Closing down

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Closing down

Post by Jay w »

I'm kicking around the idea of a fall trip in the next couple of weeks, so I looked around for some closing dates. I saw a closing date of Sep 7th for Swiftcurrent and Two Med campstores, which makes food and showers a little more interesting. Have these closed? Also, I see that the MG campground has been filling during the past week, so it seems strange for the Swiftcurrent restaurant and campstore to close (I assume they're connected, but you know what happens when you assume).

Can't a guy get a burger and a beer around here,

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Closing down

Post by llholmes1948 »

According to the Park Service, press release, Swiftcurrent Motor Inn (and I presume the restaurant as well) should have closed on Sept. 12 and the campstore will close on Sept. 20. You should be able to get a beer and meals (for those who don't consider beer to be a meal) at Many Glacier Hotel as long as it is open.

http://www.nps.gov/glac/parknews/news09-60.htm

A call to GPI should confirm these closing dates as well as the hours these places are open. In the off season the campstores tend to close early as my daughter and I noticed when we were there around June 10th a few years ago. Don't expect to finish a hike at 7:30 P.M. and stop at the campstore to buy some gatorade!

I have no idea what the closing dates are for some of the outside-the-Park places such as the Firehouse restaurant in Babb (possibly open all year if it survived the summer), the Babb Press, Two Sisters, Park Cafe, Johnson's Cafe, Cattle Baron, etc. or the places in East Glacier (except for the Two Medicine Grill which is open all year). Maybe someone can fill us in on these details.

If you go I hope you will give us a report on what is open and what is not. Some of us do have a fear of off-season starvation.

Lyman
Rose
Donator
Donator

Post by Rose »

I asked in August when we were at Two Sisters when they were closing and they said mid-September. Same with Johnsons's... mid-September. Seems like all restaurants/businesses close within a few days of each other. A phone call to those businesses may provide more information.
~Dreams Often Become Realities~
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

On the east side the aspens are beginning to turn gold! Most of the tourists are leaving. It's a great time to visit Glacier. Yes accommodations are getting fewer. But Sun Road will be open to Logan Pass for several more weeks weather permitting.

If you want to camp bring warm clothes. Many Glacier will be open for a while in primitive status after the official closing date. St. Mary campground is open all year (primitive status). Two Medicine will remain open for a while in primitive status as well. This means no water and no flush toilets (only vault type toilets).

Lodging can be found all year in East Glacier. If you want to be closer to the St. Mary/Many Glacier Valleys Stay at Thronsons Motel in Babb or the Duck Lake Lodge just up the hill off US 89 on the Duck Lake Road.

Two Sisters hopes to stay open until around the 27th of September weather permitting. Park Cafe will be open for a while longer too.

Open all year are the Two Medicine Grill in East Glacier, the Firebrand west of East Glacier, the Restaurant in the Duck Lake Lodge and the leanin' Tree on Duck Lake Road just up from US 89. I noted last week the Fire Horse is still open.

Now is the time to patronize local places run by Montanans!
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Jay w

Re: Closing downFlat

Post by Jay w »

Thanks for the detailed info. I didn't realize there were places up towards Duck Lake. At least I know there's something there. I just had someone step on Sept 29th, so I'll have to see if I can get out of that (go tell them to take a hike), or get my act together quick for next week...or the beginning of Oct. My brother will be in Missoula, so that's another possible spur.

Flatheads ain't just for Harleys,

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Ear Mountain wrote:Open all year are the Two Medicine Grill in East Glacier, the Firebrand west of East Glacier, the Restaurant in the Duck Lake Lodge and the leanin' Tree on Duck Lake Road just up from US 89. I noted last week the Fire Horse is still open.
Ralph,

Thanks for that helpful information. I am under the impression that the Two Medicine Grill is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner but that the Firebrand is open onlly for dinner. Is that correct or not? How about the other places?

Lyman
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

llholmes1948 wrote:
Ear Mountain wrote:Open all year are the Two Medicine Grill in East Glacier, the Firebrand west of East Glacier, the Restaurant in the Duck Lake Lodge and the leanin' Tree on Duck Lake Road just up from US 89. I noted last week the Fire Horse is still open.
Ralph,
Thanks for that helpful information. I am under the impression that the Two Medicine Grill is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner but that the Firebrand is open onlly for dinner. Is that correct or not? How about the other places?
That's a good point Lyman. The Firebrand is indeed open just for dinner. Another dinner only option near East Glacier is the Bison Creek Ranch but I'm not sure whether they are open all year or not. Duck Lake Lodge would be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner like the Two Medicine Grill. I'm not positive about the Leanin' Tree but I had had breakfast and lunch there. They probably also serve dinner but may not stay open too late. Don't know about the Firehorse since I've not been in there.

I might also add the Snowslip west of Marias Pass. They have new owners and have been advertising heavily. I haven't eaten there since they changed hands but they are advertising their "restaurant" part of their business. Formerly the Snowslip was open all year and I suspect that will continue to be the case.

Of course a little farther west of US 2 is the Izaak Walton Inn at Essex. They are open all year for food and lodging.
ND Sol
Donator
Donator

Post by ND Sol »

The Park Cafe closed after dinner (or earlier if the food ran out) last night.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

ND Sol wrote:The Park Cafe closed after dinner (or earlier if the food ran out) last night.
Aw shucks, I missed by big chance. One year A friend and I were the last table served for the year. We were treated with a free dinner! Not this year for me.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

i heard the guy at firebrand in babb cooks on a george foreman grill.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

scott-atl wrote:i heard the guy at firebrand in babb cooks on a george foreman grill.
It's the Fire Horse (Firehorse?) in Babb. The Firebrand is on US 2 several miles west of East Glacier.
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

ND Sol wrote:The Park Cafe closed after dinner (or earlier if the food ran out) last night.

Thanks for the info. That would explain why I couldn't get my mid-morning slice of pie yesterday. I was hoping they were just opening late, guess I have start going to my other Pie dealers to get my fix.lol

I hope they had a good season with the increase in park visitors.
southernguy
Donator
Donator

Post by southernguy »

It looks like Eddy's in Apgar is closed. It was dark last night and this morning.

Jim

Return to “Camping”