Water Purification Filters Systems

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

wileys
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Water Purification Filters Systems

Post by wileys »

Does anyone have a recommendation on types of water purification filters (for the backcountry)? I"m looking for something that is size/weight conscious.. I dont' hear of many people using the iodine capsules anymore? just curious what people recommend..

Thanks
ND Sol
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Water Purification Filters Systems

Post by ND Sol »

There is a difference between a filter and a purifier. For places like Glacier, a filter is sufficient (in fact, in the backcountry I would say you are generally safe not using any treatment at all). I personally use a MIOX. You make a fresh batch of solution each time and no pumping is required. If you are looking for the more traditional pump filters, the MSR Hyperflow is fairly light and pumps quicker than anything else I am aware of.

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500030&p ... +Purifiers shows a list of what is generally available.

Some people will use drops or tablets. If you do, ensure that they have EPA approval. For example, the Aquamira tablets do, but the drops do not.

I would avoid using iodine. It is not as effective and if used too much, can have adverse health effects.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

ND Sol wrote:For places like Glacier, a filter is sufficient (in fact, in the backcountry I would say you are generally safe not using any treatment at all).
To convince you a filter is a good idea all you have to do is to talk to someone who has suffered from giardiasis. It's a very unpleasant experience and it is found in park waters. You may get by without treatment but it only takes once!

I prefer a Katadyn Hiker Pro Filter. They'll pump a lot of water with minimal fuss. We generally filter soon after arriving at camp and filter enough water for that nights dinner, breakfast the following morning, water for the trail as well as incidentals. I carry platypus containers that collapse and store easily yet hold plenty of water.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
b_kloos88

Post by b_kloos88 »

I just started carrying a Katadyn Base Camp, a gravity filter. The thing weighs the same as my MSR Sweetwater, packs down as small, yet makes filtering water 100 times easier. It will hold 3 gallons or so. I just fill it, and I have water for the all my meals from dinner to breakfast the next morning and anything in between. No pumping at all, and it filters very quick. It'll fill a 32 oz. Nalgene in less than 2 minutes...I should have carryed this thing all along. I hate pumping water, and this solves that problem.
Brian

"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness."
goose

Post by goose »

I have used the steripen (ultraviolet water treatment) on two trips to GNP. Anyone know of any problems with not filtering water?

David
b_kloos88

Post by b_kloos88 »

goose wrote:I have used the steripen (ultraviolet water treatment) on two trips to GNP. Anyone know of any problems with not filtering water?

David
Just silt and bugs :D
Brian

"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness."
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

I just started using a Steripen this year. It only takes a minute for a 1 liter Nalgene and its very light. I love it. The only potential problem is when the water is murkey the light doesn't get through too well. Glacier water is pretty clear so shouldn't be a problem. They have a pre-filter for it but I don't have it or see a need for it. A coffee filter would work I guess.

For long trips with high volumes of water (lot's of people) I'll still take my MSR Sweetwater filter. It'll handle ANYTHING including dead deer upstream (didn't know about that one till after the fact :shock: ) For short day hikes in relatively clean water areas I have a filter in a squeeze bottle ($16). It does an OK job but it is a little risky with questionable water.

That being said, I hike with a guy that only has a cup. He's never had a problem (yet). My sister was in "The Bob" for a week using filtered water and only had one exposure to unfiltered water brushing her teeth. She lost the lottery and got Giardia.
wileys

Post by wileys »

Appreciate the replies..
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

I live dangerously, I don't use one..

Dave
Rose
Donator
Donator

Post by Rose »

IF you were going to purchase a water filtration system to carry ONLY in case you should run out of water on a long day hike, what would you purchase?
~Dreams Often Become Realities~
Talusman
Donator
Donator

Post by Talusman »

There is one that weighs less than an ounce that I carry as backup. It's really a straw with a small filter built in. You stick it in water and well, you know. I'll find it this weekend and post the name.
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor

Post by mattB »

I have a Katdyn Hiker Pro and it worked well on a overnight trip, and its really not very heavy, and is pretty quick to use, so it would be ok to carry on a day hike.

I've never used any of those light-pen things, but I've heard they work well, that might be a good "emergency" backup option on a day hike. They do require batteries though.

If you're purely looking for an emergency backup thing, just in case you run out of water, the iodine tablets might be a light weight option?
Are you looking for something to reduce the amount of water you carry, or really only something to use in case of an emergency?
ND Sol
Donator
Donator

Post by ND Sol »

If you are just looking for an emergency back-up and to keep your investment lower, I would look at Katadyn Micropur products. http://www.katadyn.com/en/katadyn-produ ... pur-forte/ I would avoid iodine as it is not as effective on all critters and extended use may lead to adverse health problems. In very turbid and cold waters, it will take longer to neutralize and, of course, it won't take out any crunchies, which generally isn't a problem in Glacier.
Rose
Donator
Donator

Post by Rose »

mattB wrote:Are you looking for something to reduce the amount of water you carry, or really only something to use in case of an emergency?
I have a 100 ml bladder in my backpack, but on the Grinnell Glacier trail this year, my bladder had wrinkles in it at the end of the day because I had used every available drop of water. (We said it was vacuum sucked :lol: instead of vacuum packed) :lol: When we did the Loop trail, I froze water in my nalgene bottle and carried it in addition because I drink a lot of water... especially if it is hot. And it's usually hot because we go late in August.

Robert is afraid I'll run out of water while hiking and he's wanting to get a filter... just in case.
~Dreams Often Become Realities~
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Rose wrote:I have a 100 ml bladder in my backpack...
Rose,
Are you sure it's that small. 100 ml wouldn't last me on drink. You must have meant at least a one liter (1000 ml) bladder? Even that, for me, would not be enough for a day hike in warm weather.

On hot longer day hike I'll carry a minimum of a 3 Liter (3000 ml) Platypus. If it's a climb where I know I'll be using a lot of water I'll carry an extra 2 liter bag in my pack.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”