Itinerary changes

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

switchback
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Itinerary changes

Post by switchback »

Got a suprise call today from the GNP staff regarding my reservation for Red Eagle campground. Of course with the fire it is closed now.
So they called to "re-route" us.
Originally our route took us from No Name to Atlantic to Red Eagle foot, and on to REY, GUN, & SPE.
I saw that a spot was open at Cobalt lake so switched ATL for it.
So now we'll do the Pit-Daw loop to NON, then a short hike to COB, and we'll have an open night in the week to travel and "rest" before finishing the trip. (Rest = car camp)
I was just surprised to hear from the staff so soon and wanted to share my excitement with you all :o
Anyone care to comment on Cobalt lake? Is it a nice campsite? Any specific attractions nearby?
3 weeks and counting...
Thanks! ~ Jim
"What lies behind us, and what lies before us... are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" RW Emerson
Backcountry Jim

Post by Backcountry Jim »

At this point, I am trying to get that same route. I already have the first night at No Name, but Cobalt is not available for the second night. I will try to tack it on when I pick up my permit. I leave tomorrow and will be back in 12 days. If I do get to Cobalt, I will send you a report.
grizzlyguy

Cobalt Lake

Post by grizzlyguy »

Switchback,

Cobalt lake is a nice hike with most of the elevation coming in the last couple of miles. You are camped right below the continental divide. The site is in a small depression that can seem 10 degrees colder than just a few yards away. You will pass Rockwell falls along the trail. If I remember right there are a lot of huckleberry bushes on that trail and it seems to be a good year so far for them. You can access several peaks from Two Medicine pass if you like to scramble.

--Sam
switchback

Post by switchback »

Thanks GrizzlyGuy!
I am really looking forward to hiking & exploring this area of the park for the first time. :-)
"What lies behind us, and what lies before us... are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" RW Emerson
k2kelley
Donator
Donator

colbalt

Post by k2kelley »

was at cobalt last year. Not a remarkable site, but nice area. Good wildflowers on the route to the pass just out of camp. That is a good day hike, up to 2-med pass and look down at the fire from a few years ago on the otherside. Little animal sign when I was there, but that changes over the season.

Return to “Backcountry Permits”