food storage

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

wendy
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

food storage

Post by wendy »

Hello there! I am planning to visit Glacier in August and I have a few questions regarding bears and food storage. Based on information from the Glacier website, it would seem that leaving food in your car is an acceptable means of storage. Am I correct? Since most of my backcountry experience is in the Sierras, this is a little worrisome. For example, in Yosemite, bear resistant food lockers are everywhere and you are fined if caught leaving food in your car. When hiking Mt. Whitney, we've seen many cars ripped into by what I presume to be hungry black bears. Is this not an issue in Glacier? Also, I have been reading about the bear poles for overnight trips - this is a new concept for me, but I can dig it. Would it also be acceptable to use a bear canister if it's stashed a safe distance from camp?

Sorry I am not wise to the ways of the Montana bears! I appreciate any info/advice you all have!
debbyn
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: food storage

Post by debbyn »

You are correct that you can and must leave food in your car if it is not in immediate use at campgrounds, picnic areas and any time you are parked. That goes for ALL cooking utensils, stoves, pots and pans etc. You are not even allowed to leave your tablecloth on the table. Alot of campers are not aware of this as I've seen these left out on numerous occasions while they are gone for the day from their site. Last year when we were camping at Many Glacier, rangers were installing bear proof lockers at many of the sites. So there is that optopn also. As for back country sites-yes the bear poles are there for hikers to hoist there food and any other odiforous stuff (tooth paste, soap, garbage etc.). You are required to bring at least 25 foot rope for this endeavor. The sites I've stayed at have either two poles with a taught cable between or hooks attatched to one pole. The back country guide doesn't say anything about bear proof containers. You may want to give them a call. I'm not sure but they may require you to put them in a sack and hoist those as well and then why bother. We use a waterproof stuff sack. So far the bears in Glacier have not figured out how to get to hoisted sacks. They haven't figured out how to get in cars either like those smarter than the average bears that roam Yosemite.
wendy
Gender?: Female

Post by wendy »

Thanks for the info!
paul
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by paul »

Last year I left a half gallon bottle of spring water outside at my car campsite. And the rangers pounced on me. Apparently bears are even attracted to plastic bottles with no scent.
Jay w
Gender?: Male

Post by Jay w »

You have to remember that Govn doesn't care about facts, just the rules.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.

Return to “Camping”