A question about Mt. Reynolds

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

ND
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

A question about Mt. Reynolds

Post by ND »

A friend from another forum sent me a flickr link to this photo he found there. I was wondering where and how this photo was taken. Is it from the boardwalk? I am kind of careful not to get off the trail up at the pass because the rangers are a little touchy about the fragile alpine meadows. If not from the boardwalk, is this photo doable without special permission or is it along a route or trail used for climbing the mountain? It is an impressive photo. Another question, is this near where Galen Rowell took that double falls image?

Chewy

Re: A question about Mt. Reynolds

Post by Chewy »

Nice picture.
There is a sign with a map near the beginning of the boardwalk that says what areas are opened or closed. When I was there on Thursday the Reynolds-Oberlin areas were open but the Clements area was closed. I really enjoy wandering around those meadows near the stream.

Not sure about the Galen image, do you have a link? I've covered every acre of these meadows so I might be able to point out where the pic was made.
ND

Post by ND »

Thanks, Chewy.

Here is a link to Galen's photo

http://www.toddskinner.com/portal/Galen/Gallery_10.htm

Here's a flickr link to another guy who has an image of the same place on the first page of his photos. He has some really nice Glacier shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12399923@N06/
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

I love that pic. Over the years I've spent many hours relaxing on the flat rock all around those falls. Most of my pics are not yet digitized but here are couple of poor quality picks of the area.

The falls are located 1/3 from the bottom and in the center of pic, below the snowfield.

I got to meet Galen when I was working on a trail crew in Kings Canyon NP back in the mid 80's. Very interesting man, may he RIP.
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

How do you get to this area where you can see the falls?
The mountains are calling and I must go.
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

calicotraveler wrote:How do you get to this area where you can see the falls?

You head south from the boardwalk till you come to Reynolds creek (the first and largest stream you encounter). Then head upstream till you come to the falls.

Go to Google Earth and zoom in on the Logan pass area. Click the photo icon. You'll see a pic of what they call Triple Falls. That will show the location pretty well. I'd post a pic but I don't know how to do a screen capture.

I hope this helps.

edit- Be sure to check that the area is open before leaving the boardwalk.
ND

Post by ND »

Thanks so much Chewy. Your pictures have given me a lot of answers. I have always been hesitant to leave the boardwalk because I thought I would get into trouble. So you just cut out off the boardwalk and head up Reynolds Creek? Is there a trail or is it just going cross country and wandering where ever you want as long as the area is open? I did not know this was possible. Thanks again.
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

ND wrote:Thanks so much Chewy. Your pictures have given me a lot of answers. I have always been hesitant to leave the boardwalk because I thought I would get into trouble. So you just cut out off the boardwalk and head up Reynolds Creek? Is there a trail or is it just going cross country and wandering where ever you want as long as the area is open? I did not know this was possible. Thanks again.

Yeah, you just walk cross country. When I leave the boardwalk I try to stay on the rocks or snow till I get several hundred feet from the trail in order to minimize my impact. I've also taken off right from the parking lot.

I have to admit that I sometimes feel like I'm doing something bad when I leave the boardwalk, even though the sign says the area is open lol.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics of the falls and wildflowers. Here is another pic I took from that area on Thursday. As you can see, the wildflowers are still going off.

daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

If you want to capture an image from Google Earth, you just hit your print screen button, then paste into your image editing program, I do it all the time.

Dave
ND

Post by ND »

Beautiful pictures, Chewy! Thanks for all your help and I'm looking forward to exploring the area next time I get up there.
Khurram

Post by Khurram »

Chewy wrote:

You head south from the boardwalk till you come to Reynolds creek (the first and largest stream you encounter). Then head upstream till you come to the falls.

Go to Google Earth and zoom in on the Logan pass area. Click the photo icon. You'll see a pic of what they call Triple Falls. That will show the location pretty well. I'd post a pic but I don't know how to do a screen capture.

I hope this helps.

So if you are coming along the boardwalk at the visitor centre, does this mean you cut right at the first creek? I always figured you would walk down the hill, which would be taking a left.
twohappykampers
Gender?: Female

Post by twohappykampers »

Howdy Folks!

You might want to check out this link regarding Triple Falls, and getting to that area.

http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f=4&t=2221
Ken & Mary Ann
Life's a mountain, not a beach!
Khurram

Post by Khurram »

Chewy wrote:

I hope this helps.

I downloaded Google Earth and checked the Logan's pass area, however, I couldn't find the Triple Falls photo.

When you reach Reynolds Creek, do you head up the hill (turn right), or follow the creek down the hill (turn Left)? I always thought it was down near the bottom of the hill.
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

Khurram wrote:
I downloaded Google Earth and checked the Logan's pass area, however, I couldn't find the Triple Falls photo.

When you reach Reynolds Creek, do you head up the hill (turn right), or follow the creek down the hill (turn Left)? I always thought it was down near the bottom of the hill.
Sorry it took so long to answer you. After reaching Reynolds creek you turn right (upstream). You can't miss it.

Dave- thanks for the info but I'm very computer challenged. I'll try to get a friend to walk me through the procedure.

Twohappycampers- interesting read.

ND- My pleasure, you gave me an opportunity to be a pic whore. lol
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

ND wrote:Thanks so much Chewy. Your pictures have given me a lot of answers. I have always been hesitant to leave the boardwalk because I thought I would get into trouble.
With the rangers we had in the 1970s I think you would have gotten into trouble due to their constant emphasis on staying on established trails and not harming the fragile alpine landscape. I certainly would not have wanted to try it.

Lyman

Return to “Photography”