Evening Gear for Backcountry

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

wileys
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Evening Gear for Backcountry

Post by wileys »

Good Morning,
I am going to be in the backcountry in late August for a week.. I am expecting 40 degree nights or possibly colder.. I expect to be in short sleeves and shorts in the day, but need some recomendations on what I'll need at night.. I also have to consider gear that is size and weight conscious for my pack..can anyone recommend good cold weather gear for these conditions?

Thanks
Yvonne Settle
Gender?: Female

Re: Evening Gear for Backcountry

Post by Yvonne Settle »

One piece of clothing I bring on all backpacks is a Goretex Jacket. They are multi-functional as they are lightweight, rainproof and wind resistent. I have a paclite jacket and it rolls up into a little ball and fits nicely in your backpack. Also, I typically wear my heavier long underwear under my shorts and they function for warmth - sleeping and bug protection. I agree - whenever we can cut out some weight the better. I'll be interested in others tips. I will be in Glacier in about 1 1/2 weeks and am also wondering what type of evening clothing to take because I have never backpacked Glacier before.
Talusman
Donator
Donator

Post by Talusman »

Momt-bell makes a seven to eight ounce down jacket that I use for those cool mornings and evenings. Way to warm to hike in though. Packs very small.
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor

Post by mattB »

I like light-weight wool pants. I get old pure wool dress pants from second-hand stores. Cut out any cotton lining. They're not actually that heavy, loose fitting, very comfortable and just the right thickness to keep you nice and warm on those cool evenings. Plus they're light enough to hike in on cool days.
I also have a Pendelton wool shirt that I like for wearing around camp on cool evenings.
ND Sol
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by ND Sol »

I generally prefer to hike in long sleeves and long pants in Glacier. It keeps down the amount of sunscreen that I have to worry about. I have a long sleeve wicking shirt that has vent panels on the back and zips up the arm, under the armpit and down my torso. So when it is warmer, I can open those up and ventilate. Same goes with the long pants and a zip down the side of each leg. When you are in camp, you can zip them up and keep warmer.

I agree that down is the way to go. It will give you the most bang for the buck. I carry a down vest with elastic waist and arm bands to keep my torso heat contained. A light pair of gloves or cloth mittens help as well (in fact, your extra pair of socks can be worn as gloves). But probably the biggest help would be a wool or similar cap. It is lightweight and helps minimize a big source of heat loss. A lightweight waterproof jacket will also help since it creates a vapor barrier that helps maintain heat and humidity.

Some lightweighters would say don't carry anything else. When it gets cold, retreat to your sleeping bag. I personally don't fall into that camp.

Now to many this may seem heresy, but there is a lot of hype around Gore Tex. There are many fabrics that work much better in pushing water vapor out. Gore Tex is overwhelmed too easily when you are hiking in the rain; you get soaked in your own perspiration. Look at this PDF to give you some ideas about different fabrics. http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gea ... bility.pdf For true Gore Tex, You would be lucky to find anything under a pound and many weigh close to two pounds.

If you want something that is waterproof, but breathable, look to eVent. If you want water resistant, but breathable and lighter look to Epic for example. I even like some soft-shells for their breathability and ability to ward off light rain, but many would disagree. If you are staying on-trail in Glacier, for rain gear I generally use a sil-nylon poncho with thumb loops and snaps. Good ventilation, lightweight and it covers not just you but all of your backpack. And for those toilets that do not have a roof, a poncho works better than a jacket.
dorf
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by dorf »

I'm not so sure you'd need to bring anything extra for that time of the year with the exception of a fleece beanie or something similar to wear while sleeping. For sitting around camp just throw on whatever insulation layer you have and add your rain jacket to trap some warmth and cut the wind. Use an extra pair of socks as mittens if your hands get cold. Worst case: you have to bundle up in your sleeping bag which is hopefully accurately rated to at least 35. My coldest night ever was spent shivering in a 40* bag at SPE in early September.

BTW, that Montbell inner down jacket is pretty nice but they are sized a little smallish, FYI
So many mountains, so little time.
wileys

Post by wileys »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies.. Good Info

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”