Hole in the Wall

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Hole in the Wall

Post by Jay w »

I've great things about this area and I've looked at doing this hike as a day hike from Waterton. I'm curious if the routes from the North, East, and West are any better in terms of length, vertical, and scenery. Since I haven't seen any of it but a bit of Belly River (to the ranger station), all would be new.

I can usually cover about 25 miles and 3-5000 of vertical in 8-10 hours with a little running. I seem to remember clocking it at about 30 miles from Waterton (with a boat) and around the same from Belly River. So, a tough day.

Jay (don't need no stickin' permits) W
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
paul
Donator
Donator

Re: Hole in the Wall

Post by paul »

I've done hole-in-the-wall in a day from Bowman lake. It was pretty exhausting. I remember running on the Bowman lake trail so I could get back before sun down. If you can get a boat on Bowman you can cut off 14 miles of hiking from the trip.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Jay,
In your OP you must have meant something other than Belly River. North Fork, Bowman or Kintla maybe?

Goat Haunt to Hole-in-the-Wall is about 10ish miles one way. Elevation gain about 2,400 feet.

Bowman Lake Foot to Hole-in-the-Wall is about about 15ish miles one way. Elevation gain about 2,600 feet. But no elevation gain until after 7.1 miles.

So looks to be shorter, although I wouldn't want to run in/out, from Waterton Lake at Goat Haunt.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Heff936 »

By far the easiest approach to Hole in the Wall is from Waterton. The route is in the forest and not very demanding until you get to Lake Francis, where you MUST take a quick hike down to the lake. it is spectacular. The route from Francis to HOL is great. You go over Brown Pass, but without the sign you would not even know you'd crossed a pass. From there to HOL, the scenery is fabulous. Here is a photo taken from the Hole In the Wall campground.

Heff

In Vino Veritas, In Cerevisia Felicitas
In Wine Truth, In Beer Happiness
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

Jay:

I did not realize the one-way mileage was over 10 miles ( thanks Ralph). If you can swing an overnight, that would be the way to go, spending one night at either HOL or FRA. Even though the route is long, it is not a difficult route but it might be hard to get to Goat Haunt early enough to get up to HOL and back before the last boat back to Waterton.

Heff
In Vino Veritas, In Cerevisia Felicitas
In Wine Truth, In Beer Happiness
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Ear Mountain wrote:Jay,
In your OP you must have meant something other than Belly River. North Fork, Bowman or Kintla maybe?
You're absolutely right. I looked at a map and realized I was mixing up two hikes I contemplated a couple years ago. One was Waterton to Hole in the Wall, and the other was Belly River to Waterton. Another problem with relying on my memory, is that I probably calculated the distance in case I missed the boat.

Anyway, thanks for the quick replies (and photo Heff). So, do you guys have any feel for if the trail is passible on July 9th at 6:42 am? (grin.) I took a look at the trail status and they've already erased last year's data on when things opened. I don't mind hiking in snow as long as it's not high angle or snow bridges over water. So, is early July out of the question and mid-July questionable? I've had a quest for this spot going for a few years.

Thanks,

Jay
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

I camped at Brown Pass and spent a day climbing Mount Chapman June 29-July 1, 2007. There was no snow on the trail up from Waterton. Boulder Pass would have still been closed but getting into Hole-in-the-Wall would have been no problem. Somewhat more snow this year but I'd expect the hike from either Waterton or Bowman to Hole-in-the-Wall would be possible on July 9.
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

I would disagree a little with Ralph on this. I don't know the exact dates of when the section of trail between Brown's pass and Hole in the Wall opened last year but it was late (mid-July). There is one spot where the trail clings to a rock face that would be pretty sketchy. I think the snowpack this spring is more like 08 than 07 so July 9th may be a no-go. Of course it could also be open. No guarantee in my book though. Check with the Backcountry office for more specific info.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Kodiak may be right.
But Snowpack this year is not as high as last year especially in the Flathead basins. According to the NRCS the snowpack is still below normal in that basin and only 62-70 percent of last year. The snow course data was measured on May first which was after the late April storm.

If you round the bend and the trail is blocked at the couloir Kodiak mentions then at least you can see over to Hole-in-the-Wall. But as said, check the trail status before you go.
ND Sol
Donator
Donator

Post by ND Sol »

Here is a picture on the route to Boulder Pass looking back with Hole in the Wall on the bottom right and Brown Pass off in the distance. I am attaching the picture so hopefully you can see the trail back towards Brown Pass and see how it could easily be subject to snow cover. It is fairly narrow as it comes around that bend in the distance.

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

There is another discussion of this area and a few more photos at this link:

http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f=2&t=1617
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

This photo was taken last July from Boulder Pass. If you look to the left side you'll see the cliffs surrounding hole in the wall. Last year the snow cover was pretty heavy yet I remember looking down into that basin and seeing the trail being bare. A few hikers I met were headed there that day.

Mort&Linda
Donator
Donator

Post by Mort&Linda »

Last year Boulder Pass CG was still officially closed on August 1st. We were given a night at Hole-in-the-Wall because BP CG was closed with snow and we were coming in and out at Waterton. There was no snow on the trail into Hole-in-the-Wall in August, but there was quite a bit of snow higher up towards Boulder Pass though some people were hiking through from the West side. I wouldn't want to hike that rock face near Hole-in-the-Wall in July if it had significant snow. Perhaps more important for your question is the boat schedule from Waterton to Goat Haunt. Last year I think the earliest boat left at 10:00 AM which meant you wouldn't start until 11 or so from Goat Haunt. You could hike the lake shore trail from Waterton to Goat Haunt, but that would add significant mileage to your day hike. Mort
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

All good info. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yup, first boat is 10 am and it looks like an hour trip. Last boat is 8 pm. $22 one way, $34 round trip. One thing I don't like about 25 mile days is that I can't stop for long to photograph. So I may have to consider packing the hiking gear and see if I can get lucky and get a site at Lake Francis or HOL. It's been a while. (Usually I car camp.)

Jay
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

The boat trip up lake to Goat Haunt can actually take a little longer than the trip back. The boat staff usually provides more commentary on the first leg. Also you will need time to go through customs. Usually doesn't take too long but now that there are actual customs officers there the process is more formal. The morning boat will potentially have more day hikers and backpackers so customs might require a little mote time. I doubt you will get past the ranger station to begin your hike before 11:30 or 11:45.

I'm sure you're aware but just in case remember that passports may be required for reentry into the US at Goat Haunt. I say "may be" because the Glacier Park web site still says that proof of citizenship (birth certificates, etc) are all that is required. I think that will change for this year and a passport will be required.

Return to “Hiking”