Vegetarian options in the park

Have you had a good, bad or indifferent experience at a restaurant in the Glacier area? Let us know about it right here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

anonwums
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Vegetarian options in the park

Post by anonwums »

Hi all,

I'm going to be in Glacier in mid-August for some hiking and backpacking with my girlfriend. While we're going to be eating camp food most of the time, we're planning one nice dinner in the park to celebrate finishing backpacking. We were hoping for finding a restaurant with good food and reasonably priced (entrees < $30) in the West Glacier area that offers a decent selection of vegetarian food for her. From looking at the menus of places such as the Belton Chalet, it seems that a lot of those places are very meat heavy, which is good for me, but not so much for her. She's is a true vegetarian which means she drinks milk and eats eggs, but no fish.

Thanks.
Last edited by anonwums on Sat May 01, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
july gal
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Vegetarian options in the park

Post by july gal »

HI!

You're correct in finding most places to be meat heavy... The Lake McDonald lodge (at least last year) had a polenta w/ cream sauce entree that was very good and if I remember, many places had pasta options, although you may have to ask them to leave chicken off. I've found that the lodges are pretty flexible as far as making something work for dietary restrictions. I often substitute double veggies instead of a starch, get sauce on the side, etc. So while there won't be a lot of variety, almost any of the lodges should be able to accommodate. If she's a 'flexitarian' (ie, she east fish) she'll be in trout heaven. Good luck.
In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.” — Margaret Atwood
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

If you want to travel that far, I would expect that some restaurants in the Whitefish area would have some good vegetarian selections.

Lyman
gramma

Post by gramma »

I did a little investigating for an answer to your question about Vegetarian options in the West Glacier area. The West Glacier Restaurant, which is located right in West Glacier has a variety of vegetarian choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Price wise the veggie stacker is around $8.99, and probably the most expensive choice of the variety of breakfasts they offer. Dinners would be about $12-16 each. All their food is delicious, the staff friendly and helpful, and the restaurant squeaky clean. I spoke to Lisa, the manager and she said if you wish, she will send you a menu. Contact her at lisap@westglacier.com or call for her at the restaurant # 406-888-5359. Although she is there working now, the restaurant reopens on May 26th. It is my favorite place to eat.
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

Isn't PIE an option ? he he :arrow: :arrow:
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark"
(Eclipse by Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon)
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

I just called one of my bosses :wink:
She is a vegetarian. I asked her to call me if she knows of any place here in Whitefish or C Falls that serves good vegetarian food.
I'll post her response when I can.

pocketlint

Pie? Plenty of huckleberry pie around this area :arrow:
anonwums

Post by anonwums »

Thanks for all the info. You guys are awesome.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

i would think you could get a veg meal a just about anywhere on the eastside except the cattle baron.
fmcdonald
Gender?: Female

Post by fmcdonald »

The Park Cafe on the east side of the park has a great selection of vegetarian dishes as well as great pies. My daughter is vegetarian and liked it so much that we ended up eating there three times when we were in the park last summer. I wouldn't classify it as "fancy" but the food is delicious.
lwalmer
Gender?: Female

Post by lwalmer »

Not too many responses here. Wondering if I can "re-ask" this question. We'll be staying outside of Whitefish, so looking for vegetarian options in the park or on the way to/thru Whitefish.

Also, wondering if there happen to be any gluten-free places?

Thanks!
Linda
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

lwalmer wrote:Not too many responses here. Wondering if I can "re-ask" this question. We'll be staying outside of Whitefish, so looking for vegetarian options in the park or on the way to/thru Whitefish.

Also, wondering if there happen to be any gluten-free places?

Thanks!
Linda
Hey Linda:

Check this link out for "The Green Tea House" I walk past this place all the time. Seems popular here. Advertises the "right stuff" for you...vegetarian and gluten free. It's right in the heart of Whitefish if you're going to visit coming or going.

http://www.happycow.net/north_america/u ... whitefish/

In that ad is one for the 3rd Street Market which is in same area. I buy stuff there occasionally. That have all sorts of organic stuff. I get yogurt there.
There's more in Kalispell as well if you go there.

pocketlint :wink:

Return to “Restaurant Reviews and Recomendations”