Backcountry Meals

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

wileys
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Backcountry Meals

Post by wileys »

Evenin'.. I am pretty set for my 5 night backcountry trip coming up later this month (thanks to a lot of good folks on this site). My only real concern now is eating some decent meals.. I know there are a bunch of pre-packaged camp meals out there, but other than that, I was wondering what ya'll like to prepare/eat in the backcountry?

Thanks guys
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Backcountry Meals

Post by daveparker »

I spent many years preparing my own meals, but I have since pretty much changed over to Mountain House products, basically due to the convenience as well as the good quality taste....they are a bit expensive, compared to making your own and drying, but I find it far easier than trying to do my own anylonger. And I love their freeze dried ice cream bars!!!

Dave
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

I'm a Mountain House fan as well. Super convenient. I've even eaten them in my room when staying at the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn as they are easy to prepare, save oodles of time over the on-site restaurant, and are cheaper than the restaurant as well.

Never had the freeze-dried ice cream bars, though. I'll have to give them a try!
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
goose

Post by goose »

Mary Jane's Farm makes deliscious, organic and vegetarian meals for camping, etc. Just add hot water and wait 5 minutes. Very flavorful and filling, not high in sodium, and easy. There are even some corn bread and pesto "fry-bread" mixes, in addition to the pastas, couscous and bulgar-based meals. I just had one yesterday at work for a snack!

Goose
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

I too favor Mountain House meals. I also prefer to spend as much of my time in the backcountry enjoying the sights and sounds and try to limit my time with meal preparation and cleanup. Give me the boil water approach every time. Especially in grizzly country;
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
dorf

Post by dorf »

I used to like Mountain House but got tired of everything except the Pasta Primavera. Now I bring along a stack of tortillas,dehydrated veggies and pasta from home and a few pouches of pseudo-real meat.

Pasta Salad

dehydrated green onions, black olives, carrots and elbow macaroni. Rehydrate with cold water and add crushed red pepper, pepperoni slices, sun dried tomatoes, some cheese and a packet of italian dressing. Primo.

Tuna melt/quesadilla

Cheese, pre-cooked bacon, sun dried tomatoes and of course tuna sandwiched between flour tortillas.

Macaroni & Cheese with left over elbow macaroni,Spam and pepperoni slices

Pizza

Dehydrate your own sauce and veggies at home and slap on the pepperoni and cheese on a lightly fried in olive oil tortilla. Best meal of my Beartooths trip last month.
So many mountains, so little time.
debbyn
Donator
Donator

Post by debbyn »

Dorf- those meals look better than what we eat at home!
Bruce
Donator
Donator

Post by Bruce »

Dorf! I thought you said you packed LIGHT.... :mrgreen:
dorf

Post by dorf »

Bruce wrote:Dorf! I thought you said you packed LIGHT.... :mrgreen:
A base weight of a hair over 10 lbs. allows me to load up on food, baby! 8) I was still at 29 lbs. for 7 nights including a liter of water AND I ate very well.
So many mountains, so little time.

Return to “Camping”