Beaver Woman Lake

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

GuloGulo
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Beaver Woman Lake

Post by GuloGulo »

During the last week of June and first week of July 6/30 - 7/10) I'm thinking of takaing 7 or 8 days to hike over Cutbank Pass and into Beaver Woman Lake. I heard it's a great remote location in the Park.

The plan would be to spend the the first night at either Noname or Oldman. The next night in Nyack/Coal Creek halfway between Cutbank Pass and Beaver Woman.

The next two nights at Beaver Woman and then come out back over Cutbank and stay at either OLD or NON.

Is this too early in the season for this route and does anyone know the status of downed trees on the N/CC portion of the trail? Also, any suggestions on where to spend the 2nd and 5th nights? What would be a good area to camp between Cutbank Pass and BEA?

Thanks for your help.

Phil
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Beaver Woman Lake

Post by Ear Mountain »

It's hard to say what the snow conditions might be the last of June on the route you propose. Hard to say if it will be too early in the season. Here's a few things I do know about the route.

There is always a fairly steep snowbank that guards the east side of Cut Bank Pass. If you are coming from Oldman you will have to cross this snowbank. It might be possible to either drop down below it or go around it over the top but that will require a lot of energy expenditure. If you are coming from No Name you could carefully drop down the ridge above Cut Bank Pass. That's the good news, the bad news is that there is another difficult snowbank on the west ridge of Mount Morgan that could still be a problem in late June. I don't know about the feasibility of going over or under that one. Crossing either of these might require an that every member of the party have an ice axe and the knowledge and experience of how to use it.

The trail from Cut Bank Pass down to the Nyack is not built to the standards of most other trails in Glacier. It is very steep and in some places difficult to follow. It is there though. The last time I hiked down to the Nyack (mid July 2005) one of my companions suggested that a rope might be necessary for that trail. In retrospect, no rope needed, but it is indeed steep, very steep. On the hike up one of our party wanted to rest and sat down on the trail. There was so much brush on either side she decided to rest in the middle of the trail and we all sat down. Before a few minutes had passed she was sound asleep. It is a tough climb back up to Cut Bank Pass.

There will be at least five stream crossings on your route. How difficult they will be cannot be known this early in the spring. The first will be where the Nyack trail crosses the stream flowing down the valley from Cut Bank Pass. We waded that at about knee deep in mid July so late June could be deeper. Then the trail crosses Nyack Creek via a wide ford. Water there might be about the same depth as the first crossing but the current will be greater. Then on the trail up to Surprise Pass you will cross the stream draining that area twice. Slippery rock ledges and swift water could be the problem there. Finally on the trail into Beaver Woman Lake you cross the upper reaches of Coal Creek. This ford was difficult in mid July so might be tough in late June, depending on snowmelt and June precipitation.

As far as downed trees that early in the summer -- you can count on them. They will be there. Trail status pages for these areas might be updated by the time you start but that won't make much difference if the trail crews have not done their thing - which is unlikely that early.

I'd also expect lot of mosquitos in the valleys in late June. As far as where to camp I can't be of much help. You could use the designated Upper Nyack campground but it will require 2,7 miles of travel down the Nyack valley and back up the next day. At least the designated site has food hanging, an outhouse and you know there will be tent space.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
GuloGulo
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Beaver Woman Lake

Post by GuloGulo »

Thanks for the quick and detailed response. It sounds like this route will be more difficult than I'm prepared for. The steepness you describe doesen't sound good for me carrying 6 days worth of food and gear. That along with snowbanks requiring ice axes and challenging creek fords and serious skeeters is more than I am up for. I'll wait until I get out there to learn the current conditions and then choose a route more to my ability.

Thanks,

Phil

Return to “Camping”