in West Glacier, opposite the Amtrak Station. It is LEED consistent. It is also pricey, at $160.50 per room, but may be a solution for some. Opening date is scheduled for ca. July 1, 2010.

http://www.glacierguides.com/za/GG?PAGE ... CAT=CHALET
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Glacier Guides Lodge opens July 1, 2010

Post by llholmes1948 »

Thanks for pointing this place out. It sounds like this place is set back from the highway. I wonder if this located further up the road that runs through the Glacier Highland or if it has a separate driveway.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

It appears that there are some permit issues with this facility being raised by the Flathead County Health Department:

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/loca ... 03286.html
pereza
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by pereza »

Lyman
I want to thank you for putting some doubt in people's minds about this place with that article.I think that helped keep it from being fully booked. I started looking for a way to spend about five days on the west side after 2 days at GPL for the jammer reunion. Of course, I started looking about mid-August.

I called Glacier Guides who said they would be open. I took a chance & booked our open days there. After one night I would have canceled the nights I had booked at Apgar Cabins if there was any possible way.

Glacier Guides is without question the best lodging I have ever seen anywhere near this part of the park. It's brand new. It has large, deep bathtubs with plenty of hot water & bathrooms you can actually move around in.

Satellite tv, air conditioning & wifi. These last three items may seem like unnecessary luxuries considering the setting but compare the thought & effort to a nearby establishment that charges about the same amount but provides a metal shower that at most is about 25" square with unbelievably low water pressure.The water literally dribbles out of the shower head. Seriously, at Apgar Village cabins I dropped the soap & had to step out of the shower to pick it up. Of course it's the location that allows these people to get away with this. They have a completely captive audience. GPI is just as bad. The Lake McDonald cabins used to be fairly nice before they started subdividing them. They're now a fraction of their original size. I can pretty much deal with the living space & beds in these old hotels because you don't spend much time sitting around but those bathrooms & showers are a disgrace.

Look what they've done with the red buses. They look the same, retain their historical character yet have up to date
safety features.

Josh, the manager of Glacier Guides is extremely hospitable & knowledgeable of the area. The intent is for this place to be a jumping off point for their guided backpacking trips. Once that gets rolling I'm sure vacancies at this place will be pretty much nonexistent.
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

I checked this place out while waiting for Belton Chalet to open for dinner a few days ago. It looks new and I spent some time talking to one of the employees (he was a hard core hiker with lots of good information). This place looks nice and is far enough away from the road (as opposed to Belton Cabins/restaurant) that it is peaceful as well. I would stay here......
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

A further update from the Daily InterLake about the permit issues regarding this facility:

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/loca ... 002e0.html
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

And a further update in today's Daily Interlake indicating that the lodge has satisfied some requirements:

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/loca ... 002e0.html

Return to “Lodging”