Water Purification Filters Systems

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Water Purification Filters Systems

Post by mattB »

I've never used a Steripen so I'm not sure how complicated it would be, but for day hikes it does seem like a pretty good way to go.
BUT last summer I got a Katidyn Hiker Pro for over-night backpack trips, and its really easy to use and really not very heavy. It didn't take much practice at all and I was pretty fast getting setup and having clean water.
I've even started considering carrying LESS water on my day hikes but carrying the filter, so overall it might be a weight savings to carry the filter, but I guess the steripen would be even lighter.
Buck
Donator
Donator

Post by Buck »

SOOOOOOO......Who's got the scuttle on the MSR Hypeflow ??
Been out a year now and I'm hering nothing but positives.
Any experience from the all knowledgeable Glacier Chatta's ??
"You are what you is....and that's all it is.........
You are what you am....a cow don't make ham.. "

Frank Zappa
ND Sol
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by ND Sol »

Buck wrote:SOOOOOOO......Who's got the scuttle on the MSR Hypeflow ??
Been out a year now and I'm hering nothing but positives.
Any experience from the all knowledgeable Glacier Chatta's ??
We had the MSR MIOX and the Hyperflow on our eight day Glacier trip last September. While together, we primarily used the MIOX, but there were times when we wanted smaller amounts of water quickly, so used the Hyperflow. We were separate for the last couple of days and he used the Hyperflow during that time with no issues.
distressbark

Post by distressbark »

I had to return my MSR Sweetwater system to REI yesterday, as it crapped out on me last year after replacing an old filter. It just wouldn't pump on a consistent basis. Fortunately, REI took it back and gave me full credit, so now I'm in the market for either the Katydyn Pro Hiker (which I've used before and liked very much) or the MSR Miniworks. I really like to take my filter on day hikes, and would like something reliable for backpacking, so it seems like the Katydyn might be the way to go. The Miniworks has received great reviews, but it's rather bulky and only pumps about 1 L/min, but my understanding is that the ceramic filter system produces really clean, tasty water. Seems like both have more pros than cons. A few chatter had nice things to say about the Katydyn; any insight on the Miniworks from anybody?
- anders

"And what do the birds say? All there is to say about a massacre, things like Poo-tee-weet?"
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
sambieni
Donator
Donator

Post by sambieni »

I have been using the First Need purifier for a while:

http://www.rei.com/product/767831

It is a bit bulky and heavier than preferred, but i received at as a gift over 10 years ago setting on one of my first backpacking trips and I find it very effective. Every now and again I have to buy the expensive relpacement cartridges. But it works fairly wel, cleans everything I need to clean and more based on its specs, and leaves little residue behind. I recommend if you're willing to bring a bit more weight along and looking to avoid batteries. I also pack in a day or two's worth of iodine pills just in case my filter craps out since they are so light, etc. I usually use them here and there if I get sluggish along the trail and dont' want to stop to filter. Yea, the iodine tastes like bad word, but for one liter of water here and there, I will manage.

I've had giarrhdea (sp?) from time spent in Africa. It is miserable. As someone else said - it lingers for a long while, hard to diagnose, and the pills to clear it up are miserable too.
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

I've used the MSR Miniworks for more than 10 years. Its not the fastest pump in the world, taking about 70 strokes/quart. It works best when pumped slowly and consistently. I've had people get frustrated with it and try to pump hard and fast which doesn't work very well. Because it filters out quite small particles it does plug up sometimes but it can be cleaned in the field. It is also designed to screw onto a wide mouth Nalgene bottle. It can be clumsy to use with a bladder or other bottle type. The newer model that MSR sells these days is supposed to have higher throughput. In short, it has been rugged and reliable for me but has quirks that annoy some people.
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

orin wrote:I've used the MSR Miniworks for more than 10 years. Its not the fastest pump in the world, taking about 70 strokes/quart. It works best when pumped slowly and consistently. I've had people get frustrated with it and try to pump hard and fast which doesn't work very well. Because it filters out quite small particles it does plug up sometimes but it can be cleaned in the field. It is also designed to screw onto a wide mouth Nalgene bottle. It can be clumsy to use with a bladder or other bottle type. The newer model that MSR sells these days is supposed to have higher throughput. In short, it has been rugged and reliable for me but has quirks that annoy some people.
Although I've never used the Miniworks, I have seen others use the older model many times and they're always frustrated.

Does anyone use the Steripen? I wanted to get one, but there are lot of unhappy reviews at REI.com
Buck
Donator
Donator

Post by Buck »

sj in cal wrote:
orin wrote:I've used the MSR Miniworks for more than 10 years. Its not the fastest pump in the world, taking about 70 strokes/quart. It works best when pumped slowly and consistently. I've had people get frustrated with it and try to pump hard and fast which doesn't work very well. Because it filters out quite small particles it does plug up sometimes but it can be cleaned in the field. It is also designed to screw onto a wide mouth Nalgene bottle. It can be clumsy to use with a bladder or other bottle type. The newer model that MSR sells these days is supposed to have higher throughput. In short, it has been rugged and reliable for me but has quirks that annoy some people.
Although I've never used the Miniworks, I have seen others use the older model many times and they're always frustrated.

Does anyone use the Steripen? I wanted to get one, but there are lot of unhappy reviews at REI.com
It's so funny how everyone has different opinions but that is the spice of life I guess.

With regards to the miniworks = it's what I've been using for years and if used properly (don't pump mud) it has never let me down.
In fact the only reason I had asked upstream in this blog about the Hyperflow was because I'm interested in reducing weight and it's higher capacity.
The ceramic / carbon filter in the miniworks produces the best water I've tasted and it's usually up against my buddies first need filter when we're on extended trips. I actually believe we pump faster with the mini than the first need to be sure.
Regards.
"You are what you is....and that's all it is.........
You are what you am....a cow don't make ham.. "

Frank Zappa
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Going back to the Steripen--
I encountered two groups this summer who had their Steripen quit working. They had to borrow a filter from other campers. Tis happened at Fifty Mountain and one other site this past summer. These devices are light but I still think that great care must be taken to prevent damage to them.

Should this failure have happened in a Wilderness area where there are fewer other backpackers and no designated campgrounds the uses would have been drinking untreated water.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

I like my Steripen but also acknowledge its limitations (as with all gear). Always have a backup, either with you or your companions. We make sure to have at least 2 of everything and its been great at times. One backup for the Pen is to boil some water up. It uses more fuel in the stove but it beats the green apple 2 step. :mrgreen:
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Marmotman wrote:I like my Steripen but also acknowledge its limitations (as with all gear). Always have a backup, either with you or your companions. We make sure to have at least 2 of everything and its been great at times. One backup for the Pen is to boil some water up. It uses more fuel in the stove but it beats the green apple 2 step. :mrgreen:
Oooohhhhwwwweeeeeee! You got that right. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

EarMountain:
Do you know if the Steripens that failed were the newer "optic" type? It's touted that the newer Steripen "Optic" is more durable and more reliable than the older models.

I bought the Potable Aqua tabs as backup for my new SteriPen Optic. Small bottles and takes up little space and weight is negligable.
Gotta wait on 30 mins or so for them to work. The Vitamin C improves the taste.
Boiling is good, but as said, it uses fuel which might be an issue at times.

pocketlint :wink:
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

angelchris wrote:Water purification products are best in preparing healthy drinking water. water filters from Tyent USA offers best quality water ionizers.
I have used this product and this is worth for the amount for preparing best alkaline water.
Welcome to the chat.

I gotta say. I looked at the website and I didn't see anything light enough to backpack...and nevermind the 4 figure price tags on most of what I did see. :shock:
What did I miss?

pocketlint :wink:
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

I'd call it spam. And I see the original post has been deleted.
JWB475

Post by JWB475 »

I used a Steripen Adventurer Opti this summer in GNP. Just carry extra batteries and have a backup of treatment tablets in case of a catastrophic failure.

I rarely need to carry more than my nalgene bottle of water when in GNP. There are usually plenty of spots to stop and top it off when on the trail.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”