Many Glacier Hotel - Partial Closure 2011 and 2012

General Lodging information.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

distressbark
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Many Glacier Hotel - Partial Closure 2011 and 2012

Post by distressbark »

i think i'll get 6 Animal Packs, meaning 180 beers! hopefully they'll still sell 12 packs in St. Mary so i replenish supplies as they diminish.
Last edited by distressbark on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- anders

"And what do the birds say? All there is to say about a massacre, things like Poo-tee-weet?"
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
ManyGlacierSean

Post by ManyGlacierSean »

Maybe we could get somebody to sherpa a small cooler and ice-cold Grizz cans out to Poia Lake for the Ptarmigan Tunnel-Yellow-Sherburne Peak-Poia overnighter! Also, Tyler and I have been planning some VERY interesting things for the Frenchies' old room, if everything goes according to plan that is. I think I am going to try to make a push to get onto the opening crew for GPI, so as to clinch this bellman dormroom coup.
He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary - Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

ManyGlacierSean wrote: And yes Lyman, this will pose significant problems for the east side of Glacier in terms of lodging. I would assume that Swiftcurrent, St. Mary, Duck Lake Lodge, Rising Sun, East Glacier, etc. will be VERY busy places during renovation. If you ever wanted to start a bed and breakfast or small motel or hotel on the eastern side of Glacier, 2011 would be a great time to do so!
One other aspect is that this project will likely bring an influx of construction workers and where will they be staying? I suspect the Park Service will not be encouraging them to stay in the park so that will cause additional pressure on the lodging places and campgrounds outside the park. (I assume many construction workers will bring their own campers, etc.) Not sure just how many construction workers will be needed. Might be a good time for the Tribe to re-open the Chewing Blackbones campground if it hasn't been re-opened (There seemed to be some uncertainly about that last summer.)

Maybe I need to make my 2011 reservations for Cut Bank, Shelby or Valier soon. :shock:

Slowhiker, maybe you can rent tent spaces in your yard?

Lyman
ManyGlacierSean

Post by ManyGlacierSean »

Chewing Blackbones was definitely open last season and as far as I know will be open from now on.

As far as where the workers will stay, I do not know. Perhaps the 100 or so closed rooms might be repaired AND occupied by said workers? As not all rooms can be worked on at once, maybe the workers will be rotating rooms to work in/live in. Another possibility would be that trailers would be brought in and set up in what will then be a large, underused parking lot.

As I said before, my dad is a sub-contractor, so I do know that this will be a prevailing wage job, as all federal and most state funded jobs are. I would go back to construction work for what is almost $30/hr. (last I checked) for another summer at Many... and this time I might even get a room with a balcony! Make over $1000 a week, live in Many Glacier and STILL get to hike/climb on off days? Where do I sign up?
He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary - Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
slowhiker
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by slowhiker »

llholmes1948 wrote: Slowhiker, maybe you can rent tent spaces in your yard?

Lyman

I am sure my landlord wouldn't mind if I had a little side business, but I am sure no one wants to deal with my crazy neighbor. Not even me :D
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

slowhiker wrote:
llholmes1948 wrote: Slowhiker, maybe you can rent tent spaces in your yard?

Lyman

I am sure my landlord wouldn't mind if I had a little side business, but I am sure no one wants to deal with my crazy neighbor. Not even me :D
Slowhiker,

Maybe you just need to try a different approach with your neighbor. Trying to analyze this from afar I think his or her problem is that they haven't been getting to the Park often enough. Get your neighbor out on the trail to Avalanche Lake, Hidden Lake, Iceberg Lake or the Highline trail and they will probably mellow right out.

Heck, after that they probably will insist on having the Chat party at their place next year.

Lyman
slowhiker
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by slowhiker »

To be honest, Lyman, I don't want to be spending that much time with her. The temptation to push her over the edge that my mother was always warning me not to get to close to would be too great.

ps How is that for a second sentence? Shoulda majored in English :)
Jen

Post by Jen »

slowhiker wrote:To be honest, Lyman, I don't want to be spending that much time with her. The temptation to push her over the edge that my mother was always warning me not to get to close to would be too great.

:arrow:
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

slowhiker wrote:To be honest, Lyman, I don't want to be spending that much time with her. The temptation to push her over the edge that my mother was always warning me not to get to close to would be too great.

That is indeed a wonderful sentence and I have read it several times.

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

The Park Service has announced the awarding of the contract for rehabilitation of Many Glacier Hotel:

http://www.nps.gov/glac/parknews/news10-12.htm

Return to “Lodging”