1st time in Glacier need camping/hiking advise/have one 9yr

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Leenc
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

1st time in Glacier need camping/hiking advise/have one 9yr

Post by Leenc »

My husband and i are planning a trip to the northwest this summer for 3 weeks and plan to spend a week in Glacier. We have a 9 year old boy who just started hiking last year. I want to spend some time car camping at as remote a destination one can car camp with great easy day hikes and i also want to plan a easy mileage and terrain 3 day back country hike. Any suggestions. We are tent campers, we hate RV's. We camp all the time at least 30 days a year but hiking is new to us. We have the gear and have done some overnights here in the east (Western NC, Pisgah National Forest and Grason Highlands in Va) :arrow: For the most part given your criteria, the front country campgrounds in Glacier are all about the same.

Also i am a little concerned about bears. we have lots of bears, i treed a cub two days ago in my front yard by accident but they are black bears so they are only about the trash. How prevalent are attacks? Do they only occur back country or also in campgrounds. What is the necessary gear for Grizzlies?
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male

Re: 1st time in Glacier need camping/hiking advise/have one 9yr

Post by Hockey Ref »

Welcome to the board! I'll try to address your questions.

The link below shows all of Glacier's campgrounds. They are closed this time of year, so don't worry about that. The most remote sites will be those on the northwest side of the park (Kintla Lake, Bowman Lake, Quartz Lake, Logging Creek). However, although there are hiking trails in that area, they are more limited in number than in other parts of the park. Basically you'll have one trail in and out from most of those locations. But that might be okay with you given your desire for remoteness.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/c ... status.cfm

The link below will take you to Glacier's trail maps. Choose the North Fork to see the trails in the area I described above.

http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/h ... trails.htm

I'm not sure there are any three-day backcountry hikes that will fit your description of "easy mileage and terrain." Others on this site might have suggestions. At any rate, you'll need a backcountry permit for any camping at BC sites. Many already have been reserved for this coming season, but the NPS also holds others open for walk-ups. You'll need to check at one of the backcountry offices to see what's available when you arrive. The rangers will work with you to get you something that meets your criteria, but you'll need to be flexible.

Bear attacks in Glacier are very rare. However, I don't believe they are more prevalent in the backcountry than elsewhere. The last highly publicized attack happened several years ago on the Grinnell Glacier trail, one of the most popular and frequently hiked trails in the park.

Many other FAQs asked by Glacier first-timers, including the backcountry permit process and hiking/camping in bear country, are addressed at this link:

http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/viewt ... ?f=1&t=580

Let us know if you have other questions.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Leenc

Post by Leenc »

Thanks for the advise. I did know of the permit issue but i was just able to get our flights today. I was waiting on a deal and did I get one (198 from Atl roundtrip - kudos to AA for making this trip possible!) but missed the April deadline. But we are nothing if not flexible we have no real plans but to fly into Seattle and then roam for three weeks camping from place to place. Maybe we will just plan to check in at a station and see what we can get back country wise. We may enter from the north/Canadian border, if so where would we check in. And thanks again!!
Jen

Post by Jen »

Leenc wrote:Thanks for the advise. I did know of the permit issue but i was just able to get our flights today. I was waiting on a deal and did I get one (198 from Atl roundtrip - kudos to AA for making this trip possible!) but missed the April deadline. But we are nothing if not flexible we have no real plans but to fly into Seattle and then roam for three weeks camping from place to place. Maybe we will just plan to check in at a station and see what we can get back country wise. We may enter from the north/Canadian border, if so where would we check in. And thanks again!!
Did you say $198 RT? Airfare prices are dropping but it is still $378 from Milwaukee to Kalispell!
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

If you come in from Canada you'll likely be coming from the Waterton area and will come down the east side of the park. Your two best choices for checking in at a ranger station will be in Many Glacier or St. Mary.

By the way, if you're willing to sacrifice some seclusion and remoteness for increased day-hiking choices, particularly for a 9-year-old, I would suggest the Many Glacier campground. It's in one of the most scenic areas of the park with direct access to several amazing trails literally at your tent door. It's also the largest and most popular campground in the park due to the scenery and trail access. Like I said, there are trade-offs. The Many Glacier campground typically fills up before noon during the height of the season, so plan accordingly.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

One backcountry trip easy in mileage and terrain would be to the Gable Creek camp on the Belly river. It would be 6 miles in with about 700 feet of elevation loss at the beginning and then relatively level. The next day do a 7-8 mile loop dayhike to Cosley Lake, across to Elizabeth Lake and back to Gable Creek for a second night. There are 2 lakes, 2 waterfalls and a suspension bridge in a beautiful area. You have to ford the stream at the outlet of Cosley Lake but its not difficult later in the season. On the 3rd day, retrace your route back to the Chief Mountain trailhead. Of course it only works if you can get 2 nights at Gable Creek, either by advance reservation or by being first in line at the backcountry office the morning of the day before you plan to head in.
July Guy
Donator
Donator

Post by July Guy »

Leenc wrote:I want to spend some time car camping at as remote a destination one can car camp with great easy day hikes
I agree with Ref regarding the trade offs. For a remote feel I'd recommend either Kintla (13 sites) or Bowman Lake (48 sites). Many Glacier has the best hiking...maybe spend time in both areas? (since you have a week).

Also, Many Glacier is the 4th largest campground in Glacier in terms of number of sites. (Apgar = 194, Fish Creek = 178, St. Mary = 148, Many Glacier = 110)

Hope you enjoy your trip.
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

Kintla would definitely be a good remote camp. The only downside is that there is only one or two trail leading from that campground. But for a couple of days, this would be a great spot to camp. It is very remote and a long drive on a bad road. But it is also beautiful and peaceful and capture my heart on my first visit. I have ended several long backountry trips at this remote lake and find it the prefect way to ease back into the real world. There are some good photos in the Photography section that will give you taste of Kintla.

Heff
In Vino Veritas, In Cerevisia Felicitas
In Wine Truth, In Beer Happiness
Leenc

Post by Leenc »

Wow, thanks so much for all the help this forum is great.
Yes i did get Atlanta to Seattle for $189 with taxes i think it came to $223 round trip, it took me 1 1/2 hrs to lock it in but got a sat to sat.
I think we will take all of the advise and spend some time in both a secluded site like Kintia and in Many.
I have one more question about do we need to rent a 4X4 sounds like yes for Kintia??
Thanks again.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Leenc wrote:Do we need to rent a 4X4 sounds like yes for Kintia?
A 4 wheel drive vehicle is not a requirement to drive to Kintla Lake. Just about any type car, van etc. can make it. The North Fork Road between the Camas entrance and Polebridge entrance station is dusty and bumpy gravel. The road from the Pole Bridge Entrance Station to Kintla Lake is narrow, gravel and does have plenty of bumps. Lots of Dust on the whole way. But still any regular type vehicle can make it in there. I would not try with a large RV though. Drive slow and enjoy the scenery.

If you are renting be sure to check the fine print on your rental contract as many of them prohibit using the vehicle on gravel roads. Not sure how one could avoid gravel in Montana but thats whats on the contract.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.

Return to “Camping”